Inner thigh rub (eating away at my shorts)

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spytech

by spytech

i have a problem that i just noticed, i have not tried to correct it yet, cause i wanted to ask what could be the problem and solution to this.

close to chamois area on my shorts their seems to be alot of rubbing on the nose of my seat area (only on my right side), its is eating my shorts :lol: it sounds funny but its not. i get excessive rubing on just one side. does anyone know how to solve this problem, and why it happens?

i did consider buying ax-lightness seat since it has a carbon (clear coat) smooth nose the rub would not hurt the pants :idea: :?: :idea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

danielgillett

by danielgillett

When I'm riding on the bunch rides - I notice that many people who are overweight/slow have really large "upper thighs", and they run on their seatpost.

Also - If you saddle is worn out or has a sharp point it may cause excess wear.

(I have 4-5% body fat, and I worn out 2 pairs of shorts that way; I have had no problem with my new saddle)

A carbon saddle will reduce the wear and tear as it is smooth, and it is curvaceous.

gentri

by gentri

i'm a weight weenie, this means not only my bike but me too. kidding aside, I angle my seat 15 degrees to one side. this also protects the family jewels during long rides on the aerobars.

spytech

by spytech

well, i have angled my seat a little to the left, but i have yet to ride it on a long trip notice the difference. i am 6 feet tall and 163 lbs. i dont have big thighs. changing my saddle is one thing i will do asap, i am currently using a selle italia slr.

thanks for the quick replies.

gentri

by gentri

i actually have several saddles but the ones i use on long rides are my aspide tri and flite titanium both of them are rounded instead of having a sharp corner like the regular aspide and slr, ax and other light saddles.
getting kindda late here, i can't think of any other saddle that i've used that has a less chance of irritating the inner thigh and light as well.

Tippster

by Tippster

Have you considered going to see an osteopath or chiropractor?

gentri

by gentri

your up early spytech. well, i'm still about to sleep.
have you tried the AX-Lightness Apollo? this might be your solution on your thigh rub. since your tall and light, i assume that you might not have much fat padding on your glutes so it might cause other concerns.

spytech

by spytech

Tippster wrote:Have you considered going to see an osteopath or chiropractor?

no i haven't, should i and why?

gentri wrote:your up early spytech. well, i'm still about to sleep.
have you tried the AX-Lightness Apollo? this might be your solution on your thigh rub. since your tall and light, i assume that you might not have much fat padding on your glutes so it might cause other concerns.

i have not gone to sleep yet, im a night person. i was thinking about the tune concorde seat also, any opinions?

what other concerns?

oh, i can adjust q factor on my look pedals, i was thinking this might help also?

Cyco

by Cyco

Have it checked that you are sitting straight on the saddle (hips square to the frame), and that your saddle is not twisted.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

homegrown

by homegrown

I've seen other people with SLRs that have similar rub. I have used both the SLR and Speedneedle with no problems, but I"ve seen people use electrical tape to cure the issue. Basically they wrapped it around the seat about .5 -1 inch back from the nose. I think it essentially smoothes the edges out and maybe angles the material downward a little so it doesnt catch your shorts.

spytech

by spytech

Cyco wrote:Have it checked that you are sitting straight on the saddle (hips square to the frame), and that your saddle is not twisted.

will do. this bothers me too much. i hate coming home to see my new shorts are wearing out.

homegrown wrote:I've seen other people with SLRs that have similar rub. I have used both the SLR and Speedneedle with no problems, but I"ve seen people use electrical tape to cure the issue. Basically they wrapped it around the seat about .5 -1 inch back from the nose. I think it essentially smoothes the edges out and maybe angles the material downward a little so it doesnt catch your shorts.

i thought about taping the seat. i see where the seats wearing out my pants, it is always wearing out the leather.

C-40

by C-40

Pearl shorts are made from a more durable fabric than Assos and I have found that part of the problem comes from the "silky" nature of Assos shorts- they simply are too fragile to resist that kind of friction.....

spytech

by spytech

i taped a smooth plastic on the side that was rubbing, and the seat does not eat away my shorts anymore. i guess i might upgrade to a half padded ax-lightness seat, or maybe the full carbon, i think they might both be better than my SLR.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com