700c wheels with disc hubs - suggestions?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tippster

by Tippster

I'm currently running a mtb on the road 30 miles a day, 5 days a week. With potential for my milage to increase.

My current wheelset is 26 inch
XT disc / DT rev / Mavic 517 (I used to run v-brakes)

As I run disc brakes, I'd like to get a set of 700c wheels built up.
I weight 175lbs and bearing in mind I will cover 8k miles a year (road).

I'm happy to spend the cash to get a very light weight AND durable set built. My concerns are spoke strength, moving to 700c with discs (hope mini) and hub durability.

My XT hubs took about 8,000 miles before the freehub needed replacing. I've re-greased the bearings only once. Cones appeared like new.

budget £400UK - $700USD. weight 175lbs. Any suggestions?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

What tyre width do you want to ride?

The DT RR 1.1 is the most solid rim for tyres up to 700x28C coming in at ~420 g and should handle disc brakes without problems.
If you want to run wider tyres I'd recommend you the DT TK 7.1 (claimed 540 g) or the Mavic A719 (claimed 565 g).
As alternative Sun makes (or made?) the XTC 0° claimed to weigh 470 g, but the pair in my cellar weighs 557 g each. :(
They look very strong though.

As for the spokes I'd choose DT Super Comps.
Best compromise between weight and durability for 700C disc brake wheels IMHO.
And go for brass nipples: while braking the forces are already high on 26" wheels and they increase once more at 28".

Hubs: if you want to shed some weight compared to Shimano hubs take a look at the new DT 340 Disc - looks promising and DT hubs have a good reputation in terms of bearing durability.
Image Image

Tippster

by Tippster

I want to ride stadard road tyres. I am mtber so clueless as to roadie stuff. I currently ride 1inch Conti GP tyres on my 26inch wheels.

likely go for 23mm or 25mm tyres.

As I'm not placing any friction or stess on the sidewalls of the rims, would carbon rims or silly light rims be more of an option for me than others, as I'm not wearing down the sidewalls?

thanks Florian!
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Deruneinholbare

by Deruneinholbare

check the new mavic wheelset!!
I' seen Karl Platt top 20 on the worlds race them on his hardtailbike!
they are maid for 700c wheel use im disc MTBs
I think they are called speedcity or so

Eric W.

by Eric W.

When it comes to high quality rims that are durable and leightweight you should take a look at Velocity Aerohead (www.velocityusa.com). Around 400g each.

Spokes DT if you want to save some cash, otherwise Sapim CX Ray. Brass nipples for sure.

Would agree with Florian on the DT Hubs.

teutscher

by teutscher

Florian wrote:...
And go for brass nipples: while braking the forces are already high on 26" wheels and they increase once more at 28"

why that?

28" with road tyres are sometimes even smaller than 26" with knobby mtb tyres but mostly they're allmost the same size; thus the ratio between disk size and wheel size won't change much. furthermore, i'm just guessing, a road tyre can't apply as much braking force to the ground as wide mtb can. so i don't see why there should be more stress through braking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com