My Pinarello F4:13 With Zipp 303's & Mavic SL's

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

steelstring7

by steelstring7

I previously posted a photo of my Pinarello F4:13 with Zipp 303 wheels installed. I also use a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels. I've attached a photo of each for comparison.

It's amazing to me how different the bike looks depending on which set of wheels are installed.

The Zipp wheels with Veloflex Carbon tubs are a full 1.5 pounds lighter than the Mavic's with Michelin Pro2 Race tires.

The weight difference from a 16.49 pound bike to a 14.97 pound bike seems dramatic to me.
Attachments
Pina F413 Mavic Bike - Web.jpg
Pina F413 Zipp Bike - Web 2.jpg
If it doesn't hurt, you're not trying hard enough!
Sweating is steam cleaning from the inside out!

VENTOUX

by VENTOUX

Awesome bike! I love how well the blue matches throughout the bike with all of the special decals and such.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

steelstring7

by steelstring7

Thanks for the good words, Ventoux!

I got the bike through Wrench Science in September, 2005, just when the F4:13 just came out. Avi at Wrench Science got in a red carbon frame before my blue one, and asked me to come over and see it. He put a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL's on it with Michelin Pro2 Race red sidewall tires.

I would never have ordered a bike with red tires, but after seeing the bike like that, it grew on me. So I asked them to put Mavic SL's with blue Michelin tires on mine. Compared to black tires, the blue tires really tied in with the color of the frame, and made the look "pop". I really like it.

As for the Zipp wheels, they used to have the standard Zipp decals with a red emblem below the "Zipp". It didn't really go well with a blue carbon bike, so I changed them with new decals that had a blue emblem below the Zipp to match the frame.

Thanks again! :D

snoballz

by snoballz

Nice!!! Must be nice to be close to WS. They have a great site and I was going to purchase from them but went another route.

The blue hue on Rav-X water bottle cage looks nice too on the frame.

8)

steelstring7

by steelstring7

Thanks snobalz!

I wanted to get a minimalist carbon bottle cage. A lot of cages just seemed too bulky. The RavX Alpha X model really fit the bill. And it happened to come with a few accent colors. The one with the dark blue highlights worked well with the frame.

Wrench Science is just across the Bay from me. What a place! It's like an adult candy store. You decide what frame you want, and then the fun is just beginning. They have parts all over the place. You want stems and handlebars? No problem. Avi will line up six or more of each for you to look at. And if they don't have it, they'll get it for you. And their mechanic there, Tom, is just as good as it gets. Very knowledgeable and friendly people. They were great to work with.

Thanks again. :D

VENTOUX

by VENTOUX

HEY! I just noticed you live in San Mateo, I do too! Do you ride for a club or something?

steelstring7

by steelstring7

Hi Ventoux,

No clubs for me. I ride solo or with friends, and ride some events. In good weather, I ride Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday, and work out at the Pacific Athletic Club on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. That slows down in the winter with standard time and rain, and I'm relegated to spinning classes on week nights to keep in cycling shape.

My normal after work ride is around 25 miles, and either starts in downtown Woodside by Roberts Market, or by Canada Road and Highway 92.

On Sundays, I ride with friends, usually 35 to 45 miles, but sometimes 70 miles or so. We start in Palo Alto on Sundays, and go all over, usually up Old La Honda or Kings Mountain Road to Skyline, and back. Sometimes, we'll also go West to the coast, and come back.

I meet a lot of riders who come up to me and say hi, and like to talk bikes. Some are club riders, some not. We just join up and ride together for a while. I'm always amazed at the physical shape some of these guys are in.

If you want to ride some time, PM me, and we'll get together.

Thanks. :D

Kuiper

by Kuiper

Nice choice of components like that version with The Zipps
don't you need to cut your fork a bit? and remove some spacers.

steelstring7

by steelstring7

Hi Chris.

Thanks for your input. I really like the bike with the Zipps on it. Light, fast and fun.

I saw your web site with your Canyon bike and Lightweight wheels. Looks great!

As for my fork steerer tube length and spacers, the tube could be shorter, with fewer spacers. However, since I'm 55 years old, and don't have the flexibility of you younger riders, I purposely had the bike built with very little drop from the saddle to the stem (2 or 3 inches) so that it would be more comfortable for me to ride.

