bars/ stem combo.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Hi, I'm looking at the Deda Mag oo stem ( 98 gms ) but the bars ( 31.7 clamp ) are 215 gms. Does anyone know of a carbon bar that would go in the 31.7 clamp? thanks fellow weenies, David

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cyco

by Cyco

The Deda Spectrum are a 31.7 carbon road bar, also options include one from FSA next year IIRC.
Unless you need the stiffness a ITM THE stem (or Deda Mag 61) with Schmolke carbon SL bars would be lighter.

PK

by PK

I've gone for ITM The STEM (actual weight 105g 120mm) with some Kestrel Carbon EMS PRO SL bars (178g), less expensive and better looking than Schmolkes. Mine are 26mil but they also do the larger diameter to fit mag oo if you've already bought it. Word of advice, those Ti bolts snap real easy so torque wrench is a must.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

PK, I went to the Kestrel site and asked what the os bars were going to weigh and they said 215-230 gms or so for the oversized clamp area depending on the width. The weights of the oversized bars are usually more from what I've seen. Have you seen the Schmolkes? Why did you say they weren't as good looking? The oversized bars do look better I think because they look beefier. Is that the only reason you think the Kestrels look better? They do have a decal or something on them but the bartape is going to cover up alot of that. Gotta go, David

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Just wanted to set the record straight. Got another e-mail from Kestrel and the new ( due out in the spring ) 31.7 "O S " bars at 44 mm are going to weigh 185-190 or so. I'm just posting this, nothing else.

PK

by PK

as a suggestion look at the carbon oversized bars at
www.mdt-products.com
these may suit your needs :?

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Pk, I haven't bought the stem yet. I'm not sure I made that clear. So if I buy a ITM magnesium " the" stem at 98 grams I won't need an oversized bar. The Schmolke bars are 160 grams for my size. I'm not sure if any other combo comes close to that.

PK

by PK

Until Schmolke or someone similar bring our a bar/stem combo that is built with performance and weight as a pretext rather than looks, I think you'll be hard pressed to beat that.

p3u

by p3u

I've been riding with Deda Newton bar and Magic stem, claimed at 205g for the bar at 44cm, 147g for the stem at 110mm. Guess what! I weighed mine yesterday bar a 42cm 238gm, stem 110mm 173g. Deda lies about thier weights so watch out.

To get to your question the Mag stem isn't even close to 98g, try 145g in a 120mm. :(

popawheelie

by popawheelie

Thanks for the info.. I didn't weigh mine. I did optimize the bolts though. All the heads were lowered and reduced in dia.. They were shortened and drilled out. I can't verify the weirht, but it should help.

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I also have a 100 cm.. I have changed my position on this bike by bringing the bars closer so I can spend more time on the hoods. I also rotated the hoods/bars up so I'm more comfortable on them.

francois_viviers@hotmail.

by francois_viviers@hotmail.

A clubmate of mine cracket his Deda mag00 stem the other day he had it for 2 months (he weighs in at 79kg) 2 days later he snapped the bottom part of the clamp on his Deda Blackstick mag version seatpost. I sold this post to him as soon as it was delivered to me, reason being that it was advertised at 145grams and weighed 170. £10 loss to me. Deda are lying cheats! And their Magnesium products in my opinion should have a rider weight limit to them.

I have been riding a ITM magnesium stem for about 2 years on one bike and a new one for one year on my other bike. No problems so far. 100mm and they wiegh in at 94 and 95 grams. As for oversized bars being more solid.... this sound like an afwul lot of sales talk with a pinch of actual engineering and stress data to back it up. I use Easton carbon bars 180grams and they are more solid that any aluminium bars I treid.

You'll be happy to know that they now also offer an oversized one is that is what you must have at the same weight. (advertised)

popawheelie

by popawheelie

I think carbon is not a good choice for seatposts. I use Ti.

francois_viviers@hotmail.

by francois_viviers@hotmail.

Hmmm carbon has always been good for me, the only problem is Magnesium, still not to sure on how good it is.

An ITM/ Deda stem that is 2 years old should be replaced, and I have been thinking about it for a while now. But this is the trade off that you make when you try and go as light as possible, but every time I get on my sub 11lbs bike it still puts a smile on my face.

wally318

by wally318

Hello Francois. Will you be posting your sub 11 lb. bike in the light bike section of this web-site? Or can you at least tell us a bit about it? We're all ears.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com