build kit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spin110

by spin110

I want a sub 6800g bike for road races and crits. I weigh 70 kilos. What do you guys think of my build kit? What will save me the most grams for the money?

Frame
Custom True Temper S3 Steel 56cm 1200 to 1300g

Fork
Something really light like the Easton ec90 slx (I am looking for an inexpensive alternative) 300g

Headset
Cane creek IS-2 70g

Stem
Syntace F99 120g

Bars
3t Prima 199, 200g

Seatpost
Use Alien Carbon (Should I just stick with the stock American classic, 200g and invest the 85 dollars elsewhere?)

Saddle
Selle Italia slr 140g

Seatpost clamp
Salsa 30g

Brakes
2005 Ultegra 335g (Could I tune them with some Koolstop pads, how many grams would I save?)

Shifters
2005 ultegra ten 520g (That’s mainly a guess)

Front derailleur
Ultegra 100g

Rear Derailleur
Ultegra 220g

Bottom Bracket
I’m taking Suggestions. Token super light 150g

Cranks
I’m Taking suggestions. Maybe, I’ll go with the stronglight pulsion. I want something light but just as stiff as the regular ultegra. 460g

Pedals
Keywin 200g

Chain
Shimano 300g

Cassette
Shimano 200g

Skewers
American classic 100g

Wheels
American classic 350 1360g

Rim tape
40g

Inner tubes
Performance lunarlite 100g

Tires
Veloflex pave 360g

Cables
Shimano 120g

Bottle cages
B-T-P 30g

Stuff I forgot
100g

Total: 6985g :evil:

Help me shed another 200g!

zoey

by zoey

Saving 200g off this build list is easy. The question is are you on a budget?
Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Smahatma

by Smahatma

Exactly as zoey said. For example, by switching to a Tune Concorde saddle, you can save 95 grams right there, but it costs 285 euros.

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

I would put some lighter and better quality tubular wheels. And you are getting very light STEEL frame?

520g sifters? You may be right but Record's weight 326g...200g less! Huge difference!

And switching Campy opens new world for quality and light parts...orginal Campa.... :wink:

Try to count how much it would weight on Chorus etc. instead Ultegra and you WILL see the light.....

cadence90

by cadence90

This is kind of a curious build list.
How are you getting an S3 in 56 down to 1200-1300g? That's really thin wall steel, but still....
That seems very optimistic. Who's the builder?
If you're going with S3, how will it accept an integrated headset, without modifying the tube itself (i.e. inserts). I think putting an IS-2 in an S3 headtube might be asking for trouble.
The fork, your choice, based on frame design.
Bar/stem is a good combo. Light and reliable.
I personally dislike USE posts, adjustment is a nightmare and they never felt secure, but that's subjective.
Salsa seatpost clamp? No. You can get a fine one for 20g or Extralite for 9 or 12g.
I prefer Campa drivetrain/shifters to Ultegra, and the weight is not even close.
At 70 kg, depending on how you ride, (if mainly in crits) Zero Gravity brakes might be OK.
BB. I think the word is still out on AC/Spada/New Ultimate/Token.
Chain. If you go Campa the new C10 Ultra is 260g or so I believe.
The cassette is too heavy, even w/lockring.
Rim tape 40g??? You can do better, even with plain Velox 30g.
I think, first, you need to verify the frame weight, then get a good light matched fork and wheels. From that knowledge, dial in on the other components to get to the weight you want, given what your physique, riding style and budget will allow.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

number_22

by number_22

Considering your weight, I would definitely choose a different frame, a lighter one. Also, don`t go for the SLX fork.

spin110

by spin110

I am on a budget, those options are expensive :evil: .
I with a little help will be making the frame (it won't be the first). I have spoken with some people from henry james, and taylor bikes, S3 does not normally come with a headtube. There are painted s3 frames that weigh well under 3 pounds. With a nitrate coating (like on some high end mtb supension forks), I am losing 3 ounces right there from the paint. I can only spend another 100 to 200 dollars in upgrades. What is the cheapest way I could shave 200g. I think I will stick with the btp cages. All weight weenie bikes need to have a little bit of german carbon :wink: . What fork should I get? I need to spend under 200.
An ultegra ten basic kit will be roughly 1075, a basic chorus kit is 1550 :shock: at gvh bikes and roughly the same at wisecyclebuys. Where can I get campy dirt cheap?

