10 speed cross gearing

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I'm going to get a cross bike, and I'm planning on running a single ring up front ala' a lot of US pros. What I'm wondering is, do i kinda average the normal rings and run about a 48 front ring, or what? I think I'm gonna run a long cage chorus rd and a larger rear 10 spd cass.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

should have searched, cause there is a similar topic two rows down, but tell me what you guys think, cause it didn't answer all my questions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeremyb

by jeremyb

48 front will be too stiff/hard to pedal. most people run like a 44 or 42 tooth front ring.

I have currently a 44x 11/30 and am switching to 42x 11/28. you wont need the 11 tooth, most likely, unless ur doing some road riding or commuting with it.

Also, depending on the area and conditions you'll be in, you might not want a 10 speed rear, the general consensus is that it will clog with mud too easily.

my drivetrain is 8 speed. Cheaper and less prone to clogging.

i had the first race of the season this last weekend, and its so much easier to have a single ring up front, one less thing to think about, and no possibility of chain drop, and a lighter setup----its perfect. if you cant climb it with 44x30 oe 42x28 then you should be running it or doing my leg squats to build up that power.

hope that helps

jeremyb

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

jeremyb wrote:i had the first race of the season this last weekend, and its so much easier to have a single ring up front, one less thing to think about, and no possibility of chain drop, and a lighter setup----its perfect. if you cant climb it with 44x30 oe 42x28 then you should be running it or doing my leg squats to build up that power.

All depends on where you are, and fitness levels. Both my cross bikes have double chainrings and I almost never use the small ring in races (big ring is a 48). In cross races I've always been a big gear rider, so it works for me. The courses in Colorado don't tend to have very steep long climbs (usually one or the other but not both).

Also, I haven't had to stop to put a dropped chain on in 5 years! There was only one race that caused me any issues last year (really bumpy downhill) and all you did was pedal once and the chain was back on. Given that I train on my cross bikes, and we have some pretty steep hills on my routes, I like having a double.

Oh, and I also would not recommend 10spd for cross. The wider the chain the better for all the reasons posted above.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Here is my situation. I live in the SW, so mud is never an issue. I was going to run 10 speed because I am building this rig on the cheap and I run campy 10 on my road bike. I am goingto run the same Ksyrium wheels and figured I could use the same wheel system/cass. but I'm realizing I should probably run 9 speed cause i'm going to need a larger cass. anyway.

Trek/VW

by Trek/VW

520 Dan wrote:Here is my situation. I live in the SW, so mud is never an issue.

What? Cyclocross without mud? Isn't mud kind of essential for cyclocrossing?

Cyco

by Cyco

Before they introduced water restriction around here (3rd year of drought) they would water the course to give at least 1 muddy patch. :lol:
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Trek/VW wrote:What? Cyclocross without mud? Isn't mud kind of essential for cyclocrossing?

Well, you can get by with sand. ;) Actually, here in Colorado we almost never have mud. They MADE a mud bog at the race this weekend (what can I say, the kids love that).

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Aardvark - damn I was at the Snow Mountain Race this weekend. Wish we would have coordinated before hand, we could have actually met up!

I will be down at the Boulder race on Sunday. Let me know what class your running and what you will be wearing and I will try to find you.

I'm not raceing, just checking things out and getting ready for my series up in Eagle. Check it out at www.altituderacing.com

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

I probably won't be racing. I've had a virus for almost 4 weeks now, and even running around after the kids at camp kicked my ass. I'm easy to spot though, look for the Swift Cycling rider with the long blonde ponytail. ;) I should be working the pit for my team during the 3s and 4s races.

crewman

by crewman

I am also looking to use ome Older Daytona 10sp on a CX bike. I have three bikes all running campy 10sp and have alot of extra parts. I have heard from lots of other people that they run it as well (some of the pros are using it)
The chain size difference from campy 9sp to 10sp is very minimal. I do not have the exact measurements, also it's getting harder to find older 9sp stuff.

I like the idea about running a single chain ring on the front. If you go with a 42T chain ring and a 13-29 rear cassett than I think you have a good combo for riding cross and using it as a winter beater as well.

Just my thoughts
"It's all about the Tempo"

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

I was thinking 13-29 10-speed cassette with old single 42 too. That would be nice with these:

I can make them myself so they wouldn't cost much.

I wonder if I should use std, med or lond rear derailler?

crewman

by crewman

The Daytona 10sp I have will work with a 29 tooth cassett. I think it is a 2001 version and they only came in one flavor.
"It's all about the Tempo"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boonen

by Boonen

Samu Ilonen wrote:
I wonder if I should use std, med or lond rear derailler?

Samu, use the medium cage derailleur. I have both a small one on my roadbike and a medium one on my crossbike. Although I only use a 25 and a double ring up front I am pretty sure I can't make the small cage derailleur work properly withouth the chain rubbing against the derailleurplate when in the small cog. I think that a medium would be good for a 29 as wel, because the long cage is really intended for a triple.

Good luck,