Anybody here use Campagnolo Record 10's with a DA RearDerail

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robjustice

by robjustice

Im building a bike. I have a complete Dura Ace Drivetrain(NineSpeed)-minus the shifters. I have been looking at buying a set of Campagnolo record 10's and using them instead. Has anyone here done this? I have found a couple of articles about it. Most say that you do, not need to use the shiftmate. To adjust it and then use the highlimit screw to lock 10th out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dellucci

by Dellucci

Hello Robjustice , well ,someone here in Luxembourg tols me that it wont work.However I would be very pleased about it if it could work , because I had the same idea :sorry: two years ago.So.........tell me if it works.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I've never tried, but I seriously doubt that the increments for each cog would be the same as 9sp DA.

Get your hands on a pair of Campy 9sp shifters and it should work.

gandini

by gandini

Check this web site out (Harris Cyclery( http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
It shows that the cogs and spacing of the Campy 10 and the Shimano 9 are the closest of any combination, so it might just work, especially if you are only using 9 gears. That said, I have tried using the 9 speed shimano cogs with some aftermarket al and ti sets with mixed success--individual cogs work (like 13, 14) but the smaller ones 11. 12 don't.
Still, you might be able to shave the spacers a little as required. The campy 10s Ultra chain works fine with individual Sh. cogs.

good luck,
philip

robjustice

by robjustice

Thanks for the input guys. Heres the article that I have been reading where they did it, looks like Im going to try it. Check it out and let me know what you think. http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

andyrr

by andyrr

Also the whole campag/shimano compatability has been discussed here :
http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topi ... C_ID=36442

marko

by marko

Personal experience. I have mirage 9 shifters on my cross bike. I had a ultergra rear der. No matter what I did it wouldn't shift. I bought a centaur derailuer and it worked fine. It worked on Shimano and campy cogs no problem. I have no clue why the derailuer made a difference as it only goes where the controler sends it. I have record 10 on my road bike and have used a DA 10 rear wheel no problem. The 9 to 10 could be problematic.

Mr_Potatohead

by Mr_Potatohead

I'm running Campy 10S shifters with an Ultegra derailleur and 9S shimano cassette. I had to modify the cable clamping in order to change the ratio of cable travel to derailleur swing. Google for Shimagnolo.

I imagine the 10S shifters with 10S dura-ace would require a less radical change in cable routing to accomplish the same result.

andyrr

by andyrr

marko wrote:I have no clue why the derailuer made a difference as it only goes where the controler sends it. I have record 10 on my road bike and have used a DA 10 rear wheel no problem. The 9 to 10 could be problematic.

All rear ders will not just, I think, move by a set amount as dictated by the shifter, as campag and shimano ders (and it also probably varies with 5/6/7/8//10 sets) will have differing movements, ie shifter pulls 5mm cable and 1 der moves 7mm, same shifter but different rear der, 5mm cable pull results in 6mm der movement. So it's not as simple as it might seem !
I think the Sheldon and the Cycling Plus web pages are useful reading.

jahknob

by jahknob

I've been using Shimano-style rear derailleurs (Precision Billet/Paul's) with Campag Record Ergo levers for some years. Firstly with 9-speed Ergo levers and an 8-speed Shimano cassette (works OK, but if the speed and accuracy of the shift is crucial, go for the matching Campy RD). More recently, I have applied the information found at:

http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

with the help of Roberts Cycles in London, for my project bike:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3170&highlight=

The result is excellent shifting, though it's not as good as a dedicated system. I gave the new bike a solid three days of riding near the foothills of the Pyrenees a couple of weeks ago to snag any problems, and apart from a fractionally delayed shift everything lines up just fine

(NB the cassette I was using was a 9spd Cycle Dynamics Ti 12-23 with profiled teeth and ramps, Shimano-compatible)

Hope this helps!

p.toth

by p.toth

search for "JTEK Shiftmate". with this little tool you can use 10s campa ergos with shimano rear derailleur and cassette or campa rear derailleur with shimano cassette (there are several versions of the tool). and it´s only 12 g! so you can save 80 or 90 g!

p.toth

by p.toth

btw: there is a version for 9s as well!

bobalou

by bobalou

jahknob wrote:
with the help of Roberts Cycles in London, for my project bike:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3170&highlight=

Nice bike .. just wondering, is this the same bike highlighted in the recent C+ magazine under "London Show Stars"? Looks identical.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andyrr

by andyrr

jahknob, is your Precision Billet Proshift essentially function as a Shimano 10speed der ? I really fancy running campag Ergo 10 levers with Shimano 10 rear der/sprockets/chain.