Replacing an SRM battery... at home :o)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RacerBoy

by RacerBoy

So I got my hands on a set of SRM Professionals. The set is completely new (in box, never unpacked) but has been lying around for a few years. I think they are made in 2002.

Looks like all the batteries need to be replaced and I also need to replace the crankarms. Looking thorough this thread I thought about trying to change the batteries myself but since I have to send the crankarms to Germany anyway I'm thinking I just might aswell send the whole package...

I have been told that the arms will be replaced without cost since they are brand new but I was sort of wondering how much the rest will set me back. Batteriy change in PC and PM, service charge etc. I asked SRM via e-mail and all I got was basically "send us the stuff and your credit card details..."

snorre

by snorre

Your crank looks very nice and extremely shiny! Have you done anything special to get the shiny look? Mine has a more matte finish....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

racer1

by racer1

For those who dont feel like searching for the crank battery, here is the name and part number:
Electrochem 3B880 CMOS Battery

I bought it at a place in California for $25 shipped. We will see if it makes it here.
http://www.neonixie.com/store/product_i ... cts_id=442

cyclenutnz

by cyclenutnz

Mine came from www.batterystore.com in oklahoma with no problems, except that it does take a while for stuff to get here (New Zealand). Following Mikes instructions was easy.

LarsEjaas

by LarsEjaas

Mikes guide is really awesome, but I have a couple of questions - maybe someone who has tried it can help:

Is the am/pro/DA cranks using the same battery (I would guess so) - have anyone else actually tried taking one of the SRM's with the older design apart?

Is there anything special I have to be concerned about when putting the white disc cover back on? - Does it make a "click" sound or anything similar - It really would be a bummer if the SRM crankset isn't sealed properly when riding in rain!

-

Now we really only need a guide on changing the Powercontrol battery! I guess the real problem is to get the existing battery off (it's glued in place) - installing the new battery would just be a matter of using a glue gun...

EDIT: I think someone in here (maybe Adam Hansen) mentioned that he sealed the unit with something to make it watertight?

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

Anyone knows where to get this battery in Europe?
Is it a rare item or any good store will have it?

racer1

by racer1

LarsEjaas wrote:Mikes guide is really awesome, but I have a couple of questions - maybe someone who has tried it can help:

Is the am/pro/DA cranks using the same battery (I would guess so) - have anyone else actually tried taking one of the SRM's with the older design apart?

Is there anything special I have to be concerned about when putting the white disc cover back on? - Does it make a "click" sound or anything similar - It really would be a bummer if the SRM crankset isn't sealed properly when riding in rain!

-

Now we really only need a guide on changing the Powercontrol battery! I guess the real problem is to get the existing battery off (it's glued in place) - installing the new battery would just be a matter of using a glue gun...

EDIT: I think someone in here (maybe Adam Hansen) mentioned that he sealed the unit with something to make it watertight?

I just took mine apart two weeks ago and it is just a regular pro version. It appeared to be the same as the DA etc... If you install the whit disc on correctly the chanrings will help seal it up better. It is a really simple process and will save you alot of time and some money as well.
J
ust google the battery model number that is posted above and someone in Europe should have it for under $30. The only bad thing is it must be shipped by ground since it is a lithium battery.

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

racer1 wrote:
LarsEjaas wrote:Mikes guide is really awesome, but I have a couple of questions - maybe someone who has tried it can help:

-

I just took mine apart two weeks ago and it is just a regular pro version. It appeared to be the same as the DA etc... If you install the whit disc on correctly the chanrings will help seal it up better. It is a really simple process and will save you alot of time and some money as well.
J
ust google the battery model number that is posted above and someone in Europe should have it for under $30. The only bad thing is it must be shipped by ground since it is a lithium battery.

Is the battery glued to the base?

racer1

by racer1

My battery was not glued at all. I didnt see any glue on the base either. It is a snug fit so I dont think glue would be to necessary to hold the battery in place.

ms6073

by ms6073

spaniardclimber wrote:Anyone knows where to get this battery in Europe?

Not rare as you can probably find one on the motherboard on Enterprise Level Computer Servers (i.e. very Storage Servers and the like). For those who are interested, I think the battery is a 3.6V 1000MAh Lithium CMOS battery and you may even be able to find it at local electronic hobby stores and possibly computer stores that sell components for the do-it-yourself crowd. In the US, Interstate Batteries sells the Electrochem battery and BatteriesPlus sells a compatible replacement.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

Is this the correct battery? http://www.amazon.com/ELECTROCHEM-3B880 ... 105&sr=1-1
It has the 'equivalent' name, so I want to be sure before ordering. If a friend brings it in the plane can ha have problems?
Anyone know where to find this battery in an online shop in europe?
Last edited by spaniardclimber on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

Off topic, but has anyone tried to replace a Garmin Edge 350 battery?
Google: Results 1 - 20 of about 88,500 English pages for _doping_, _cycling_ and _denies_. (0.33 seconds)

pritchet74

by pritchet74

So I changed the battery in my Cannondale Si SRM this weekend. Of course I ordered the battery referenced above only to find out when I cracked the SRM open that it was the wrong battery. For the Si SRM the battery is a rectangular one (as shown below) & not the round one used in the Dura-Ace SRM. Here are some pics. For anyone with soldering experience this is a VERY easy job to do. The only thing that I did differently that Zag was that I used silicone grease instead of silicone to put on the o-rings to seal the unit.

Also, the link that he has in the 1st post to his blog is a dead link, but someone out there has referenced it here.
http://birfield.com/~morgan/SRM_surgery.html

Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

Geoff

by Geoff

I run Si, Pro, DA and MTB SRMs. The Pro and MTB are on the same battery, but they are different from the Si and DA batteries.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dartingd

by dartingd

what battery does the srm professional use? I think mine died this week, and for those of you using an srm, you know this is like losing your left nut!
I don't wanna gain the whole world, and lose my soul!
-Toby Mac