BIGGEST WW Purchase EVER !!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ejm

by ejm

Hi all!

Today I resigned from my job at a local bike shop to...

PURCHASE MY OWN BIKE STORE !!!

HEAVIEST WW PROJECT YET :D

It's about 50km away, so it'll be a bit of a ride or drive everyday - but it'll be MY OWN SHOP!

I've worked in retail for a long time, and have managed and worked in small audiophile HiFi shops, large home electronics stores, computer franchises and, of course, a bike shop. So, sales and management wise - all is good.
Best of all, a passion for cycling and getting people out to ENJOY riding. Not neccesarily competitive, fast or technical - but just to get people out there on bikes.
If they enjoy building a sub 6kg bike - mate, I'll be happy to help! But, if they are after some hard to get vintage part for a restoration project I'll be equally intruiged...

Love it!

the store logo will be -

I take that shop over on the 19th February 2007, and have plenty of things to sort out in the next few weeks!

Here it is -

It's in a regional Western Australian town called Collie - mainly Coal Mining, Power Stations (Electricity Generation) and Alumina Bauxite refinery. 50km inland from the coast about 200km south of Perth.

Plenty of MTBing around, and was the centre for road and track cycling in the state up until about 30 years ago.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I hope the moderators don't lock this thread - I just want to share my happiness and excitement!!

Thanks all!

Cheers,
erik
Visiting Southwest Western Australia? Visit our store, Crank'n Cycles, in Collie!

Mads Kock

by Mads Kock

what's the weight? :-D

congratulations and good luck!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shamus

by Shamus

Do you ship to Finland?... :D

dark_albert

by dark_albert

year, good luck with you shop. thats g great start for 2007....dark_albert

ejm

by ejm

Shamus wrote:Do you ship to Finland?... :D

I was going to write in the original message that Australia isn't the cheapest place to buy parts from wholesalers... just due to the fact that Australia is quite a small market (globally) for some companies. There are a few multinationals that have quite a level global market, most notably Giant and Shimano, where the price is similar everywhere (except Shimano on ProBikeKit... I'm sure they must be loosing money when they sell some of their Shimano Groupsets...).

I'm still a believer in supporting your local bike shop if you expect them to support you when you're in dire need of mechanical assistance or emergency spare parts - plus, of course, continued advice on any bike related issue.

If you're after the cheapest price, it's hard for bike stores to compete because of the overheads in having a store - with bills from rent, electricity, advertising, holding a full range of stock (rather than just what's on special from suppliers that particular week) etc. etc.

Don't get me wrong, i've bought plenty of stuff from the net - but only when it really isn't available locally, or it's just too good a deal to pass up.

Having said that I'm happy to help out WW's anytime they need help.

cheers all,
erik
Visiting Southwest Western Australia? Visit our store, Crank'n Cycles, in Collie!

mathi

by mathi

Nice one ejm , hope it all works out ok :)

CharlesM

by CharlesM

Congrats and good luck!

Too true about prices in OZ. I think shipping is also a factor for you folks there as well, so I get what you're saying when it comes to your cost of goods before mark up... Shame as that place is so bike mad.

Wondering based on some prices I see if there isn't an fair large import tax as well? I know Austrailia isn't exactly easy to move to and get a job as protectionism there is pretty high. Maybe the same for import goods as import people... :(

Mathieu

by Mathieu

good luck :D

cmh

by cmh

Awesome! Good luck!!!

record

by record

congratulations and good luck with your new store!

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

Looks cool.

I've been asked to consult on a new bike shop in Toronto. They will be carrying only high-end frames and clothing.

What are you doing to distinguish your shop from others? We're planning a cafe with weekly rides and as many live races on a big plasma TV as we can find.

Swayze's Hair

by Swayze's Hair

DocRay....where is this shop going to be located? When is the suspected opening?

Sorry for the OT
4//25

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

What's with the games and puzzles (note the sign over the store)?

CharlesM

by CharlesM

DocRay wrote:
What are you doing to distinguish your shop from others?

I think just being open and available in the area he's at is probably distiguishing... But something to spruce and reinvigorate is always a great idea.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Giantlover

by Giantlover

Good luck with your store!