Zero Gravity setup.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

I just got a pair of zero g´s. I can´t get them set up properly. The cables slip out of the holders if I brake. What am i doing wrong???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rustychain

by rustychain

The cable runs on the inside (toward the center of the brake) of the bolt. You will see a small cutout for the cable. The cable is clamped by the washer and screw to this cutout.

sharkman

by sharkman

rustychain is right. 4 nm should be more than enough (at least for campy cables) to hold them tight.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

sharkman wrote:rustychain is right. 4 nm should be more than enough (at least for campy cables) to hold them tight.

Eh well I´m changing LBS, the local mech set them up and they slipped of when I was braking (luckily riding alone and not downhill!)
Talk about breaking a sweat!

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

rustychain wrote:The cable runs on the inside (toward the center of the brake) of the bolt. You will see a small cutout for the cable. The cable is clamped by the washer and screw to this cutout.

Let me get this straight. Not between the washer and screw, but washer and screw on the same side? And thanx!

rustychain

by rustychain

the cable should be setting in the slot with the washer over the cable and the bolt over the washer. The head of the bolt is to small to hold the cable, thats why you need the washer. I have my brakes setup this way with no slipping. I did a panic stop last week, I was going 20mph+, skided 15 feet (it was my fault and the ladies car is ok :oops) these brakes will stop you just fine.

rustychain

by rustychain

One other thing just in case you did not hear, replace the brake pads with koolstop (black) or DA7800. Much better then the koolstop orange extreme weather pads that come with the brakes.

gandini

by gandini

My 0G-05 brakes came with black pads that look surprisingly like Zipp pads. They stop very well my Zipp 280 rims with silica ceramic brake surfaces. The pads are not lightened.
I set the calipers up as per the instructions that came with the brakes (why did you not get them?) and have not experienced any slipping or failure of the brakes. They are confidence inspiring, stop better than the 04 Record brakes I had before with better feel and progression.

End of testimonial...

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

rustychain wrote:One other thing just in case you did not hear, replace the brake pads with koolstop (black) or DA7800. Much better then the koolstop orange extreme weather pads that come with the brakes.

Thx. I replaced them with the 7800´s. Im really looking forward to trying them out when they are properly set up. :twisted:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

gandini wrote:My 0G-05 brakes came with black pads that look surprisingly like Zipp pads. They stop very well my Zipp 280 rims with silica ceramic brake surfaces. The pads are not lightened.
I set the calipers up as per the instructions that came with the brakes (why did you not get them?) and have not experienced any slipping or failure of the brakes. They are confidence inspiring, stop better than the 04 Record brakes I had before with better feel and progression.

End of testimonial...

I did get them. But not being the most practical man on earth I trusted my LBS with the setup job. Resulted in that non braking experience. Changed LBS and will check setup before I ride. Tnx for the replies