My new bike!!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nino

by nino

sounds like a sweet build! here's my suggestions:

Bottle Cage: Arundle 30..........get the Tune at 7g per cage (9g incl. al-bolts) or B-T-P for standard bottles at 12g

Brake Levers/Shifter: 7800 Dura Ace 10 Speed (incl. shifters) 420..........you should run CAMPA (-100g!!)':wink:'

Rear Brakes: Zero-Gravity 185...............put some MTB pads: better stopping power and lighter.mine weigh 178g

Cables: Shimano Cables 120..................Tune plastic housings weighs 18g/m. Shimano weighs 58g(brakes) and 38g (shifting). those housings save ca. 50g and are slicker than anything else!

Cassette: 7800 Dura Ace 10 Speed 12-23 180.............there are some nice AL-cassettes available.they shift flawless and durability on the road is also quite good. weight ca. 120g!

Chain: KMC X10 230....................get the KMC X10 SL. available soon and weighs 240g uncut (116 links). i weighed such a chain with 104 links at eurobike and it weighed just 221g. sweeeeet! hollow pins and drilled sideplates. a must have! much lighter than the Wippermann Ti.

Crankset: Stronglight Pulsion 172.5mm ISIS 434................shave those rings: -30g ca.

Crank Bolts: New Ultimate ISIS 23...............they are 28g.total weight of the New Ultimate BB is 146g with bolts

Derlr (Front) 7800 Dura Ace 10 Speed Braze On 71............you should run CAMPA ':wink:'

Derlr (Rear) 7800 Dura Ace 10 Speed 180...................you should run CAMPA ':wink:' ...but a SRP Al-kit brings the weight down to 173g. some modified pulleys even to sub 170g.

Fork: Ritchey WCS Carbon 280g.....................can't be true?? i hope you have that weight verified somewhere...

Headset Cap/Bolt: FSA 0g..................no cap?

Quick Releases: USE Alien Spin Stix 56...................Heylight TT axles 38g (Ti) or 26g (Al). Heylight Ti skewers 52g

Seat Binder: Scott CR1 16..............with Al-bolt 14g

Seat: AX Lightness Apollo SL 73...................Tune Concorde 45g , lighter,cheaper and better comfort

Seatpost: Heylight Superleicht II 31.6mm 110...............don't have that seatpost cut too short!! it weighs 114g at 225mm lenght which sounds already pretty short to me. Heylight seatposts are tapered and allow only a ertain amount to be cut.

Stem: Ritchey WCS 90mm 100...............really? that's the lightest WCS i know of...get a Syntace F-99 instead! a WCS doesn't belong on such a nice bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Thanks for the insight nino.

Let me go through the list.

Bottle cages, I will never switch to a non standard bottle cage, but theres a very good chance I may buy the New Ultimate cage, only 13g.

Drivetrain, Shimano baby! 8) I know it weighs more, but it's what I use.

Brakes, which pads did you put in? I'm getting new pads.

Cable housing, how reliable is the Tune stuff? Got pics and a place to order?

Crankset, 434 is pretty damned light, I'm not going to mess with the chainrings. However, I am looking into the new Stronglight Cermamic Teflen coated chainrings, or the new Zipp chainrings when available(only 93g for the set!!!)

Crankbolts, you got it right at 28g, I listed the ones came with the cranks

Fork, 280g is pretty acurate, it weighs 311g uncut with a 300mm steerer tube, I plan on trimming 100mm off. I cut a 10mm piece off and it weighed a litlte over 4g, so 10X4g is 40g, so 270g - 280g for the fork.

Headset cap, I'm gonna get the schmolke or put something to cover the hole.

QR's, I like the Spin Stix, and I will not switch to non removable ones. 4g savings isn't worth it.

Seat binder, maybe I'll get a Ti bolt

Saddle, I got the Apollo, thats that

Seatpost, 110g is an estimate. I won't know the exact lenght of the post until I get the frame, so 110g-120g

Stem, 100g is right. I haven't actually weighed mine, a 90mm, but today I weighed a 120mm at 108g. Syntace F99 isn't compatible with carbon bars, unless you have a schmolke.

Let me know what you think. Thanks Nino

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

Isn't that Conti Supersonic tube/wheeltape set same as Maxxis Flyweight?

Tubes are pain to get in without breaking them and rimtape is bit scary, it's like my jogging pants waist rubber band...

But go ahead....

nino

by nino

Drivetrain, Shimano baby! 8) I know it weighs more, but it's what I use.
just try the REAL stuff once....':wink:'

Brakes, which pads did you put in? I'm getting new pads.
just some black Kool-Stop MTB pads. they fit the padholders but need to be cut because the MTB pads are longer. you get much better brakeperformance and 9g less compared with standard ZG pads.