Chris, thanks for your comments. :D

cswi9367

by cswi9367

wow, im amazed that the wheels and tires dropped a full 1.5 lbs off your bike. i knew tubulars were lighter, but had no idea that they were this much lighter. unfortunately, ive always been worried about tubulars just because flatting on a ride. i dont like to be stranded.

great looking bike!

speaking of across the bay of WS, i live 2 miles from the ZIPP factory. its a fun tour.

steelstring7

by steelstring7

Hi cswi9367!

The Zipp 303's that I have are a particularly light set, and come in at 1026 grams (weight per manufacturer is 1125 grams), versus about 1586 for the Mavic Ksyriums.

The Veloflex Carbon tubular tires are about 264 grams each, plus about 70 grams for the Tufo tape (regular glue would be lighter, but I like the tape), versus about 220 grams for each Michelin Pro2 race tire and 96 grams for each tube.

The cassette I use with the Zipps is an aluminum race cassette that weighs about 156 grams versus 233 grams for the Campy 13-29 on the Mavics.

It all nets out to around a 1.5 pound difference.

Replacing one of the tubular tires out on the road would be very difficult due to the adhesion of the Tufo extreme tape that holds them on.

When I ride with the Zipps with tubular tires, I don't bother bringing a seat bag or a spare tire. I just bring along a Vittoria Pit-Stop foam cannister to repair small punctures, and a Topeak micro pump to inflate to higher pressure, if necessary. I carry that stuff in one of my jersey pockets. Luckily enough, I haven't had a problem yet.

Thanks for the response. :D

Kuiper

by Kuiper

steelstring7 wrote:Hi Chris.

Thanks for your input. I really like the bike with the Zipps on it. Light, fast and fun.

I saw your web site with your Canyon bike and Lightweight wheels. Looks great!

As for my fork steerer tube length and spacers, the tube could be shorter, with fewer spacers. However, since I'm 55 years old, and don't have the flexibility of you younger riders, I purposely had the bike built with very little drop from the saddle to the stem (2 or 3 inches) so that it would be more comfortable for me to ride.

Chris, thanks for your comments. :D

aha that makes sense :wink: you don't need a "deep"-position because you're probably not in competition. According to your age I can Imagine that you took so much spacers. (if you every buy again pssst! 1 size larger and smaller stem, so that the top-tube to the front-end stays the same. And you can use less spacers)
on the other side I think the size is right while looking to the seatpost. (the length how much it's out)

I hope you chance brake-pads / -holders during changing wheels...

"a litte bit off-topic":
First I was also thinking about a Blue F4:13, then I found Italy and saw the prices there... Then Paris came in my mind (due the nice Italian prizes) and then I thought about the risk of crashing :roll: for me in Competition it's not worth to buy a expensive frame and cost to high to replace.
Then I saw Team Lightweight with Canyon and Felix0r of this forum andd then I thought that's it
:D and Bought the Canyon F10, now I am going back to a Alu. frame the Canyon Ultimate AL.
When I am older the chance is big I will get a pina.

Thanks for your nice reply and looking to my website hope you liked it :wink: (and found the english section)

steelstring7

by steelstring7

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the response!

As for the brakes, I use two completely separate sets of brake pads and holders, one for the Zipps with Zipp pads, and one for the Mavics with Campy pads. I switch the brakes out each time I switch the wheels. Both sets of brakes work fine on their respective rims, though the braking on the alloy Mavics is noticably stronger than the carbon Zipps.

The Pinarello Paris frame in the team colors is one nice bike. Combined with Campy components and Campy Bora wheels, it looks really cool. 8)

I'm Italian, and when I saw that Pinarello came out with an all carbon frame late in 2005, I decided that it was the time to get a new bike. I'm having fun riding with my friends, and plan on going to Veneto, Italy this summer to ride for a week (the area includes Venice, Vincenza and Treviso), and hope to join up with Pinarello's Gran Fondo. I hope you get a Pinarello and join in too!

Thanks again!

:lol:

Kuiper

by Kuiper

steelstring7 wrote:Hey Chris,

Thanks for the response!

As for the brakes, I use two completely separate sets of brake pads and holders, one for the Zipps with Zipp pads, and one for the Mavics with Campy pads. I switch the brakes out each time I switch the wheels.

The Pinarello Paris frame in the team colors is one nice bike. Combined with Campy components and Campy Bora wheels, it looks really cool. 8)

Great now I finally can sleep well.

It was arround November 2005 when I started to become Pina. addicted when I registerd on the forum :lol: (thank you LJ :wink: )

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

airsoft510

by airsoft510

nice bike, i agree in terms of wrench science, i've only been there once, but they were very helpfull, i bought my Sram stuff from them, and they were very helpfull