Ceramic Bearings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spytech

by spytech

nikh wrote:You got me thinking about replacing the bearings in my King headset :shock: :cry:

i think in the future, all bearings will be ceramic, from what i read its easier to make a more perfectly rounder ball bearing. quality is almost always great.

so, everyone lets upgrade to a smoother rolling lighter future :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Joel

by Joel

The WR bike has just the lightest components, not the best

nicrump

by nicrump

ok,ok. i said a while back. it was '93 to be exact. came back from interbike with them. so, that said, they have come a long way.

nicrump

by nicrump

The centrifugal load is described by F= -mT2R where m is the weight of the ball. Because the density of silicium nitride is 60% of steel, the centrifugal load is reduced by using these balls with 60%. As a consequence the running speed can be increased up to 30%.
Because the E-modulus of silicium nitride is about 1.5 times that from steel, a smaller contact surface exists with the consequence of a high contact pressure. So, the benefit of a small centrifugal load is limited by the large E-modulus. From Hertz theory it follows that the maximum load for the combination steel- silicium nitride reduced with 30%.

A decrease of 60% centrifugal loading in combination with a 30% decrease in load capacity finally results in an increase of running speed with only 15%.

A third effect, that frictional heating between the ceramic balls and the steel rings is less, further positively affect the maximum running speed.

nikh

by nikh

Thanks for that....I think :shock: :? :)
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

spytech

by spytech

nicrump wrote:The centrifugal load is described by F= -mT2R where m is the weight of the ball. Because the density of silicium nitride is 60% of steel, the centrifugal load is reduced by using these balls with 60%. As a consequence the running speed can be increased up to 30%.
Because the E-modulus of silicium nitride is about 1.5 times that from steel, a smaller contact surface exists with the consequence of a high contact pressure. So, the benefit of a small centrifugal load is limited by the large E-modulus. From Hertz theory it follows that the maximum load for the combination steel- silicium nitride reduced with 30%.

A decrease of 60% centrifugal loading in combination with a 30% decrease in load capacity finally results in an increase of running speed with only 15%.

A third effect, that frictional heating between the ceramic balls and the steel rings is less, further positively affect the maximum running speed.

did you think that out yourself, or do you have a source?

JTC

by JTC

This all sounds very interesting. Will it be possible to replace the bearing in the head set and hubs? We need a guinea pig to try this out. Any ideas on real weight savings? Is it going to be worth the cost and effort?

Superlite

by Superlite

In the words of Master P. NAH!! I called one of those places today, to replace the bearings in my rear hub around $700!!!!!!! HOLY SNIHCKIES!!

nikh

by nikh

Superlite wrote:In the words of Master P. NAH!! I called one of those places today, to replace the bearings in my rear hub around $700!!!!!!! HOLY SNIHCKIES!!

Da-da-damnnnnnnnnn, thats a whole lot of money!!

Superlite

by Superlite

TELL ME ABOUT IT!! i could buy another set of my wheels for that much. Guess thats why Z 3 wheels cost 3 g's, vs, 1350 for an almost identical set of 303's. I don't know about you guys but unless I start ridding in the Tour regular bearings are plenty good for me.

nikh

by nikh

I'd like some FIR wheels for my MTB 1200g!! But they cost around 2.5K!!

Superlite

by Superlite

Do those have ceramic bearings? Or just a random thought? :wink:

nikh

by nikh

Just dreaming along with ceramic bearings!!

Kirkster

by Kirkster

spytech wrote:
nicrump wrote:The centrifugal load is described by F= -mT2R where m is the weight of the ball. Because the density of silicium nitride is 60% of steel, the centrifugal load is reduced by using these balls with 60%. As a consequence the running speed can be increased up to 30%.

C'mon Guys just ride the damn Bike! :roll:
Marching on Together...............

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nicrump

by nicrump

a valid point, but the wrong forum. this is about geeking out over weight and physics.