name of a vo2 max testing method.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I'm currently writing a paper about training and I'm looking for a name of a vo2 max test that as done on a cycle. Maybe also some extra info on the test. Like how the test is done and the products used.

Who can help me?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spaniardclimber

by spaniardclimber

I think there is a test called 'ramp test' that can be done with a mask conected to a tube that measures your vo2 consumption and therefore your vo2 max.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Does this test increase the amount of watt you have to give in steps of for instance 10?

Does anyone know this "ramptest"?
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

xcfisher

by xcfisher

Yes, I have had the test done about 6 times in the past year or so. Basically you start out at 100w, and the operator increases your wattage on an ergometer by about 50w every 2 minutes until failure. You are wearing a nose clip, and an oxygen meter that is connected to a computer to calculate your vo2 max.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

ok, thanks!

JK

by JK

Frankie - B wrote:Does this test increase the amount of watt you have to give in steps of for instance 10?

Does anyone know this "ramptest"?

Yes, I know it. It is known in The Netherlands as a "Maximaaltest". The protocol (the increases in Watts and the timeframe) varies a lot. Also the test can be done with breath measurements trough a mask, or measuring lactate in the blood at each step (Blood taken from an ear or finger).

Most books on training (the serious ones...) discuss these kinds of tests. For instance, check out "The mountainbikers' training bible" by Joe Friel. You also might want to search in the trainings sections of www.cyclingnews.com and www.velonews.com.

marktickner

by marktickner

Trainsmart is a relitively new company but with years over 20 years of testing knowledge and facts and data.
Trainsmart is the only company that I know of that can actually bring the test to you in your own home.
Trainsmart uses new technology and the latest scientific research.

Using a book and crunching numbers based on age, formulas, tables is just pure guesswork. There are many ways to predict VO2 Max but only 1 actual way to be 100% accurate! Get a proper test done under laboratory conditions. This means wearing a mask during the test to analyse what you are breathing in and out and how much oxygen your body is using during the test!

www.Trainsmartuk.uk.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Sounds like this is your own company!

But thanks to all who gave me help. I finished the paper!

Thanks a lot!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marktickner

by marktickner

Whoops... the webpage should read... www.trainsmart.uk.com