The tubular sealant thread.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

No not another which tubular thread...
Tufo´s sealant seem to well proven.
Other brands have sealants out as well.
Anyone with experiences please post.
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

NS

by NS

I used the Vittoria Pitstop in my cross tubs this year. Superb, cant fault it. Fixed the puncture and ran another 6 races no problem at all. I'll probably run the same tyre next season too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Does the Vittoria stuff work in the same way as tufo´s You put it in from the beginning or after a puncture and then reinflate?
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

NS

by NS

I havent used the tufo but i understand that the vittoria can be put in an unpunctured tub to prevent flats as well as repairing them after a puncture.

NS

by NS

I havent used the tufo but i understand that the vittoria can be put in an unpunctured tub to prevent flats as well as repairing them after a puncture.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

You can put both the Tufo and Vittoria in a tire before you ride, but some people note that the tire is much less supple after the sealant is in. Plus, don't use your CO2 cartridges to inflate the tire with the sealant in it. The CO2 blast makes the sealant very hard and the tire will feel like a brick.

Roeboe

by Roeboe

So when I wil be using a tube on training I can't use a CO2 cartridge? :?:
And how long can you leave the sealant in the tube and how long does it keep working?

Rickyfirst

by Rickyfirst

Roeboe wrote:So when I wil be using a tube on training I can't use a CO2 cartridge? :?:
And how long can you leave the sealant in the tube and how long does it keep working?

I have already used a CO2 cartridge after a pit stop injection.

But in this case, you have to wait a little bit after the pit stop injection because if you immediatly inflate with a CO2 cartridge, the pressure is too high and the sealant of the pit stop is push away from the hole.

footwerx

by footwerx

i understand the tufo sealant only works with butyl tubes and tubs. Can the vittoria pitstop work with latex tubes and tubs?

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

I’ve found the Tufo stuff to be OK, but not great. It works, but won’t hold anything above about 85-90 PSI without squirting. It’s enough to get you home, but not spectacular. It’s fine for races (flat means you’re done) or training (you’ve got time), but not the solution I want for running tubs at the Marmotte or something like that, where I don’t want to stop to put on a new tub and certainly don’t want to descend on under-inflated wheels.

I’m interested in the Pitstop option for two reasons: I’m told it can hold higher pressures, and I’m not stuck on Tufos. Can anyone confirm the former?

marko

by marko

Both are latex and can be used in anything that latex will repair. I like the pitstop as it will also air up your tire. I got a leaky grifo cross tire and did the pitstop and the tire holds air like new. The pitstop could also be multiple use. I filxed the leak with half the can and used the other other half in another tire just for testing purposes.

Timo

by Timo

Which product can be used in Dugast tubes? Would Schwalbe "Doc Blue" sealant work?
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

allerge99

by allerge99

I've got 4 flat tubs sitting at home and ordered two cans of pit stop yesterday, i'll report back and let ya'll know how easy it was to use and if it'll hold up under high pressure.

choylifut

by choylifut

I've used both the Tufo and Vitoria product. I find the Vitoria works better than the Tufo, but Stan's - found at www.notubes.com - works far better than both of them. I've got a gash is in a Tufo Flexus cross tire that was nearly 4 mm long and it sealed it. I've sealed a couple of road tubulars with it that the Vitoria product wouldn't work on. The advantage to the Vitoria product is that it's presurized and will both inflate and seal which is crucial on the road. For punctures that the Vitoria can't handle give the Stan's a try before discarding the tire. Sometimes, you have to inflate the tire a few times and it may take overnight, but I find it works on more substantial punctures.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NOTAWOFTAM

by NOTAWOFTAM

choylifut wrote:I've used both the Tufo and Vitoria product. I find the Vitoria works better than the Tufo, but Stan's - found at www.notubes.com - works far better than both of them. I've got a gash is in a Tufo Flexus cross tire that was nearly 4 mm long and it sealed it. I've sealed a couple of road tubulars with it that the Vitoria product wouldn't work on. The advantage to the Vitoria product is that it's presurized and will both inflate and seal which is crucial on the road. For punctures that the Vitoria can't handle give the Stan's a try before discarding the tire. Sometimes, you have to inflate the tire a few times and it may take overnight, but I find it works on more substantial punctures.

Nice review. Good to know. :D