Lightest production wheels currently on the market

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Joel

by Joel

JTC wrote:Yes, AM uses Zipp rims with AM hubs. I have a set of 303's and a set of AM carbons. Have not ridden the AM's but the 303's have been great. I did use regular Campy pads (Zipp originaly said that no special pads were needed) which messed up the rims, but Zipp replaced them for no charge and even used the new 04 rims and Sapin spokes (old hub though). Other than that no problems with them. I have a friend that has used his AMs and broke the pawl so I am a little sceptic of them.

You have been very lucky because the 303 rims are quite weak

JTC

by JTC

I dissagree. They side walls may be a little thin on the 2003 models and older, but they have addressed that with the foam injection. I never had any problems with the 2003 models I had though. I am also 195lbs and ride with a lot of power (They are all I race on), so I would have to say they are a pretty strong wheel considering they are carbon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

i am 185 lbs, would you ride on zip 360 (404) tubular rim everyday?

JTC

by JTC

I would guess that the 404's would be a little stiffer than the 303's. As far as training on either 404's or 303's I wouldn't. It pointless. I wouldn't train on any carbon wheels because they are two expensice to replace. Its not a question of durability. Its a question of cost. What happens if you hit a large pot whole. That could tear up any wheel. I usually train on either some hand build wheels or a set of cane creeks. I do ride on the Zipps sometimes if I am going to do a fast group ride though.

spytech

by spytech

oh well, i guess i will just build them up. i hate gluing tires... i would hate to get a flat far away from home.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Use Tufo sealant.

I had a Veloflex Criterium with about 200m on it that suffered from an attack of the thorns. I wouldn't have patched it, there were four holes in it. So as a last resort I tried the sealant (never used it before). Tire is going strong.
Ride lightly!

JTC

by JTC

I have actually found it easier to change a tubular than a clincher. I use an old previously glued tubie as a spare and the change takes as little as 5 min. depending on how well the old tire is glued on. I train and race on tubies now. They just ride much better for me. I would recomend the Tufo sealent also, but I put it in the new tire before mounting. I use all Tufo product infact. There tires are great.

spytech

by spytech

how good is that tufo tape they have? has anyone tried it, or am i going to be the ginnie pig...lol.

http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/accessories.php#24

they have a new version...

tunecampa

by tunecampa

Tune Skyline:

guaranted under 1000g!!

http://www.tune.de/

spytech

by spytech

i dont want to ride on the 280 rims, i have seen them and i think they are too weak, i may be wrong. thats why i went with the 360 rims, plus they are more aero.

Superlite

by Superlite

Dude, Zipp 360 rims for everyday use! WAKE UP! These are event wheels dude. Sure you could ride them every day, but man, the brake track after a while will be destroyed, especially with you living in NY City the stop and go that you will be doing. Plus they have a 58mm depth, not the best unless you TT, or on long flats, assuming that the side wind isn't bad. You need to get something else.

spytech

by spytech

hehe, everyone has been telling me the same thing would you like to buy them? :D

im a little short on cash now, so if i want to finish my bike anytime soon either i build them with these rims or i sell them to buy something else, those are my only options.

Joel

by Joel

It's like paper when you hold them in your hands :lol:

Joel

by Joel

When you want strong light wheels: FRM + Ambrosio Crono (Bulltek sports sells them) + CX-Ray 32 spokes: 1295g with Spada hubs: 1280g
Those wheels are strong, light and durable.

spytech

by spytech

hmm, do you have a picture? would you use them everyday? have you used them before?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com