Pumps

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BenCousins

by BenCousins

What do you weight weenies use to re-inflate tyres?

There are a couple of light solutions - C02 and mini pumps (like the Topeak Rocket Micro and Crank Brothers Power Pump Ultra. What are people's thoughts about these solutions?

Nicolai

by Nicolai

EURO wrote:What do you weight weenies use to re-inflate tyres?

There are a couple of light solutions - C02 and mini pumps (like the Topeak Rocket Micro and Crank Brothers Power Pump Ultra. What are people's thoughts about these solutions?

CO2s. If they don't work, fix the problem, I'll call me wifey, and tell her to get her pretty a*se on the driver seat, and pick me up. Jalla jalla! :roll:

Vittoria Pitstop is not a bad option either to, it somewhat inflates your tire too.
Oh! - Suits you sir!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wasfast

by wasfast

CO2. Just make sure you have 2 cartridges. Some prefer to carry a mini pump but I've been happy the last 4 years with CO2.

CaptainWilier

by CaptainWilier

There are some topics on this, search please. Some like CO2, some like pumps, some just pray.
MyGiant! MyScalpel!
".....but our amps go to eleven"

big steve

by big steve

I always rely on my mini pump, as it never runs out of CO2 :roll:

However, I have had one puncture in 4 and a half year of road riding and it struggled to reinflate my tyres fully, or maybe it was just my arms that were getting sore...

Skunk

by Skunk

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I dont use CO2 cartridges anymore. First, you need at least 2 to be safe on long rides, so a i carry a pump instead. Besides, i dont like the fact you gotta throw it in the garbage either.

So i carry a spare tube, a tiny park tool kit, topeak pocket rocket, a vittoria pit stop, my cellphone, my wallet and my house keys :D I dont use a saddle bag either, always carry a tiny backpack.

rustychain

by rustychain

From a WW perspective my carbon one mini pump is lighter then a 12 gr co2 with nozzle.
In the winter I carry the co2 however as I hate dealing with the mini pum in cold weather :wink:
OT but make sure your mini pump or co2 will fit if you use valve extentions, some don't!

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

Most of my rides are with my local group. I carry one CO2 cartridge and a Carbone pump, just to inflate the (spare) tube to seat it on the rim before using the CO2. If I am riding alone I will bring 2 CO2 cartridges since multiple riders in my group have pumps/extra cartridges. I also wrap about 12 inches of duct tape around the cartridge to use as a boot or for those on the spot repairs where the tape might help. When I use a cartridge I just transfer the tape to a new one.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

well the other day the bloomin thing (co2) got stuck on the valve and wouldnt turn off nearly blew the tyre right off the rim!! very scary so back to the mini pump.
tikka
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

NOTAWOFTAM

by NOTAWOFTAM

I carry CO2, but a couple of guys I ride with carry Topeak Road Morph pumps. On a recent ride, I had a valve that wouldn't seal properly. Removed the valve, checked for any debris, replaced the valve, and filled the tire using a CO2 cartridge. Bad plan! The cold CO2 made the seal problem worse and the tire deflated quickly.

The solution was to remove the valve, coat it with a little sealant that I carry, replace the valve, and inflate the tire up with a pump. Probem solved, and no problem since.

The pump I borrowed was my friend's Topeak Road Morph. It's fairly light and small. It also has a guage. Of all of the frame, compact, mini, or convertable pumps that I have tried (lots), this was by far the easiest to use. Pumps to high pressure easily.

Taniwha

by Taniwha

Nicolai wrote:I'll call me wifey, and tell her to get her pretty a*se on the driver seat, and pick me up. Jalla jalla! :roll:

Vittoria Pitstop is not a bad option either to, it somewhat inflates your tire too.

These are the best two options always :thumbup: .
However make sure that you assume the driver's seat on the way home, don't want to be driven by a wimmin do you? :frightened:
In what furnace was thy brain?

Nicolai

by Nicolai

Taniwha wrote:These are the best two options always :thumbup:

Err no. The bestest option would be to call to the nearest bunny ranch, and tell them to send one hottie in skimpy bikinis to fix the tire ASAP. And bring a cold beer too. While she's fixing the flat tire, you could suggest some pumpin'. :roll:

Taniwha wrote:However make sure that you assume the driver's seat on the way home, don't want to be driven by a wimmin do you? :frightened:

Actually, wifey was a few days ago on a Bimmer's Performance Driver School, and she's now quite enthusiastic of managing power slides. :shock:
Oh! - Suits you sir!

BenCousins

by BenCousins

The pump I borrowed was my friend's Topeak Road Morph. It's fairly light and small. It also has a guage. Of all of the frame, compact, mini, or convertable pumps that I have tried (lots), this was by far the easiest to use. Pumps to high pressure easily.

Yeah I have one of those, it's great - weighs a ton though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

EURO wrote:

Yeah I have one of those, it's great - weighs a ton though.

:exactly: This is WW!!! Great pump for touring/carrying abroad to keep at base. Gets to 115 psi no probs which is fine by me. But don't ever put it on the bike!!!

The Carbone mini pump is superb IMO. I have used a few others such as Toppeak Master Blaster and Blackburn Airstick but the Carbone outperforms them and weighs 1/2 as much if that. The trick is to use the thumb/finger indents to push hard up into the rim with the valve at 12 o'clock. Ok, this might be a bit hard on the valve, but i have reached 100psi many times and for such a light pump that isn't bad.