Copy/Fake? Tune AC16/17 skewers on eBay

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
dannymelancholy

by dannymelancholy

Hi

Sorry, I dont speak German so I may be wrong but are these fake/copy Tune AC16/17 skewers?

Isnt "Konstruktion und Finish ähnlich den Tune AC 16/17" effectively "contructon and finish the same/similar as Tune AC 16/17", or is that just a bad translation?

If Im right, has anyone any experience of these skewers? Is this legal ie copyright/patent?

Thanks!
---------------------
Taking the path of least resistance...

collideous

by collideous

The auction says that they're similar to Tune skewers. So they're not Tune, they just look like them.
blogging at 29in.ch

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dannymelancholy

by dannymelancholy

I bought a set of these skewers out of curiosity. I just weighed them :¬(

Fr - 32.65g
Rr - 34.85g

Ttl - 67.5g

They claimed 58g the pair in the advert, unless that was for road, but I dont see an additional 9.5 g for an extra 10mm of axel width! They are well finished but the travel is only about 1-1.25mm, where in a pair of XT, for example, the travel is about 2mm. I dont know the clamping pressure as I dont have the tools to measure this but given they have less travel than other skewers surely this means less clamping pressure? Ultimately, would you really want to trust a pair of unproven skewers; I dont!

Anyone else bought a set and have a different experience or do you all have too much sense (and money!) ? :¬)

Laterz.
---------------------

dannymelancholy

by dannymelancholy

Just bought a genuine set of Tune and the travel is only about 1.3 - 1.5mm, so maybe Im talking cr*p about travel and clamping pressure?

The eBay seller (bike'hardest) was happy to refund them so I sent them back before trying them but if you're looking for a cheap(er) set of skewers then these may be OK, although I still wouldnt want to be their test subject!
---------------------