Campagnolo 10Speed Barend shift -upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Post Man Pat

by Post Man Pat

I wonder If something like that could be done for shimano barcons. They are claims at 168g.

Also I wonder if it be possible to replace the levers with the carbon ones from btp that are for down tube shifters.

wezep

by wezep

C a s r a n wrote:(how light are the Shimano ones in fact?).

Just received the Shimano bar end shfiters:

For those who can't read the weight: 182gr.

Other nice equipment:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

Post Man Pat wrote:I wonder If something like that could be done for shimano barcons. They are claims at 168g.

Also I wonder if it be possible to replace the levers with the carbon ones from btp that are for down tube shifters.

I wondered that as well. If that would be possible, it would be soo sweet!!

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

for the left one - yes - as I have done with a modolo kronos...
very light - photo soon...

g

maxxevv

by maxxevv

C a s r a n wrote:
Post Man Pat wrote:I wonder If something like that could be done for shimano barcons. They are claims at 168g.

I wondered that as well. If that would be possible, it would be soo sweet!!

For Shimano downtube shifters, they are the same as for barend. So for Shimano, they will fit. Never played with a Campy set, so don't know if they are interchangeable.

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

C a s r a n wrote:Well, about the rubbers, I think I will have to give it a try on one of my TT builds to know the exact weight difference. I will let you know!

Thanks to Tillquist for the alloy bolts to upgrade my Campa TT shifters, custom anodized in blue. It's a great effect ! :thumbup:

I installed them yesterday and now wonder if I would take off the rubbers on the shifters. Each rubber is about 3 grams. I gives the shifters even a more classic and minimalistic look. What do you guys think?

Tillquist

by Tillquist

C a s r a n wrote: I installed them yesterday and now wonder if I would take off the rubbers on the shifters. Each rubber is about 3 grams. I gives the shifters even a more classic and minimalistic look. What do you guys think?

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/7749 ... de5wy7.jpg

I'm happy you like them :)

I think they look great without rubber and you save 6 gram :thumbup:
See all my bike h e r e

airsoft510

by airsoft510

I think they look a lot better with out the rubber... especially with the campy logo showing

C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005

by C a s r a n

airsoft510 wrote:I think they look a lot better with out the rubber... especially with the campy logo showing

Yes, the engraved Campy logo is great and classy. And I still have to clean them (there was some glue on it).

Ghastly

by Ghastly

as I said on the belgian forum: keep them off! Lighter, nicer and actually no (much) need for the rubber on those shifters...

The thing that is sticking out of your right shifter is that used to tighten (or loosen) the cable? Can't you get rid off that also or do you have to have the ensurance that you can play with the derailleur in races without having to take your hands of the bar?

If you know what i mean...

BmanX

by BmanX

I would like to see the BTP carbon lever on a set of Dura-Ace bar-end shifter. Does anyone have any pictures?

Tristan

by Tristan

C a s r a n wrote:
airsoft510 wrote:I think they look a lot better with out the rubber... especially with the campy logo showing

Yes, the engraved Campy logo is great and classy. And I still have to clean them (there was some glue on it).

So under the rubber they've gone to the effort / cost of engraving the logo? How very strange!

How did you get the rubber off? Was it cut or can you pull it off?
Wheelworks.co.nz
New Zealand handbuilt wheels

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

I pulled mine off with ease, chipped off the hardest/thickest parts of the glue, then used mineral spirits to remove the rest...

I wish they had never put the rubber on!

I think the logo is cast/forged in place vs. engraved

g

Ruds

by Ruds

It looks like the down tube shifters are the same mechanism as the bar end ones :D

I looked on the shimano technical documents. But obviosly I can't really be sure untill I have tried it :? Does anyone know where I can buy the BTP shift leavers from in the UK?

Thanks

BmanX

by BmanX

@ Ruds

If you get them to work let me know. I am now thinking that maybe I should buy some to try as well. I might be picking up a pair of the Easton Attack TT bars and these would look amazing on the end of the Attack TT extensions. Very Very cool if it works out.

Now all I have to do is figure out if I am going to sell my Tektro carbon levers for some of the new Bontrager carbon aero levers or if I hold out even longer and get the new Sram carbon aero levers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com