Copy/Fake? Tune AC16/17 skewers on eBay

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
dannymelancholy

by dannymelancholy

Hi

Sorry, I dont speak German so I may be wrong but are these fake/copy Tune AC16/17 skewers?

Isnt "Konstruktion und Finish ähnlich den Tune AC 16/17" effectively "contructon and finish the same/similar as Tune AC 16/17", or is that just a bad translation?

If Im right, has anyone any experience of these skewers? Is this legal ie copyright/patent?

Thanks!
---------------------
Taking the path of least resistance...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

collideous

by collideous

The auction says that they're similar to Tune skewers. So they're not Tune, they just look like them.
blogging at 29in.ch

dannymelancholy

by dannymelancholy

I bought a set of these skewers out of curiosity. I just weighed them :¬(

Fr - 32.65g
Rr - 34.85g

Ttl - 67.5g

They claimed 58g the pair in the advert, unless that was for road, but I dont see an additional 9.5 g for an extra 10mm of axel width! They are well finished but the travel is only about 1-1.25mm, where in a pair of XT, for example, the travel is about 2mm. I dont know the clamping pressure as I dont have the tools to measure this but given they have less travel than other skewers surely this means less clamping pressure? Ultimately, would you really want to trust a pair of unproven skewers; I dont!

Anyone else bought a set and have a different experience or do you all have too much sense (and money!) ? :¬)

Laterz.
---------------------

dannymelancholy

by dannymelancholy

Just bought a genuine set of Tune and the travel is only about 1.3 - 1.5mm, so maybe Im talking cr*p about travel and clamping pressure?

The eBay seller (bike'hardest) was happy to refund them so I sent them back before trying them but if you're looking for a cheap(er) set of skewers then these may be OK, although I still wouldnt want to be their test subject!
---------------------