How old are Storck Power Arms Cranksets?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

I've been thinking about getting these cranks several times, but I always find a reason not to. First it was price, but that's no longer an issue, then availability, but my bike shop is now a storck dealer :lol: , but the two things that drive me crazy are the use of a square taper bottom bracket which is obsolite. Why don't they use ISIS, or are they planning on using ISIS in the near future? And Power Arms are kinda old. from what I can tell they have been out for at least 5 years, is that right? If so then you would think they would come out with something better and lighter. Well give me the down low on this. Thanks.

nikh

by nikh

I would have thought if Storck was going to release someting new it would have been at one of this years bike shows. (but you just never know)
It's part of the risk you take, somethings always going to beat you eventually maybe tomorrow maybe next year.
Sq. taper is fine mate it with a 'tuned' Tune BB with ceramic bearings (there is no lighter BB) and your set.
The 104mm length weighs 116g and would cost you 1480 euros!!
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Is that right, 1480 Euros! $1600 for a Bottom Bracket! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell me its a typo, PLEASE!

But do you know the first year Power arms were available?

Joel

by Joel

[quote="Superlite"]I've been thinking about getting these cranks several times, but I always find a reason not to. First it was price, but that's no longer an issue, then availability, but my bike shop is now a storck dealer :lol: , but the two things that drive me crazy are the use of a square taper bottom bracket which is obsolite. Why don't they use ISIS, or are they planning on using ISIS in the near future? And Power Arms are kinda old. from what I can tell they have been out for at least 5 years, is that right? If so then you would think they would come out with something better and lighter. Well give me the down low on this. Thanks.[/quot

First: they are the LIGHTEST (Cat is 10g lighter, but it's hard to get them)
Second: they make also and ISIS taper, but with square taper the bearings last much longer (FRM square BB: 145g)
OK, they are old, but that's also a qaulity thing, it's hard to make them lighter

Superlite

by Superlite

They make them with ISIS? Where can I get them at? I've never seen them anywhere! But also answer my question ,how old are they?

Joel

by Joel

Superlite wrote:Is that right, 1480 Euros! $1600 for a Bottom Bracket! WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!! Tell me its a typo, PLEASE!

But do you know the first year Power arms were available?

Just go FRM, slightly heavier and about 100 euro :lol:

Superlite

by Superlite

What about where to buy ISIS version, my dealer doesn't even have these.

Joel

by Joel

Superlite wrote:What about where to buy ISIS version, my dealer doesn't even have these.

Carbon Kurbeln, Powerarms Pro Campa, Road 315 g/172,5mm für Campagnolo- Kettenblätter 579,00 €
Carbon Kurbeln, Powerarms Pro, Road 315 g/172,5mm für Shimano Dura Ace- Kettenblätter 499,00 €
Carbon Kurbeln, Powerarms Pro, MTB 310 g, 175mm, Stern XT 499,00 €
Carbon Kurbeln, Powerarms Team, Vierkant, 420g, 175mm, Stern XT/XTR 299,00 €
Carbon Kurbeln, Powerarms Team, Vielzahn, 420g, 175mm, Stern XT/XTR 325,00 €
Kurbelstern XT 25,00 €
Kurbelstern XTR 25,00 €
Kurbelstern Dura Ace 25,00 €

This comes from the Storck site, in Europa you can get them both in square and ISIS and I've heard they make them also for Shimano

nikh

by nikh

No typo, you might try to get some ceramic bearings yourself?
I just checked the hosts of this website Gypzybikz.com and they don't have the Storck in ISIS only in sq.taper
Perhaps Florian can answer this question and the age of them also?
I have used Gypzybikz twice now and on both occasions they have performed flawlessly.

Superlite

by Superlite

Joel, that post said nothing about ISIS or shimano compatable. Do you have a link to any real information?
Last edited by Superlite on Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Superlite

by Superlite

Yeah Florian, lend us a helping hand, what do you know about this?

I'm sure they work great Nikh, but my local shop is now a storck dealer so if I buy Im going through him. I asked him to check on ISIS availability, so i might find out from his dealer soon.

nikh

by nikh

Fair enough.

Even Poshbikes don't list them.

http://www.poshbikes.com/index01.html

Joel

by Joel

Superlite wrote:Joel, that post said nothing about ISIS or shimano compatable. Do you have a link to any real information?

The weight weenie Tsielio has them in ISIS on his TT bike.
Mail him and you'll know they make them

Superlite

by Superlite

It's not that I don't beleive you I just wanna see a site that talks about them.

Poshbikes needs to update there site badly. It's been at least a year since!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

What are you building?