Speedplay X-serie-> Weight reduction 22g

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tillquist

by Tillquist

A littel project agen this afternoon. :)

I made alu-plate for old Speedplay X2, weight save 22gram and this is only for the plate.
The alu-plate are made out of 7075.

The weight reduction is with the original screws.
Attachments
Alu-plate Speedplay X-serie.JPG
X-serie_update.JPG
X-serie_standart.JPG
See all my bike h e r e

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

Would you like to make 3 more sets of those plates for a WW in Canada. If so let me know how much you would do them for?

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

how many threads are there on this idea?

Please do a search, many agree that this is not a good idea.

Ruds

by Ruds

I don't see why replacing the SS speedplay pedal plate with a Aluminium one is such a problem because the cleat pulls up on the underside of the pedal bodies plastic not the metal part. So how would this part fail? Surly the metal 'plate' is there for the engagement mechanism and not the power transfer function of the pedal :?:

popawheelie

by popawheelie

From what I remember alu plates have been in use for a while. I don't remember them being a problem. Superlite was selling them on this forum. Here is a place that sells them now.
http://www.wisecyclebuys.com/index.asp? ... ProdID=322
I went one step further and used alu screws. I drilled and tapped them for a m5 alu screw. I tuned the Ti speedplays down to 131g. :D

BmanX

by BmanX

I agree that they should not be an issue at all. I would assume that they would wear a bit quicker as expected but other than that, lighter is better. I do know that they are available but if someone is actually making them on the site and wants to make a little bit of extra money on the side and they can do me up 3 pairs for a bit less than what they are sellling for then I am in for 3 pairs.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Ask Superlite if he still has some. He was selling them for a while. Unless Tillquist wants to. I don't want to step on your toes Tillquist. Sometimes people will make them for themselves but don't want to sell them.

Rascal

by Rascal

Please do a search, many agree that this is not a good idea.

Used the BC2A alu plates on my X2's for about a year w/Ti screws. At 190-200 pounds and being more of a sprinter than a spinner, I think I gave them a good workout. No catastrophic failures but the edge of the alloy plate did chip away over time (still functional). Currently riding KEO Ti.
-Giant TCR
-CAAD5
-Klein Rascal

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Special colour in Black........

See all my bike h e r e

BmanX

by BmanX

@Tillquist

You are not supposed to show those to anyone until I get them installed on my bikes. The black was special for Canadian's you told me.

Just kidding of course. I can not wait to get my anodized black versions installed.

Thanks.

Tillquist

by Tillquist

bman88 wrote:@Tillquist

You are not supposed to show those to anyone until I get them installed on my bikes. The black was special for Canadian's you told me.

Just kidding of course. I can not wait to get my anodized black versions installed.

Thanks.

Thats right bman88 :wink:

But those are for my new TT-bike.
See all my bike h e r e

BmanX

by BmanX

Very nice. I like the black and they will go on my TT/TRI bike as well as my WW Giant TCR Zero.

Thanks again. Can not wait but have no choice. :wink:

Giant DK

by Giant DK

Actually I don't know if I have said this before, but your work is very stunning. I am very impressed!!! Your TT bars :thumbup: . Your stem :thumbup: . Your seatpost :thumbup: . And these aluplates for Speedplay :thumbup: .

What is comming next???

Should we make a topic especially dedicated to you and your CNC work?The title could be: "Tillquist's kitchen!".
Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

BmanX

by BmanX

I am in for this idea. I liked the idea of the Speedplay's so much that I begged him for 3 pairs. Special Canadian testing. :wink: :lol:

I would like to see more of his work on a special thread.

So lets do it.

Giant DK

by Giant DK

Techn writer at Velomore Denmark

My Simplon Pavo II

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com