Cable housing, how reliable is the Tune stuff? Got pics and a place to order? yes it is reliable. these housings are much slicker than anything else and save "tons" of weight.you can't get it anymore but i have some left.

Crankset, 434 is pretty damned light, I'm not going to mess with the chainrings. However, I am looking into the new Stronglight Cermamic Teflen coated chainrings, or the new Zipp chainrings when available(only 93g for the set!!!). what's the problem in shaving the rings? you don't need to spend more euros, just a couple of minutes.

Fork, 280g is pretty acurate, it weighs 311g uncut with a 300mm steerer tube, I plan on trimming 100mm off. I cut a 10mm piece off and it weighed a litlte over 4g, so 10X4g is 40g, so 270g - 280g for the fork.
knowing that Ritchey always has the cheapest suppliers from Taiwan etc. would scare me here. that fork is as light as the Scott Superlight and other light forks. but a wise choice to leave the superlight fork out - it's too flexy! i wonder if that Ritchey is any better though?

QR's, I like the Spin Stix, and I will not switch to non removable ones. 4g savings isn't worth it.
the Heylight have QRs at 52g. bolt-on axles weigh from 26g and are real cheap to get.

Stem, 100g is right. I haven't actually weighed mine, a 90mm, but today I weighed a 120mm at 108g. Syntace F99 isn't compatible with carbon bars, unless you have a schmolke.
what shouldn't be compatible? it has nothing to do with Syntace, rather with the 4-bolt faceplate. those stress bars more than 2 bolt designs. your Ritchey is no different here...use the recommended torque settings and you are fine.

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

Superlite wrote:Ummm?

No offense, but why did you post your bike specs? :lol:

Superlite you always tells us about your race results in the US how can you be in a crit without an 11 cog in the cassette?

C-40

by C-40

How many lawns do you have to mow in order to pay for this pimped ride of yours? And then how many hours per lawn does it take. I am thinking about starting a lawn service company so that i can get rid of this damned C-40 of mine........ gosh you just emake feel like such a weenie- you the man....... good luck!!!!

Superlite

by Superlite

Superlite you always tells us about your race results in the US how can you be in a crit without an 11 cog in the cassette?

Dude, I suck at crits, I don't have the power. Don't really care.

How many lawns do you have to mow in order to pay for this pimped ride of yours? And then how many hours per lawn does it take. I am thinking about starting a lawn service company so that i can get rid of this damned C-40 of mine........ gosh you just emake feel like such a weenie- you the man....... good luck!!!!

I mowed about 2 lawns a week, 30 min a piece at $40 a pop ($80 an hour 8) )

Oh yeah, mowing lawns is gooooood for the bike. lol

C-40

by C-40

Now wait....... That is 80.00 per hour but according to you, you are only mowing lawns for one hour per week. 80.00 per week x 52 weeks per year is only 4,000/ year and that pimped out ride of yours is well over 5 big ones...... plus I am sure that you have a few other expenses besides carbon fiber stuff. So how do you pull this sort of caper off?

Superlite

by Superlite

You forget, I sold my old frameset, wheels, components, saddle, post, bringing in over $2300. Plus I get everything at almost cost, and I am carrying over the brakes, pedals, and STI levers.

Total cost of this project is around $3500, so actual money involved is $1300, retail around $6300 8)

THERE!!! Have I explained my finances well enough to you? :wink:

Smahatma

by Smahatma

Superlite wrote:Plus I get everything at almost cost

Ah, okay -- that explains some of your equipment choices.

Joel

by Joel

I think I'd better move to the States, $80/hour, maybe you find a crazy old man over here who wants to pay $10, but 80, no way
Are the people in CO that rich or just stupid?

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Stick with the WCS stem, it's so much stiffer. The F99 indeed damages all kinds of handlebars, road or MTB. I saw so many carbon fibre or aluminum bars with kinks from using an F99. My MTBs Easton EC90 handlebar is a victim, too. The F99 is a light beauty but everything else about it is just bad.

nino

by nino

problem is that recommended torque setting on the clamp is just 6 N/mm and most don't have/use a torque wrench... so don't blame a stem for those failures.

the Syntace F-99 is THE stem. stiffest and lightest as well.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Nope, the road stem is 25.8 mm diameter, kinking 26.0 bars. My F99s bolts have been lubed and torqed with a torque wrench to 4 Nm. Effect: kinked Easton Carbon bar.

Stiff? Not as stiff as the WCS on my other MTB and road bike and by far not as stiff as the 136 g FSA OS115. 'stiffest and lightest as well.' is just wishful thinking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Joel wrote:Are the people in CO that rich or just stupid?

yes, some of them are. Superlite doesn't live in the big money area, either!! Imagine what he'd get up around Vail ;)