What are athletes taking?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

spytech

by spytech

i found this about gene doping: "a biotechnology that today, in mice, produces creatures that are astonishing to look at. Some genetically engineered mice have had their muscle mass increased by as much as 300 percent."

"Biotech companies are already developing gene therapies to increase red blood cell production, which raises the amount of oxygen delivered to cells."

this is amazing? are people using this TODAY :?:

"Scientists, doctors and sporting officials are at odds over when – if at all -- we'll actually see healthy athletes using gene therapy to enhance their performance. Some say the idea of genetically altered athletes is pure science fiction, while others, like Dr. Garry Nolan of Stanford University School of Medicine, say there is no doubt it will happen -- soon."

what type of legal and illegal drugs are cyclist taking???
Attachments
Gene doping methods
Gene doping methods

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

I've read a couple articles lately on genetic doping. It's the cover story on Scientific American this month.

I think there's a lot of stuff being used under the surface, which is not the obvious stuff (EPO, etc). More interesting is what you can do when you combine stuff. I think there's a LOT of guys pumping freaky shit in their veins out there.

adama696

by adama696

Well, for sure they are taking EPO! :?
As for the others, I think thats still a big gamble to take.
A few lines down on the document you showed us, theres the risks associated at each type of gene therapy, and they sure look bad!

The full document can be seen here:
http://www.acfnewsource.org/news_partne ... oping.html

...and heres my first post, after a few months of lurking around here I am! 8)

Filipe_

Cyco

by Cyco

EPO was the drug of choice till the new tests came in, and now has to be used much more carfully. The other popular ones are the growth hormones, oftern taken as Colustrum (milk from the first 24-48 after birth), the cortico steroids (easy to get a script) and now the designer steroids- like THG (lots of wispers about these) and the "blood boosters" or fake hemoglobins.

The researh into genetic doping has been getting much better results since the first experments circa '98.
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Adri

by Adri

Belgian Christophe Brandt was set out of the Tour and put on non-active by his team (Lotto). There were traces of methadon in his urine after a doping control last Monday in the TDF. Now afaik methadon is only used as an heroin alternative and has no masking abilities. Seems kinda funny that drug was found in a riders urine.. any ideas?
Christophe said he didn't take any prescription drugs in the three weeks before the Tour, he has not been ill for weeks . He has an idea where the methadon comes from but wants to wait until after the counter-expertise. He did say something about certain products (energy bars?) that were provided to the riders that were going to be examined.
Auribus teneo lupum

Janman

by Janman

Pot Belge : i thought it was amfetamines , heroine , cocaine en methadon
Pedal it!

Adri

by Adri

Le Pot Belge, Yummie (hi Janman :wink: )
I don't think the Pot Belge is being used today, some of it's ingredients are far too easy to detect.
Auribus teneo lupum

Cyco

by Cyco

Adri wrote:I don't think the Pot Belge is being used today, some of it's ingredients are far too easy to detect.

The is no testing in the week after the post Worlds party...
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

Adri

by Adri

neither is there much riding
Auribus teneo lupum

bobalou

by bobalou

More bad news! If what he says is true.. that he took for the first time only 7 weeks ago, what a gamble with a really stellar career going on.

http://www.velonews.com/race/mtn/articles/6697.0.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com