Brake pads carbon/alu

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mathieu

by Mathieu

Does someone know if there are braking pads that can be used for full carbon rims and alu rims? So I shouldn't replace them everytime I change wheelset.

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

You should use the "research" fonction of the forum.
You'll see that any pads cant do both.You can use pads for both,but you will irremediably damage the carbon rim because of smalls aluminium particles which are stayed on the pads while braking on aluminium rims.

So only one solution:change the pads everytime you change the wheel.

Bye.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dellucci

by Dellucci

Hi I´am actually using the Shimano Pads for Carbon rims and it work well in dry like in wet conditions.

Dellucci

by Dellucci

Sorry forgot something....... on Skyriums naturly.........

Adrien
WWotY 2007

by Adrien

Ok on Ksyrium but not on Ksyrium+carbon wheels.If you do it,you'll damage the carbon rim,when I see the price of it,I think it's better to change everytime the pads...

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

...or you could file out the alu shards from the pads everytime you switch wheels and probably be OK.

Geoff

by Geoff

Adrien, that is an interesting thought.

I agree with you about switching pads for different wheel types (as much of a pain as that is), but because the braking performance on carbon is much better with cork pads than any others that I have tried (Campagnolo, Zipp, Koolstop etc.). I have never tried cork pads on alloy rims, though. If anyone has tried it, that would be interesting to hear about, too.

I would have thought that all the junk that the wheels and pads pick-up on the road would be more damaging to a carbon rim than any aluminium dust that might wear off from a wheel. Is there a study or a manufacturer's warning about damage to rims caused by aluminum dust? As a lot of guys here seem to have carbon wheels, this would be very valuable information.

Thanks

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

why would manufacturers make pads that are compatible with alu/carbon rims if you couldn't use them on both?

C-40

by C-40

It is not aluminum dust but actually small 'splinters' of aluminum which are removed from the the aluminum rim. With very fine tweezers or an X-Acto blade they can be removed. Look at your pads and you will see these fragments- fine for aluminum rims but destructive to carbon.

tovarin

by tovarin

Hi,
Was very surprised to hear from the guys in the LBS that they have no concerns about using same pads for aluminum and carbon wheels. They recommended getting Zipp cork pads and be done with the constant swapping of pads then. I specifically asked whether they didn't see the risk t damage the carbon with little aluminum shards or so and they dismissed this notion. Any thoughts? Find it appealing as swapping pads on my new Felt with the brake between the crank arms doesn't sound too convenient...

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Mathieu wrote:Does someone know if there are braking pads that can be used for full carbon rims and alu rims? So I shouldn't replace them everytime I change wheelset.

Yup. These: http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?p ... 7&subcat=0

Dammit

by Dammit

I'd not seen those TRP's before.

However- just because you can do something, does not mean that you should.

Carbon rims are not cheap, I'd rather swap the pads and not run the risk of writing off a pair of rims.

Last year I swapped the entire shoe/pad assembly when changing wheels, this year I have the EE brake shoes- which are great, just pull the pad out and chuck the new one in.

eric

by eric

Even with regular Shimano style pad holders it's easy to swap pads. It takes like 2 minutes if you're slow.
Besides contaminating the pads with aluminium shards which then chew up the carbon, using one pad for both materials means that your pads will be a compromise. They won't work as well as aluminium specific pads on aluminium and carbon specific pads on carbon.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

tovarin wrote:Hi,
Was very surprised to hear from the guys in the LBS that they have no concerns about using same pads for aluminum and carbon wheels. They recommended getting Zipp cork pads and be done with the constant swapping of pads then. I specifically asked whether they didn't see the risk t damage the carbon with little aluminum shards or so and they dismissed this notion. Any thoughts? Find it appealing as swapping pads on my new Felt with the brake between the crank arms doesn't sound too convenient...

My thought is go find another shop...

Dont use one set of pads and swap between Alu and Carbon wheels without changing them.

Just dont...

MajorMantra

by MajorMantra

Has anyone ever actually documented damage caused to a carbon rim by not switching pads? Because for all the warnings, I've never seen any real evidence.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com