New here...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Denniske1976

by Denniske1976

Hi there y'all,

I've been reading about here for some time now and I think it's time to introduce myself. My name is Dennis and I'm 30 years old. I live in Holland and just registered here. I'm a systems administrator, especially everything Terminal Server related (and of course e-mail etc etc etc).

This is the bike I currently use: a Scott Scale 20 '05.
http://www.en12-82.net/Images/scale20-2005.jpg

I bought this bike september 2005 and updated some bits... but of course I want it a bit lighter in the future (read: when I get some money haha).

FRAME: Scott Scale 20 (Medium)
FORK: Fox FX80 RL (stock)
WHEELS: DT 240S / DT Revolution / Mavic XC717 Disc
Q-RELEASE: some Woodman Titanium thingies, still 88gr per pair though :-P
TYRES: Michelin XCR Dry (but I also have a pair of Maxxis FlyWeight 330's)
PEDALS: Xpedo Ti/Ti (very nice pedals indeed!)
CRANK: Shimano XT (stock)
CASSETTE: Shimano 105 12-23
CHAIN: Shimano XT (stock)
FRONTDERAILLEUR: Shimano XT (stock)
REARDERAILLEUR: SRAM X.0 medium carbon cage
GRIPS: SRAM (you know, "to fill up the gripshift" thingies)
SHIFTERS: SRAM X.0 Gripshift
HEADSET: ehhh, integrated FSA?? (stock anywayz)
STEM: Ritchey WCS
HANDLEBARS: Scott Pilot (stock, but only 121grams)
SEATPOST: Scott stock as well
SEAT: Selle Italia SLR XP
BRAKES: Shimano XT Disc (also stock)

What I am planning on changing would be:
1. The cassette, maybe a DuraAce or lighter (I ride 11 or 12 - 23 on all my bikes).
2. The handlebar, for an Easton EA90 XC (99grams?).
3. The stem is being changed for a Syntace F-99.
4. The chain is going to be a KMC (that light one).

Well, and for the rest I am still thinking about what seatpost to use. Maybe also an Easton EA90 with a shim (that seems to be lighter than the Ritchey WCS carbon in 34.9). And I am also looking for a lighter discbrake, maybe Juicy 7 Carbon or are there any lighter ones?? So if anyone read this post this far and has any tips or comments (except that the picture might be to large, but I linked to my site... sorry for that), please let me know...

Oh yeah, and another bike I recently restored:

Just wanted to add this one too, because I LOVE vintage MTB's (more than the modern ones actually) :-)

Welcome to the forum. If images widths are kept to less than 1078 pixles it keeps the forum more readable. Thanks, Cyco
MUSCULAR BEAVER.... WHOOOOOOSSSHHH!!!
Hehehe, I said Beaver :-P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bighead

by bighead

Hello and welcome, it is good to have another Scale user on this forum.

I think if you use a shim with your seatpost it voids the warrenty of the frame. The Ritchey WCS came with my frame and I am happy with it so far. 34.9mm x 400mm came in at 225gr which is quite heavy, though it is 34.9! It looks really nice aswell. Another option to consider would be an AX lightness although I think it would cost considerably more.

Denniske1976

by Denniske1976

bighead wrote:Hello and welcome, it is good to have another Scale user on this forum.

I think if you use a shim with your seatpost it voids the warrenty of the frame. The Ritchey WCS came with my frame and I am happy with it so far. 34.9mm x 400mm came in at 225gr which is quite heavy, though it is 34.9! It looks really nice aswell. Another option to consider would be an AX lightness although I think it would cost considerably more.

Well, looked at that AX stuff... but the site states they only come in 27.2 and 31.6, so that would end up in using a shim as well.

Maybe I'll go for the WCS as well, 225gram in 400mm is on the heavy side, but I can cut it down since I ain't that big a dude :-) I cut my stock seatpost down to, but only got it from 320 to 275 grams (considering my length and the minimum insert needed).

Anywayz, thanx for the advice... the Scale is a great bike indeed. What I noticed when I first got it is that you just go a lot faster "all by itself" (compared to my old Specialized from '92). Just start pedaling and the speed comes by itself... well almost then, but I'm just a "hobby-biker" :-)
MUSCULAR BEAVER.... WHOOOOOOSSSHHH!!!
Hehehe, I said Beaver :-P