Olympic champion Hamilton: doping

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Adri

by Adri

In Museeuws case (a monument in cycling having been wordlchampion and won 10 World Cup races ao ) it's all hush-hush for the moment but you can bet they have not given him a 2-year suspension for TALKING about doping! :roll:

He will sue anyone publicly printing he took doping, so beware :oops:
Auribus teneo lupum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

divve

by divve

I thought he was an insect collector? Specifically, wasps and bugs....

Perry

by Perry

I tink this is discusting from a sponsor (Bell)

but i guess they dont want to lose a investment

Adri

by Adri

divve wrote:I thought he was an insect collector? Specifically, wasps and bugs....

Collecting "insects" or even talking about them on the phone won't get you 2 years suspension... :shock: Must be more than that, but hush is the word so far.. we will probabaly have to wait for the trial against Landuyt (the cattle seller) , the main player in this smelly business , to know more about what really happened
Auribus teneo lupum

Trek/VW

by Trek/VW

This starts to look like Festina #2 for me.
First Oscar Camenzind,
then Tyler Hamilton
...and now Santiago Perez: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/oct04/oct30newsflash

And wasn't Alex Zulle doped a few years ago too?

And BTW, isn't it a little suspicious that nearly 50% of the pro peloton were "food poisoned" (Perez too) right after WADA and UCI said that they could discover blood doping???

gerry

by gerry

disappointing but not too surprising these days. i wonder if tyler's dog is turning over in it's grave?

Adri

by Adri

Another Phonak rider is under fire. Santiago Perez . There is also talk (only rumour for the moment but where there is smoke..) of blood doping in the Vuelta.
I seem to remember that even at the Vuelta itself there was mention of another Phonak rider who was positive. Strange it took so long before the news actually got out.

Code: Select all

Santi Perez positive for blood transfusion? 
According to Spanish newspaper Marca, Phonak's Santiago Perez has tested postive for blood transfusion in a doping control, said to have been carried out just before or during the Vuelta a España, where the 27 year old rider finished second overall. Marca claimed that a counter-analysis has already been performed, and also showed evidence of blood transfusion.

Marca also published that the alleged doping offence was the reason for Perez' non-participation at the 2004 World Championships in Verona, which he skipped because of gastroenteritis according to his management. The newspaper attributed the rider's difficulties renewing his contract with the Swiss Phonak team to the positive doping control. The reason why the UCI or the Spanish cycling federation haven't issued an official statement yet is said to be due to a technical mistake, as neither the rider nor a representative of the team were present at the analysis of the B sample.

If these allegations prove to be true, Santiago Perez will be the second rider in history to have tested positive for a blood transfusion, after his teammate Tyler Hamilton.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/oct04/oct30newsflash
Auribus teneo lupum

gerry

by gerry

i read and interesting theory to explain the two positive tests. tyler swears he never had a transfusion of another person's blood. maybe he didn't knowingly do it. what if he was suspost to get a tranfusion of his own blood? (still cheating but there is no way to be caught for this yet). what if perez, being on the same team was on the same program. what if their blood types are the same but were accidentally miss labelled and they got each others juice. it would explain why two positive tests came out on the same team and why each person was shocked at the positive test. hmmmmm

Adri

by Adri

Hmmmmmm indeed
to me these guys are cheats and first class liars to boot :evil:

If they only had the balls to admit their mistake and accept the penalty, like Filip Meirhaeghe did, but no, they keep scheming and trying to wiggle their tails out of it.. shame on them. :unbelievable:

One wonders if sodium pentothal should be used here
:twisted:
Auribus teneo lupum

Oenk

by Oenk

[quote="Adri"]In Museeuws case (a monument in cycling having been wordlchampion and won 10 World Cup races ao )

Amai

A guy from Belgium who doesn't know that Museeuw won 11 World Cups :shock: :?

doozer

by doozer

'I believe Tyler'... surely he's inncent because he's a great guy??

Yerr right.. look at Virenque... denied it til he couldn't any more..then cried lots and was subsequently adored by cycling fans until his retirement. nice guys don't dope or cheat.. get real.

sadest thing I ever saw was in a race in Italy. Lots of the locals were on amphetamines (doping control was never staffed as they were paid byt he top teams not to show up :shock: ). went as part of an english squad.. we knew that we beat most of the guys who were openly dooping although the top riders were probably more discrete. Anyway, at the final prize presentation this dude who was a bout 30 was clearly wired on drugs.. he had dilated pupils and was chewing the corner of his jersey.. he went up to receive his prize and then went to stand with his young wife and 3yr old daughter.. absolutely tragic..

i blame the riders and the system for doping problems.. but you can't rely on riders to suddenly stop doping..the stakes are too high even if in later life they suffer the consequences. it's up to WADA and the UCI to adopt good accurate tests that stay up with the cheats and to make cheaters pay.

dooz
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

Adri

by Adri

Oenk wrote:
Adri wrote:In Museeuws case (a monument in cycling having been wordlchampion and won 10 World Cup races ao )

Amai

A guy from Belgium who doesn't know that Museeuw won 11 World Cups :shock: :?

Lets see: I have

Ronde Van Vlaanderen : 1993/1995/1998
Paris Roubaix : 1996/2000/2002
Amstel Gold Race : 1994
Kampioenschap Van Zurich : 1991/1995
Paris Tours : 1993

In 2002 he also won the HEW Classic, does that count as a World Cup, I'm not sure

Which one am I missing then?
Auribus teneo lupum

Oenk

by Oenk

Adri wrote:
In 2002 he also won the HEW Classic, does that count as a World Cup, I'm not sure

Which one am I missing then?

You miss nothing: Hamburg=WC

gerry

by gerry

i guess they had a good case against johan becasue he is just going to take his lumps.

where are we?

world road champ
world mtb champ
world time trial champ
olympic gold medalist
classics legend
grand tour podium finishers

and that's just the big ones. so now we have proof that even the biggest athletes with everything to loose cheat/dope. why do people think tyler is above all of this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

The UCI needs to step up and grow some balls. The testing is available and they need to see down and test those guys. The ones that come up positive ought to be banned for life. It's truely very simple...if you make the consequences of doping so sever that getting caught means never racing again. There might be incentive for them to stop...and to say that it's the UCI's fault for doping is ludacriscy. The UCI isn't injecting them, the UCI isn't telling them to do drugs. It's the teams and the riders themselves. I do understand the feeling that without drugs they won't be competitive because if everyone is doing them and you're not then there is the potential you'd get left behind. But I don't really buy into that excuse.

Perhaps they should put them all on drugs that way there would be a level playing field and when they all drop dead at 35 no one will wonder why.