cadence90

by cadence90

spin110 wrote:I am on a budget, those options are expensive :evil: .
I with a little help will be making the frame (it won't be the first). I have spoken with some people from henry james, and taylor bikes, S3 does not normally come with a headtube. There are painted s3 frames that weigh well under 3 pounds. With a nitrate coating (like on some high end mtb supension forks), I am losing 3 ounces right there from the paint. I can only spend another 100 to 200 dollars in upgrades. What is the cheapest way I could shave 200g. I think I will stick with the btp cages. All weight weenie bikes need to have a little bit of german carbon :wink: . What fork should I get? I need to spend under 200.
An ultegra ten basic kit will be roughly 1075, a basic chorus kit is 1550 :shock: at gvh bikes and roughly the same at wisecyclebuys. Where can I get campy dirt cheap?

6799 is my dream too, so I understand the desire.
But putting a bike on that severe a diet is not inexpensive, especially given a steel or ti frame.
Perhaps I'm not clear on your budget, but you want a 300g crit-worthy fork for $200? Good luck. Other guys will know more; perhaps the Ritchey WCS is the most economical fork near 300g, but I don't know anything about how it performs.

For good Campa parts at great prices I'm patient on eBay.
Especially recently when people were dumping basically new '03 Record for '04 Record (which they weren't going to ride either, I'm sure. :wink: ).
The cheapest way to save 200g may not be the best. I think the Campa will get you there and be worth it.

If you insist on Ultegra, I'd say spend the $200 toward the best fork you can get and forget the weight goal for it's own sake. A great 6900 bike is a better investment than a lesser 6800 version, IMO.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

spin110

by spin110

I will look into campy. I guess 50 grams extra on a fork is worth it if it makes it crit worthy. What do you think of the regular ec90? Right now, I could get it for 130 clams. What kind of weight savings am I looking at going from ultegra ten to chorus or record? Should I stick with the american classic post 190g (claimed)? Maybe, I could increase my budget a little bit if I want a 6799 gram bike. Let's say I stick with ultegra, what's next on my list as for upgrades? Now that I think about it, a stupid light fork for crits is not a brilliant idea. The new ritchey fork looks sick though. How knows, maybe I could get mqc to sell me some of those uberlight shallow carbon rims and build them up with ac or soul hubs and sapims. Don't burst my bubble :wink: .

doozer

by doozer

cycle dynamic full Ti cassette. about 120g and pretty cheap.

Skewers - USE Ti spin stix about 55grams

both should save you about 120grams. cassette was about $120 canadian and the spin stix are £40 GBP.

Dooz :mrgreen:
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

Tippster

by Tippster

Al bolt tuning . . ?

second the earlier post on rim tape. Easy shave some off there.

second the earlier post on the skewers. Ti?

second the earlier post on seatpost clamp. Don't spend the extra cash for Ti bolt (costs a fortune and saves only 2g), go for standard extralite clamp.

I run a 11-23 9 speed DA cassette on my mtb 156g!

I also run a DA7800 mech on my mtb. weighed in an honest 181g. SRP got the weight down to 168g. Cheaper than SRP is just getting an Al bolt for the cable grip.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

C-40

by C-40

Unfortunately, MQC (Reynolds) does not sell rims- complete wheels only.

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Weight in crits - I would be more concerned with ahving a crit-worthy bike than having it be the lightest you can find. I moved to a HEAVIER fork because my previous lighter one just wasn't stiff enough for the fast crit racing out here.

I love my steel racing steed (Dedaccai Zero), but if I was building up a lightweight crit racer, it'd be aluminum. Cheaper and lighter.

Given how light you already have that bike, it's gonna be hard to do much more than what I've seen listed here for under $200.

cadence90

by cadence90

doozer wrote:cycle dynamic full Ti cassette. about 120g and pretty cheap.

Skewers - USE Ti spin stix about 55grams

both should save you about 120grams. cassette was about $120 canadian and the spin stix are £40 GBP.

Dooz :mrgreen:

If you use the SpinStix, make sure your dropouts are the James or similar.
You cannot use Breezer-style hooded dropouts with those skewers.
They are good skewers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spin110

by spin110

I am a junior so the lightest cassette I could get would be around 160g. Is campy chorus much better than ultegra ten? What are the diffrences between record and chorus? Am I looking at 100, 200g? Would you upgrade from the am classic post to the use carbon one for 85 clams? Should I invest somewhere else?