Scott C1 5690 Grams

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

number_22

by number_22

@zoey

The bike is really nice, almost nothing to complain about (weight wise).
I just don`t like, that every weight weenie bike is based on the CR1 framest, a bit more diversity would be nice.

zoey

by zoey

number_22 wrote:@zoey

The bike is really nice, almost nothing to complain about (weight wise).
I just don`t like, that every weight weenie bike is based on the CR1 framest, a bit more diversity would be nice.

I have several other bikes and this was a fun project. My favorite bike is still my 2000 Merlin Extralight. Here in the US Scott frames are not widely available making this bike unique.
Last edited by zoey on Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nino

by nino

zoey wrote:So getting back on topic..... :roll: Any comments on the bike?

very nice bike;)
the only thing i don't like is the light colour of the tires sidewalls and the Nokon cables ( i hate them).

zoey

by zoey

@nino

I like them and actually plan to purchase a black set and alternate silver and black sections for the brake and shifters.
Cheers,

nino

by nino

the black Nokons i once tried seized within 2 weeks on my MTB! i was told this happens to the anodized Nokons only so i strongly advise to get the silver ones only! on the 4th ride they started making creaking sounds from glazing against each other, the radius in the cables weren't radius but rather kinks and the shifting went away too...ghost shifting! i had to use WD-40 on the outer segments to lube and clean them. that cured the problem for another 30 minutes then it started all again. additionally the aluminium segments will rub on the frame and you end up patching some protection stickers all over...and you spend 3 times as much time mounting them, you spend 3 times as much as any regular cable and get cables that aren't even sealed at the ends! you have an inner liner that goes through all the way but in the very end they run open...water and dirt enters...BAD!

in addition the NOKON WEIGH TWICE AS MUCH as the Tune plastic housing i'm using!
Tune plastic housing: 18g per m
Nokon: 36g per m (metal outer and inner liner)

and the Tune is much slicker too.

no sorry - Nokons will never ever find their way on my bikes!

zoey

by zoey

@ nino

But where can I find this housing? Tune has stopped selling it.
Cheers,

nino

by nino

sales in this forum aren't allowed.
please contact me off the forum!

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Have you ever thought why Tunen won't sell it eny more?

I fear it will flex so much that sifting accurately is compromised?

I tryed to use Magura plastique hydraulic line for that. Won't work. I fear same about Tune. But I would also like to have some lighter cables...

nino

by nino

Samu Ilonen wrote:Have you ever thought why Tunen won't sell it eny more?

I fear it will flex so much that sifting accurately is compromised?

I tryed to use Magura plastique hydraulic line for that. Won't work. I fear same about Tune. But I would also like to have some lighter cables...

i use those cables for years on all my bikes, MTB and roadbike, on shifters and brakes as well. you won't find a better performing cable.
they are super slick and enhance brakepower quite a bit (less wasted handforce).
no problems ever with these housings! they are however a bit stiffer and won't allow for sharp bends but usually this is no problem. just the rear loop at the rear derailleur won't work unless you use a Avid Rollamajig.

on my MTB these housings alone dropped 50g compared to shimano cables,
on my roadbike it was 60g.

just measure your housings lenghts on your bike and calculate their weight with these numbers below:

Cables + Housings:

BRAKING:
Tune "plastic" 5mm : 18g/m
Tune "plastic" 6mm : 21.5g/m
Nokon: 35.5g/m (metal outer 29.5g/m + plastic sheath 6.5g/m)
Tune "Aluminum-wounded" : 37g/m
Shimano: 53.0g/m
Gore: 57g/m
Shimano XTR : 58.5g/m

SHIFTING:
Tune "plastic": 18g/m
Jagwire: 32.0g/m
Shimano SIS : 34.0g/m
Nokon: 35.5g/m (metal outer 29.5g/m + plastic sheath 6.5g/m)

INNER CABLES:
Shimano Shift Cable : 9g/m
Shimano Brake Cable : 13g/m

cadence90

by cadence90

I second nino's opinion on the Nokon. I have new silver Metawire and, while I like the performance, already some oxidation is apparent. I have to constantly clean/protect them. And I have heard that the anodized (black, and you were asking about blue too) wears off very quickly and looks terrible. The black Nokon I've seen on other bikes does in fact look terrible in a short time.

I do think the shifting with the Nokon/Metawire is a tiny bit improved; but the cost is higher; the finish wear on the links (even silver) is worse (on the frame I've seen regular cable rub also, but the links obviously rub a bit more); getting the set-up exact is tricky the first time, in order not to have kinks, etc.; mine are set up great now, smooth and easy, but all things considered I don't know if I would do it again.
Did you put the electrical heat wrap under your bars, by the way?

I've never tried the tune plastic, but I would be interested.
@ nino, do you have to use rollamajig on the rd?

@ zoey: very nice mate to your Merlin! :thumbup:
Last edited by cadence90 on Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

zoey

by zoey

Other possible savings:

BB: 25g (Spada or other ISIS BB)
Cables: 45g (Tune Housing)
Chainrings: 25g (Stronglight Ceramic)
Wheelset: 350g (CarbonSports "Obermayer") :twisted:
Tires: 140g (Tufo Elite Jet )
Cheers,

nino

by nino

cadence90 wrote:I second nino's opinion on the Nokon. I have new silver Metawire and, while I like the performance, already some oxidation is apparent. I have to constantly clean/protect them. And I have heard that the anodized (black, and you were asking about blue too) wears off very quickly and looks terrible. The black Nokon I've seen on other bikes does in fact look terrible in a short time.

I do think the shifting with the Nokon/Metawire is a tiny bit improved; but the cost is higher; the finish wear on the links (even silver) is worse (on the frame I've seen regular cable rub also, but the links obviously rub a bit more); getting the set-up exact is tricky the first time, in order not to have kinks, etc.; mine are set up great now, smooth and easy, but all things considered I don't know if I would do it again.
Did you put the electrical heat wrap under your bars, by the way?

I've never tried the tune plastic, but I would be interested.
@ nino, do you have to use rollamajig on the rd?

@ zoey: very nice mate to your Merlin! :thumbup:

no- you don't but then you will have to use regular housing. the Tune is rather stiff and could hinder your derailleur...thus hinder shifting action.

by the way:
the swiss Nokon distributor warns from using Nokon cables on 10s shifting...it won't work!!! tells something about those cables, doesn't it?

zoey

by zoey

I've been running the Norkon since April on the Merlin without issues. That said I have yet to do a ride in the rain with them with the fair California weather. :)
Looking at other pro bikes I see the Norkon used on the brakes but normal Campy or Shimano cables used for the shifting that may say something. :noidea:
Cheers,

cadence90

by cadence90

I don't think it's rain; it's the salt, smog, and whatever other horrible stuff is in Los Angeles air. :cry:
I can't say I've had any particular problems on Campa 10S shifting.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zoey

by zoey

I'm going to see if I can't track down some Tune "Plastic Stuff". If anyone knows where I should start looking PM me.
Cheers,