Time ASX Titan failure (Happened this morning!)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

So I was out on a ride this mornign with my fiance and a friend. Beautiful morning.... the ride was going great. We went fdown a fairly steep hill, and then started sprinting up the next one. About 3 pedal strokes out of the saddle I hear a lound *BANG* and I just about lost control of the bike. I thought I'd threw the chain.... but in fact THIS is what happened:

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/williamskb/image ... time_1.jpg

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/williamskb/image ... time_2.jpg

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/williamskb/image ... time_3.jpg

Needless to say.... not good! We were a few miles from the end of our ride too.... so I had to start hoofin it, while Robin rode home to get the car. My "get some miles in before work ride" turned out to be a little longer than initially expected :) Now I have to wait on Time to send a new one... ugh..... But, at least I didn't get hurt. I'm thankful this didn't happen in a race. That could have been messy. I'm still not really sure how I managed to keep the bike upright when it let go.... Maybe that MTB riding I've been doing has paid off a little :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DocRay
Banned

by DocRay

That's an amazing failure.

I'm getting less convinced about the suitability of carbon for all bike parts.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

DocRay wrote:That's an amazing failure.

I'm getting less convinced about the suitability of carbon for all bike parts.

It was crazy... all 5 just went at once.... *BANG*! No creaking before hand or anything. They were abotu 2 months old. I'm considering selling the new ones when they come in, and getting some Campy Record 07 cranks instead. After seeing the Chorus 07 cranks that I put on my fiance's bike.... I can't imaging they woudl EVER fail like this.

drjones96

by drjones96

Well we have seen several Stronglight Pulsions fail in nearly the exact same manner. The same company manufactures the Time cranks FWIW.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

drjones96 wrote:Well we have seen several Stronglight Pulsions fail in nearly the exact same manner. The same company manufactures the Time cranks FWIW.

I know... I've seen those same pics. I was hoping I'd have better luck I guess! I am not overly heavy, at 175 lbs. The cranks were not old either and I take very good care of my gear. Stuff just happens sometimes.... I guess.

Time101

by Time101

Its a shame to see this but once again this is a stronglight made product, there seems to be a few instances of failure from them recently, Im glad you were ok and you are getting a replacement, hopefully it wont take too long to get sorted out. I have also been thinking aout selling my pulsions and going for some record cranks, i love the pulsions but they seem to fragile.

Luc

by Luc

Hard to believe !!

Good to know you're safe....

:?
Pollice verso.

Balenaar

by Balenaar

Doesn't look so good ... :?
Time VXRS Ulteam

sharkman

by sharkman

I've got a stronglight pulsion laying on my desk with exactly the same damage......
I'm getting more and more convinced (third failing crankset in a short period) that the stronglight carbon products are unsafe and just not worth the money (stopped selling it some time ago.....)

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I must say that I still think carbon is totally unnecessary for cranks. Aluminum is much more appropriate in my mind. I know I am in a minority though.

drjones96

by drjones96

It's a great place to save weight but it comes at a price.

Hyde

by Hyde

Wow! Do you have pictures of the legs that did that damage :lol: . Actually glad to hear you didn't go down or get hurt! I wouldn't go so far as to say carbon is a bad crank material...until mine fail :wink: ... I think anything can be engineered properly to withstand a certain amout of stress. Good luck with getting your new cranks in a timely manner! May be worth buying a different set now & selling those when they arrive. Don't know what I'd do with a downed bike :cry:

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

drjones96 wrote:But I would say the spider should have alloy tabs.

Wow!

Yeah, I too would be very wary of full carbon tabs. Does anyone know if the 07 Record cranks have full carbon tabs?

Glad you are unhurt.

Steponas

by Steponas

XL_Carbon wrote:
drjones96 wrote:But I would say the spider should have alloy tabs.

Wow!

Yeah, I too would be very wary of full carbon tabs. Does anyone know if the 07 Record cranks have full carbon tabs?

Glad you are unhurt.

Good question , but I`m probably still going with Campa 07 , I`ll just never get out of the saddle :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com