My Tarmac Dark

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Tippster

by Tippster

Lovely looking bike you have there...

not sure what type of riding you are doing, but would really change the look of the bike to have a deep rim wheelset on that stealth beast!
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ferrarista

by ferrarista

ProTech wrote:[
Thank you all for the compliments :)

The Zerts inserts are bloody hard to get out by hand. If you look carefully on the inside of the seat stay there is a slit in them small enough to insert a Michelin tire lever.
They are slid into place at the factory using some sort of silicone grease, so find the spot where there is a little bit extra and insert the tire lever there, then wiggle it to make an air gap between the inset an seat stay ,keep going until the insert is not stuck too much. Only then can you try to push them out starting at the loose sport using the tire lever from the inside.
They do seem to come out a bit easier pushing out from the bottom pointy end.

thanks for the compliments on my bike. Its nothing too exotic but the way its setup now it rides fantastic. I think the biggest improvement was from the fork. The stock one was less stiff. I'm thinking of repainting the frame this winter too.

I tried taking off the inserts today and it worked. I pushed the inserts from the inside with the pointy bit of my scissors and they came off quite easily. Once some of the zertz came out on the outside I proceded by hand to pull them off. I find it looks much better now since the zertz were kinda getting yellowish in color. I weighed the zerts on my electronic scale and came out to 19 grams so thats cool. thanks for the tips.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Very nice bike Protech! One small question though. Looks like you made some modifications to your seatpost "clamp". I know its not one to be called "conventional" but can you tell me if you made any adjustments to the 2 triangle wedges on the inside of the clamp that keep the seatpost in place? I think there may be some significant grams to be shaved if one can devise a carbon/light aluminium version of the wedges...
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ProTech

by ProTech

Yes the Specialized Aerotech seat post binder was extensively modified.

Unfortunately I have no pictures of the mods, I will try taking some soon .

I started with an S-Works level assembly with the carbon top plate and machined out wedges, complete system was 45 grams (if memory serves me right) and finished tuned binder was 30grams

What I did :
-Shave the upper carbon plate flat ,then re-finish with wet sand #1000 then #2000 grit to a smooth finish and then clear coat it (much like the frame is).
Drill out the both wedges and finish hollowing the sides and underside of the lower one with a dremel .
-Aquired a M6 X55 dome head Ti bolt from Tastynut /Pro-bolt and got the dome head shaved down 1.5mm from ~15mm stock to better fit the width of the upper carbon plate.

Seems like a lot of work for only 15 grams but I find the aesthetic of it are much improved .

ProTech

by ProTech

As promised the pics of the binder :

This stock Tarmac unit got it's lower wedge machined saved ~1 gram

The tuned S-works Aerotec seat post clamp

Hope these pictures can be helpfullfor you jimaizumi.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

thats a heck of a job you did on the seat clamp! I wonder if you can manage to machine the wedges even shorter w/o sacrificing the integrity? Once again, great job!
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ProTech

by ProTech

Here's a few more pictures,better late than never I guess...

A fellow employee at the shop took them the first day the bike was out in the spring. It still had the Cane Creek BRS 200 SL brakes... I had no idea he took these !

The aspect ratio are a bit screwed up due to resize,the originals are massive !

Here's one I forgot to show

All that bright sun is making me dream of summer :)

STARNUT

by STARNUT

Best looking of the breed I've seen. Looks like the work and the fumes paid off :D .

Your taste in bikes is almost as good as your taste in beer :lol: Leffe is good stuff.

Starnut
"Don't pedal harder, pedal faster!"
Q-FACTOR IS A RED HERRING

BB30.COM