Info on Orb Pedals?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ras11

by ras11

What's the deal with those ORB pedals? I'm can't change my pedal system right now, but at a 150g per set including cleats and "no look" entery, I have to wonder. Does anybody have the 411 on those.

Can anyone crontast these pedals to Speedplay/Look/Time Impacts?

For those of you who don't know, here is their web site.

http://www.m2racer.com/
:-) Toys-R-Us

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

No one in there right mind would buy these, just look at the construction. Your foot is held in place by a very small pin, thats it. I don't have first hand experiance, so I might be way wrong about them, but just looking at the design it seems not very good. Best bet is speedplays. Of course I'm kinda biased since I'm selling those aluminum inserts :lol: , but I think there awsome pedals. You ever try them before? X/1's with cleats weigh 205g, with my aluminum inserts 180g, which is superlite, to save another 30g to go to an inferior design, not worth it in my book.

And if your thinking about those crazy superlite aerolite titanium, oh boy, you need your head examined. Just one word, DANGEROUS and STUPID. Ok thats two words. :lol:

Hope my input was insightfull.

wally318

by wally318

Superlite, tell what is dangerous about the aerolite pedals? Maybe I missed it. Have you ever used them?Yes they're more difficult to walk on, but pedals are for cycling.Yes they have a different engagement/release method, but so did the looks when they were first introduced. They have a much better engagement than the orb system. I have a pair that I modified from their first generation ti/turcite, that weighs 74 grams the pair and 118 grams with the cleats. As a bonus they are probably the most laterally stable of all clipless pedals( like a quill pedal) if any of you remember that, because the cleat makes parallel flat engagement with the shoe and the pedal does the same.

Superlite

by Superlite

Don't wanna get you all mad or anything, but I'm not even going to go into why there dangerous. It's pretty obvious. I wasn't refering to a hard time walking in them. :wink:

Two other posters know what I'm talking about.

Francois_viviers@hotmail.

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:53 am Post subject: Aerolite pedals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have any of you ever tried these pedals, they are for sale again at the B-T-P site after dissapearing for years. 74 grams a pair, sounds like it good be good, but looking at the design I would rather approach with caution

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would steer clear of those. There is a reason why they disappeared for years. They're good for bikes that hang on the wall, and that's about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you like them, then there perfect for you, but for most people there just not an ideal pedal, and if a sprinter were using these, I'm sure after one ride they would be ridden no more.

wally318

by wally318

You're not being very specific about the dangers. I've never had a problem with them. I cross back and forth from quill to aerolite. I've never heard of any problems before. People have accidents with all types of pedal systems( lance armstrong at this years tour) Can you you be more specific about the dangers.

MantraPro

by MantraPro

I saw that they had to recall them because there was a problem with them, don't know what

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ras11

by ras11

So far, the comments have been uninspiring. I've been asking around and searching the web, but no one seems to have any real experience with the ORB pedals. Opinions are plentiful, but real experience is suspiciously missing.

Superlite makes the obvious point that the cleat mechanism is quite small. Reminiscent of SPDs, only sideways and smaller. And really the reason why I asked in the first place. (I also think it would be loony to ride these pedals, but that wouldn't be my first time being wrong). I hate SPDs and hate even more SPD-Rs. I shutter to think I spent 1.5 seasons on them. I digress..

In the world of pedals, with so many different designs (and design elements), I still believe there is great room for improvement. While I cringe at the idea of "race day" pedals, pedals are not immune to the weight weenie chopping block, and so I fully expect lighter/stronger/more ergo dynamic pedals in the future. necessity is the mother of innovation, if we are happy with how Speedplays/Times/Looks/etc are, then nothing will ever change. Even though the ORB pedals may not be for me, the idea of improvement where improvement is necessary only brings one conclusion. Two thumbs up! If this Orb pedal challenges the pedal designers to think 100g, then we have won! Who knows, maybe the next Speedplays will be 50g less... think about it. Titanium springs, isotropic liquid crystal polymer bodies... so many design ideas... I can't wait for the future!

One more thing, speaking from experience, pedals are not something loose faith in. When it comes down to the line, your pedals better be there.
:-) Toys-R-Us