Noob

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SpecAllez09

by SpecAllez09

As the subject said, I'm a complete noob when ot comes to road cycling and road bikes. My 1st roadie is a 2001 Specialized Allez A1 Sport with Shimano 105 group and ritchey bars running ksryium sscsl wheels (thanks to jon aka VENTOUX, who recently made a little upgrade to a TCR Advanced). Anyways, got some pics, if anyone has any suggestions for cheap but effective upgrades I would love to hear them.

Greg, aka SpecAllez09
Attachments
My SpecAllez
My SpecAllez

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Luc

by Luc

Welcome aboard, Greg !

You'll find thousands & thousands of upgrades for your ride over here ! Some cheapo....some less... :?

Nice build you've got ! And now that you caught the WW virus..

:welcome:
Pollice verso.

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

I'd get alonger and lower stem to give you a more aero position.

SpecAllez09

by SpecAllez09

geraintnorman wrote:I'd get alonger and lower stem to give you a more aero position.

well the thing is i'm riding a 54cm but I'm only 5'5" so I'm all ready pretty stretched out. thanks for the advice though. new ideas always help

estone2

by estone2

SpecAllez09 wrote:
geraintnorman wrote:I'd get alonger and lower stem to give you a more aero position.

well the thing is i'm riding a 54cm but I'm only 5'5" so I'm all ready pretty stretched out. thanks for the advice though. new ideas always help

How about a double or compact crank? (Unless, of course, you live in a really hilly area where you need the little chainring)
That could save you a lot - looks like a 105 Triple, so changing out to a double/compact could probably save you 400-500 grams if you got carbon (ie FSA, although their carbon compacts are flexxxy.)

-estone2
Ti rules.

SpecAllez09

by SpecAllez09

thanks for the suggestion but no can do according to a guy at my LBS. He said in order to race i need a triple crankset because my bike does not have compact geometry...? although i might have misunderstood, he might have been saying i need either a triple or a compact crank, in which case your idea would work perfectly. :)

airsoft510

by airsoft510

SpecAllez09 wrote:thanks for the suggestion but no can do according to a guy at my LBS. He said in order to race i need a triple crankset because my bike does not have compact geometry...? although i might have misunderstood, he might have been saying i need either a triple or a compact crank, in which case your idea would work perfectly. :)

Hey, I'm Jon, Im friends with John (ventoux) and I live in Oakland. Nice to see another junior and another person from the bay area.

Are you planning on racing a lot this year? If so ill see you out there. (I ride a silver caad 8, record, and im on Tieni Duro)

As far as the bike, I think the guy at the LBS means that the biggest gear you can have is a 52/14. for junior gears.

VENTOUX

by VENTOUX

@airsoft, his name is Greg and he is a schoolmate of mine and on the St. Ignatius cycling team that I started, has great potential. Can't wait to see you at some races, I have been doing the early birds. We should all plan something for the TOC, it will be here before we know it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

airsoft510

by airsoft510

VENTOUX wrote:@airsoft, his name is Greg and he is a schoolmate of mine and on the St. Ignatius cycling team that I started, has great potential. Can't wait to see you at some races, I have been doing the early birds. We should all plan something for the TOC, it will be here before we know it.

Not to hijack Greg's thread, but hopefully earlybirds is going good. Yeah, we should plan something for TOC.