Stans Tubeless Rim 355g now available

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

What happened to the name the rim contest that Stan was running. After entries were do I never saw anything else posted on his web site.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

Xterra Racer wrote:What happened to the name the rim contest that Stan was running. After entries were do I never saw anything else posted on his web site.

No idea man, I couldn't even figure out what rim it was.
I was thinking it was Mavic something?
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Heard that the rim was at Stan's booth at interbike. Also heard that the rim does not have eyelets.

I don't know of anyone else out there doing rims now-a-days with out eyelets. There is a reason everyone else uses them....because if you don't use them your spokes have a tendency to just pull out.

Just beware if you order these things, you might want to check with him on it (especially because the sets start at over $500).

Joel

by Joel

The most rims use eyelets because you can use a higher spoke tension

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Got the info from Stan. Indeed the new rims will not have eyelets. His claim for the reason is to save 10 grams.

So all you wheel experts out there....what does this mean for performance. Joel pointed out that the use of eyelets allows for higher spoke tensions. How durable would these rims be without the eyelets. If I bought a set, would I be replacing spokes every other ride??

ger

by ger

If you dont have eyelets in the rim, you can not use alu nipples. (at least tht's what I have always heard). So that means +20 grams for brass nipples :roll:

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Stans new rim is using Aluminum nipples.

No offence Ger - but I'm looking for someone that knows wheel building rather than just quoting something that was heard through the grape vine.

Bottom line here folks....if these wheels are going to be hold up they will be 40 grams per wheel lighter than anything else out there. I really want to find out all the details.

polaris

by polaris

You probably wouldn't have too many problems with the wheels unless you're riding them very hard.

'Potentially' it could cause serious problems though, as the eyelets help spread the spoke tension evenly around the the hole in the rim. Without them not only do you break more spokes you also compromise the structural integrity of the rim.

....for 10g?
.....but it still has to work!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

So question of the day is can you retrofit a rim with eyelets??

The 10gram savings was Stan's only excuse not to use the eyelets. Seemed pretty lame to me.