What is the best pedal for cyclocross

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

kross

by kross

I currently use Spd's ands have trouble getting clicked in quickly. I almost think a platform pedal would be better. I see a lot of Time's but I know from experiance they dont disingage easily...Any suggestions?
KROSS

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Shimano 959 or Time Atac, no doubt.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Trek/VW

by Trek/VW

Eggbeaters are good in mud.

jeremyb

by jeremyb

yeah time atacs are great, theyre what im using now, i think im switching to the candy's just because of a lighter weight.

ive heard bad things about the eggbeaters due to the lack of a platform (hence the reason they came out with the candy's)

my Times disengage very very easily, no issues, i can unclip and go right into a run towards the barriers etc.

jeremyb

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

I swear by Time ATACs. I got to watch two different sets of Eggbeater Candys work their way loose during Sunday's race, trashing the threads on the spindles bad enough I couldn't put them into a new bike. I think these were the top of the line ones. :?

Boonen

by Boonen

I had the same problem with the Time Atacs. They were to hard to disengage easily making it quite hard to approach obstacles at higher speed. I filed a bit of the inside back corner of the cleat which made it much easier to disengage from the pedal.

good luck,

Chris

digger

by digger

Got to be Time ATAC's! An ex-pro recommended them to me and rode them this season and have had no problems. Even after a very muddy! cross (first round of that naitional trophie) i had no problems. Last year i had lots of problems with my spd's clogging up , they were quite cheap spd's though. Done about 4/5 races on them with no problems. Also they feel like you have a pedal underneath your feet, like a road pedal unlike the spds.
Digs :wink:

beavisbnc1

by beavisbnc1

Today I participated in a moderately muddy cyclocross race, my Time ATAC carbon pedals, clogged with mud so bad that it was impossible to clip in, these pedals are in new condition, and the cleats are about a month old.

zach

by zach

I raced yesterday in really thick mud an the time's clipped in fine the whole race. The only problem is when your feet are not clipped in.

beavisbnc1

by beavisbnc1

Zach

Would you please elaborate on what you mean when you say"the only problem is when your feet are not clipped in".

Boonen

by Boonen

I think he means that he has so much mud on his shoes and the pedals that he can't clip in. I have had this problem with spd-stype pedals as well, but never with the Time's but I guess it could happen in really muddy conditions.

zach

by zach

I mean when your feet are on the pedals not clipped in is a problem because you feet slide every where.

Cubeman

by Cubeman

I used my Crank Bros Eggbeaters in the thickest of mud and never had a problem.
Always clipping in when I wanted to and never getting clogged with mud.

bobalou

by bobalou

Anyone ever try the speedplay frogs? I'm thinking about getting a pair.

Pedä

by Pedä

i use egg beater sice a cuple of years (since the first generation), i never had a problem in mud...

cyclocross, cross country and marathon races= no problem
Pedä

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com