Old Zipp 440 - Decal/Sticker removal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tpatnode

by tpatnode

I have an older pair of Zipp 440s, (now 404s), and want to remove the decal/sticker from them. They are a really ugly lime green. On these older rims, the decal must be silk screened or sublimated on, it's not a sticker.

Has anyone removed these? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tony

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aballas

by aballas

you mean these wheels??

I don't think you can get the decals off...I just ordered a set of 404 stickers to cover them up....

tpatnode

by tpatnode

Juanmore time:

I did try acetone with a shop cloth. I wasn't sure how the acetone would affect the Carbon Fiber, so I didn't try for very long.

Aballas:

Yes, the rims are just like the one on the front of the Bianchi. Where were you able to get the new stickers?

I have wet sanded and been able to get one off, but again, I have to be very careful, afraid of damaging the rim.

Thanks,

Tony

aballas

by aballas

I ordered them from Zipp...just call the customer service number on their website and tell them you want to order a set of 404 decals...

they have great customer service....if you get their voicemail...leave a message....they WILL call you back within the day....

carlchristoopher

by carlchristoopher

Dont be such a wuzz guys. I used acetone on my 1080`s. Rubb the stickers down with a sponge dipped in acetone. Then wash them with water. Did not harm my wheels in any way!

Best regards
-Shut up legs!

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

No those old Zipps have the stickers under a thick layer of clearcoat. Not easy to remove. You can take back the clearcoat and remove them with sandpaper or the razor technique but it'll be a lot of hard work. When you're done you'll have to reapply the clearcoat to the area which may not look perfect.

fastvegan

by fastvegan

I did this years ago with a set of 440's, I used a razor blade 90deg from the surface and shaved back and forth. the decals are about half way under the carbon resin top layer.
It made a huge mess but only took an hour or so per rim.

I have pictures somewhere, I will try to find them.

In hindsight I would add stickers over the old ugly zipp decals.

djm

by djm

Retro cool! Keep them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com