Anyone still have a steel bike?

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

chisa

by chisa

mises wrote:non-goal oriented use
what the *f##k* does that mean :lol: :lol:

c-record

by c-record

Definitely not my weenie bike, but that's not what this bike is about. I come back to it all the time, as my favorite ride.

Seven surprised me when I said paint it how you like, but keep in mind that red is fast.
Attachments
axiom.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

I definitely want a De Rosa Neo Primato in Faema....

"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

jerk
in the industry

by jerk

the jerk has a hurting giordana xl steel bike with a steel fork. its built with a mix of record and chorus from the last few years, a 140mm nitto stem, 40cm cinelli 65 hbars, a regal saddle and sometimes even gets to roll around on a pair of cosmic carbone tubulars....here's a nice review on it:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... highlight=

its the only road bike in the stable right now.....and its fine for january; a bit boring but does everything well enough.

jerk
the jerk is always right!
the jerk thinks your stem is too short!

onyourleft

by onyourleft

chisa wrote:
mises wrote:non-goal oriented use
what the *f##k* does that mean :lol: :lol:

ROTF!

It means his non-goal is not to have a non-steel rig.

FTW!!!
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!

e-RICHIE

by e-RICHIE

i had mine out today -
Attachments
RS-red-side.jpg

jerk
in the industry

by jerk

e-RICHIE wrote:i had mine out today -

weightweenies-
that's the nicest bike ever posted on this forum. it'll be the second nicest as soon as you see the jerk's new bike.
jerk
the jerk is always right!
the jerk thinks your stem is too short!

doubleD

by doubleD

when will this new bike be around jerk.
doubleD

cadence90

by cadence90

Can I have one next week, please?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

martin

by martin

Selfmade? :D

i know your registration date is from 2005, but nevertheless welcome to Weenies!

Martin
Last edited by martin on Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

martin

by martin

Then i throw in my ride too... (didn't i already...?) maybe e-richie knows a thing or two about its maker? :)

About the ride quality:
one often hears that "nothing rides like a steel bike"... i got my own opinion on this. a diamond shaped bicycle frame is way too stiff vertically in comparison to the other components involved (tire, wheels, post, stem, handlebar, saddle) to make any difference. I have my own theory about that... its the geometry and the design of the frame you feel more than any material.
The classic steel frame makers from Cinelli and Colnago on to todays framebuilders know what geometry to pick. Unfortunately, in todays market, not the same can be said about every frame you can buy. So no wonder people fall in love with old-fashion steel frames when all they know is how a 5-size-fit-allsuper sloping CFK frame feels on the road. Hate to say that here, but weight is not only thing that counts :D

Martin
Attachments
appel2.jpg
appel1.jpg
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

onyourleft

by onyourleft

I wonder how long the wait is on a Sachs nowadays - anyone know? Still around 2 years?
Last edited by onyourleft on Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

martin wrote:... its the geometry and the design of the frame you feel more than any material.

I disagree martin. The "deadness" of a carbon frame is noticeable to me right off the bat, more noticeable than its geom. I've ridden top CF's from Specialized, Trek, C'dale, Moser, Giant and they all were alike in that way.

IMHO, a little CF goes a long way. It's good for some parts to damp vibration and for less weight, but I don't care for it as a material for the whole frame. Not until if/when I ride one that changes my mind.

Maybe it's just being used to a certain response or "feel" that some of us grew up with, and riding CF is a matter of adjustment.

martin

by martin

onyourleft wrote:
martin wrote:... its the geometry and the design of the frame you feel more than any material.

I disagree martin. The "deadness" of a carbon frame is noticeable to me right off the bat, more noticeable than its geom. I've ridden top CF's from Specialized, Trek, C'dale, Moser, Giant and they all were alike in that way.

In that row i'd only rate the Trek as a company who puts an emphasis on geometry, but Trek i think builds with a very long top tube which may not be to everybodys liking.
Moser is a traditional framebuilder, but how much did they influence the frame design... might be a relabelled OEM frame. Alu C'Dales i hear handle well, but i've never ridden one. US frames thend to have a not so agile geometry to start with.
Especially Specialized, Giant, Scott i count as bike makers who are only slowly learning about the importance of geometry. The percentage of happy CFK freme owners that ride a Time, Colnago or Fondriest seems higher to me :)

But i fail to feel any difference in comfort between my Columbus SL bikes and my superstiff Principia Rex. In ride feeling, yes - the P feels super stiff when standing in the pedals. In comfort, no... did all my longest rides on the tincan.
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

popawheelie

by popawheelie

onyourleft, I've heard good things about Time frames. If you get a chance to throw your leg over one give it a try.
Just what I've heard. If I was buying a CF frame it would be my top choice. Not that my opinion means much. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com