Me, and my Giant

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

geordieboy

by geordieboy

Hi all,

New to this and find it quite interesting the lengths some of you go to lighten your bikes. Is it sometimes at the cost of practicality though?

I have a Giant Reign 2, 2005 model. I know its not a lightweight machine by any stretch, but it suits my riding types and style. However i do want to try and bring the weight down a little, whilst maintaining the ability to ride the same terrain and also keep some durability. I am also not made of money so replacement parts have to be cost effective and not too expensive is replacement is needed.

Weight of this bike when purchased was approx 33lbs (i can see some of you wincing already!)

Here is the current specification (pics will follow later):

2005 medium Giant reign frame
Manitou Nixon Comp forks
FSA integrated headset
Hope H/bar stem - 70mm x 0deg, 31.8mm
Easton EA70 Monkey Bar, 31.8mm
Raceface Evolve XC Seatpost 30.9mm
WTB Saddle
Shimano LX Shifter pods
Shimano Deore XT Rear mech
Shimano LX front mech
Raceface Evolve XC Crankset with 22/36/bashring combo
DMR V8 pedals
Hayes HFX9 Hyd disc brakes 160mm rear/203mm front rotors
Sun Singletrack 32hole rims on Hope Bulb QR front/Hope XC steel rear hubs, with DT swiss double butted silver spokes
Maxxis High Roller maxxpro 2.35 tyres
X-Lite tech 9 qr skewers

Like i said, thats the current spec. After perusing the WW charts, and keeping inline with my initial objectives, I have identified the following upgrades/changes:

XTR rear mech
XTR front mech
Remove OGD on LX shifters(anyone actually use them?)
SDG alloy I-Beam seatpost
SDG Bel Air ST Saddle
Hope M4 disc brakes 160mm rear/180mm front rotors

I approximated this to a weight saving of around 440g (not even a flaming pound!) and a cost approaching £450

Now obviously saving weight on the wheels is more advantageous but I must keep strength in mind. I have therefore considered these as a replacement:

DT Swiss 5.1 rims
DT Swiss 240 6 bolt hubs
DT Swiss DB spokes

Change of tyres to Michelin Expert All Mountain Xtreme

Wondered if anyone had any ideas on the likely weight saving, and/or suitability of these wheels - the hubs in particular.

I know that is a long post, and many thanks to those of you who have read it all and those who take the time to reply.
I will love it if we beat them! Love it!

IanB

by IanB

:welcome:

Getting the weight down on your bike is a slippery slope from here on in, but I'm with you on not compromising function ;)

You're definitely heading along the right lines by getting the weight of the wheels down. As you've stated in your other thread, Hope hubs are worth looking at for being good value and not too heavy. It depends on the type (and weight) of rider you are, but a well built set of Mavic XC717's or DT 4.2's should be pretty strong with DT comp spokes - maybe you don't need to suffer the extra weight of the 5.1's?

I don't know much about SDG stuff, but I thought it was quite pricey. Its not very weightweenie, but I use a USE carbon post and a WTB Rocket V ti saddle. Dead comfy and nice and strong.

With the the brakes - you should find all the stopping power you need in Hope Moto V2's, with less weight than the M4's

IMO, XTR mechs don't offer much of a weight saving for the difference in price over XT, but its certainly something you can upgrade to if you have the cash...

Another good place to look to save some weight is the tyres - I use Nokian NBX 2.3 on my Nicolai, which are really quite light for the width and offer good grip on rocky stuff, which I figure you have a good bit of in Scotland ;)
If you want some more racey (read puncture prone), look at Schwalbe Nobby Nic's in the 2.25" width.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

geordieboy

by geordieboy

Thanks for the reply, was beginning to think that as i wasnt building up a sub 9kilo full susser or similar i was being snubbed! :lol:

I had looked at the hope hoops wheelsets that are available, which come with either 4.2 or 5.1 rims. Was a bit worried about strength of 4.2s as i do like to occassionally put the hammer down. Ride Glentress, Fort William, and my local downhill track,though i suppose i could keep the old wheels for the harder days out.

Have also looked more closely at the sdg i-beam setup, and the actual weight of the seatpost isnt too far off my current one, so not sure it is particularly cost effective as a weight saving measure.

My Manitou Nixons may also get changed to Pace RC41 Fighters as i think i can save nearly a pound in weight here.

I will keep the forum updated with my changes and weights of the bike, along with pictures as they are carried out.

Thanks very much for your useful input also :D

geordieboy

by geordieboy

P.s.

As for the carbon seatpost, i run one on my road bike and admit they not only look great but offer real benefits other than weight. However its not really an option for my Giant as I do like to have the option of lowering and raising my saddle during a ride, and this might have a detrimental effect on a carbon post.

IanB

by IanB

geordieboy wrote:I do like to have the option of lowering and raising my saddle during a ride, and this might have a detrimental effect on a carbon post.

Good point. I have an alloy USE alien for this reason, which strangely is lighter than the carbon equivalent in a 31.6mm diameter :?

I've heard that RC41 Fighters are a little twangy, but they do represent a good option for a long travel fork. I use the RC41 XCAM, which are great, but its worth asking around of people who have tried the fighters.

geordieboy

by geordieboy

well, here she is.

Apologies for the poor pic, i am waiting on some sunshine so I can take some good ones outside, and sunshine is something we are not getting much of up in scotland at the moment.[/img]

geordieboy

by geordieboy

Picture isnt great, waiting on sunshine to take some outside.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201 ... AG0007.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

geordieboy

by geordieboy

As promised, here is a better pic of my Giant Reign 2

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201 ... C00496.jpg

hope you like and any obvious weight saving comments welcome.