Alanera

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mahoney

by Mahoney

Any thoughts?
I had the cinelli ram bars and I cannot recommend them, they were super flexy, it was like trying to steer a bike by holding on to rubber bands, and what really gets me is all the reviews out there that say they are super stiff, have these reviewers ever ridden these bars or do they (alu) and it is excellent. none the less I have heard that the alanera by deda is a good product that delivers on the promiss, I did see eric zabel using it inn the tour de france but before and after the tour he was using alu newton bars, and pettachi also choose the newtons to the alanera which was speced for his bike in the preseason. any how If I could get a good product I might try the carbon bars again they certainly look kool, I'd definityly have a pimped out ride, but only if the performance was there.

Second question about the alanera bars does anybody know the dimensions of the "flat" top section of the bar hieight to deepth, just wondered if it has a 2:1 ratio, hence it might offer some airodynamic benifit to a round tube.

Thanks
El Mahone

userdeleted

by userdeleted

More likely than not, Petacchi's choice of bars has nothing to do with the technological charicteristics but with the shape...the alanera only comes in anatomic form, petacchi prefers the italian shallow drop. and zabel was probably paid to ride those bars. in summary: what pros ride, even among different products under the same sponsor, means nothing.

aero benefit? doubtful...negligable at best.

If you like how they look, I'd get them. Zabel riding them doesn't mean that they are stiff, but it means they are stiff ENOUGH for a sprinter to use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gandini

by gandini

So just because the Deda bars are used by pros they are better than the Cinellis? Some pros use the Cinellis also. I use them, and find them to be well within the "flex" limits of lightweight (for bar/stem combo) components. I'm no hammer, and don't demand too much of my bike parts, (so I can ride a 12lb bike with no problems at all.) I'm not denying your experience, but I always feel it's important in this world of very small sample sizes to provide a relevant observation just to keep the point estimate accurate, and the standard error small!

cheers,

userdeleted

by userdeleted

I'm just referencing Zabel using them as showing that they CAN be used by someone with a high power output. Zabel could also probably use the Cinelli RAM, but whatever. In all reality, if you think the Cinelli is flexy, you'll probably think the alanera is flexy...i doubt theyre very different. but they CAN be used by a stong person...but if you dont like the flex, dont get them.

Velozirrapt0r

by Velozirrapt0r

I like newton stem/bar couple as I have heard they are noticeably stiffer than itm millenium (alu); but both have a good price in comparison to those integrated, but aren't so cool.

I found alanera really pretty, and in a "aero weenies forum" what sounds dispreciable is 15gr of difference between 2 parts.... :)
flat transitioner shimanoist

Mahoney

by Mahoney

Velozirrapt0r,
What do you mean 15grams difference,
actual weight or drag?
And what aero weenies forum?

thanks
El Mahone

Velozirrapt0r

by Velozirrapt0r

Excuse me Mahoney; my english is a bit poor;
I would mean that I find alanera more aero; may be is a minimum gain over a round shaped bar, but for those crazy for the aero probably would find it worthy. The same way, weight weenies find an important advantadge when saving 15g.
I don't know if aero-weenies forum does exist; we can create it!!
I know what makes me faster is a good training, and having a decent bike (in weight and in aero, since I'm an "Itu style" triathlon racer). But I love having a superlight superaero bike at the same time... I feel faster.... :roll:
flat transitioner shimanoist

Raman

by Raman

The Cinelli Ram's have a few issues. They tend to crack at the mounting points of the brakes. It has become a warranty nightmare for my twof my friends who own prominent cycling shops here in southern california.

Deda Alanera has no such issues, they are very strong and reliable. You may also want to check out the new FSA Plasma.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com