Carving in a XTR M95x cranks?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

abo

by abo

holy shit kid_1000 you really are retarded and spell worse then me!

:roll:

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Abo, please be kind.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

abo

by abo

why? im a trials rider, i dont know what kind is

theremery

by theremery

Deleted post. Sometimes I should keep my mouth firmly shut.
Last edited by theremery on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

weenie#1

by weenie#1

Mattias Hellöre wrote:How stiff is these crank?
I milled away a lot as you can see here.

All I could think when I saw this post was, "dumb ass."

sorry.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

I see two newly registered members, maybe a old member who catched up some new friends in his puter..

Anyway I don´t care about these lowlifes.

I just shaved the crank to fit a XT spider and I how have compact M95x cranks, that´s useful.
Experimental Prototype

theremery

by theremery

Post deleted..fair comment by rocky....I'm still annoyed tho...think its rude and should be addressed.
Last edited by theremery on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

shovelon

by shovelon

Mattias Hellöre wrote:
Anyway I don´t care about these lowlifes.

I just shaved the crank to fit a XT spider and I how have compact M95x cranks, that´s useful.

I applaud your tinkering. I have no doubt you know what you are doing. I am quite surprised as well as the inconsistant walls inside. So if these cranks are factory welded, then they could be again. As far as filling the gap, a thin 7005 alloy plate could be welded in to provide more support if needed. I can give you a guideline for welding if you need it.

Keep going, your work here could be very useful for me in the future.

Terry
Down there? DOWN THERE???

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Shovelon: No worry about my skills, I´m a CNC operator, specially in small items like cogwheels and so on.

My former workplace as CNC operator for a Miyano TSV-25, Dynamyte 4400 and Modig MD6000 here: www.kuggteknik.se

I already own a Miller AC/DC TIG welder and can weld something out from Ti, Al, Cr-Mo and so on.

So who thinks I´m a dumbass is fun :)

I was surpries about the poor machining inside the cranks, a beautiful outer does not represent the same inside.

The same goes for some of AC stuff, clearly can see machining marks, that´s a big NO NO in our jobs, you almost must sand down the marks, it´s not crap stuff from China..
Experimental Prototype

weenie#1

by weenie#1

theremery wrote:Don't worry about them Mattias.
Weenie#1..see if you can get a double booking with Abo at the docs.
Hint for new people....turning up and calling people who push the edge and do destructive investigations "dumb-asses" is likely to make you the smelly kid.

1. Sorry, don't know who Abo is or what the f you are talking about...
2. I don' t really know what a smelly kid is either...
3. I guess you could call carving out the back side of a hollow crank arm "pushing the edge" though, riding that crank will most likely have you "pushing up daisies" especially in traffic.
4. Just my opinion.
5. thank you for putting me in my place! I love it when the social hierarchy of the forum is so beautifully illuminated.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

If anyone of you critics can read simple low level english, I cutted to see, I saw I cutted away too much and in wrong place - scrap this and buy a new.

Not too hard to understand?
Experimental Prototype

EddieChi

by EddieChi

Pushing the limit is very informative.
It shows us something different, whether it's what to do or what not to do.
For example, now someone who is sanding and polishing those cranks, knows which spots to hit and which spots to not go so deep on.
Whether a part breaks or not, at least we know what conditions it will take and what stress levels certain parts will take.
Real world experience is more informative than an engineer saying you can use that or you can't use that.
If an engineer says a carbon post is okay for mtb, and 9 out of 10 mountain bikers break their carbon post, then who would you listen to.
I'm sure more than ten years ago people were saying that replacing standard steel bolts with titanium or alum was just crazy and drastic and now it seems like the norm (well at least on this forum anyways :D
Keep up the good work and I can't tell you how informative this board has been for me...

rockymtnway

by rockymtnway

Personally, I'm shocked the moderator has allowed this thread to continue. Way too many personal attacks on both sides. Come on guys, grow up and leave the flaming on mtbr.

I don't diss you for exploring the edge, but that wasn't clear at the beginning of this thread. It only became clear as things progressed, so lighten up.

I do some machining myself (although not CNC), and can certainly understand why Shimano wouldn't waste the time to polish or clean up imperfections on the inside of a crank. No one would normally see it and nothing I see would impact strength. Their external finish is what counts, and it's beautiful. If you want the inside of a crank to look as good as the outside, expect the cost to go up by $20-50/unit.

I don't see XTR cranks as a place where you can save a lot of weight. E-bone would be an easier way to save 100g.
2001 Bianchi SL-2 Reparto Corse
2006 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70
2006 Scott Genius RC-LTD
2007 Rocky Mountain Element 70

collideous

by collideous

rockymtnway wrote:I do some machining myself (although not CNC), and can certainly understand why Shimano wouldn't waste the time to polish or clean up imperfections on the inside of a crank.

It's not like Shimano owns a patent on shrinking Japanese miners to plop them trough a tiny 2mm hole with jack-hammers to go clean up imperfections on the inside of the crank.
blogging at 29in.ch

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

Imperfections are stressrisers and a uncontrollable way to save weight, but are tolerances wide so.

Everything is about acceptable tolerances.

These cranks was not cheap when they was new and not today else.

A interesting debate has been sprung from when I milled away too much in a old crank.

Interesting.
Experimental Prototype