Huh? T-Mobile still using Campa wheels???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CarbonSports

by CarbonSports

Samu Ilonen wrote:Is any pro using Lightweight disk?

Some Triathletes already do: Lothar Leder & Nicole, Stefan Holczner, Natasha Badman and a few others.

Robert Lechner (bronze medal 1000m track sprint in Seoul owned one, too)

The UCI Masters Worldchampion in TT ´03 also used a LW disk (forgot the name - sorry).

We have just made new -lighter and even stiffer disks- for Athens. 2 special versions for Walser Track frames will be used be 2 athletes there.

All in all the LW disk is underrepresented. Mr. Obermayer and Mr. Dierl had so much to do with the spoked wheels that they never were very happy when somebody ordered a disk. It always meant that they had to switch their machines and invest some extra time.

But I personally think that the LW disk has a very big potential. This year´s Eurobike in September we will be presenting an even stiffer disk sub 900 grams.

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

CarbonSports wrote:
Samu Ilonen wrote:Is any pro using Lightweight disk?

All in all the LW disk is underrepresented.

Yes I think so too..... it's so light and even quite cheap..... only the white color is not so pretty IMHO..... will we see a black one in 2005?

By the way I find it really cool te get info like this from the people who actually make WW stuff, like Carbonsports and Ted Ciamillo...... keep us informed please :D
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarbonSports

by CarbonSports

asphaltdude wrote:..... it's so light and even quite cheap

Hmmm...do we have to raise prices? I do not read the word "cheap" in this forum very often.... 8)

asphaltdude wrote:..... only the white color is not so pretty IMHO..... will we see a black one in 2005?

The LW disk is one of the very few disks with a paint on it on the market. Most disks are black (carbon) because they are made from exactly this.

Some amongst you might already know that we use a very unique technique to build the disks. The LW disk is a carbon sandwich where carbon rowings are wrapped around a foam core. Only the lines of stress are from Carbon, not the rest. This makes it so light. (sorry, my English may not be good enough for a perfect explanation...).

The foam is white, the rowings are black. The white paint never really could hide that a LW disk in "natural" looks like a spoked wheel (you may look at some pics).

AND: The paint adds weight and is really useless for the performance of the disk.

Conclusion: We will not paint the disks in the future. It saves some significant weight and lacks no function. LW disks will be looking absolutely unique: Black "spokes" on a white background.

If you search for "nice" carbon weave looks, you´ll have to buy something else in the future. :)

asphaltdude wrote:By the way I find it really cool te get info like this from the people who actually make WW stuff, like Carbonsports and Ted Ciamillo...... keep us informed please :D

I will do as long as you people want me to. I also will try to give information without advertising our products............... If you let me.............

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Cabonsports - if you have time, can you explain the carbon rowing in the disc wheel? I guess I don't understand what it is.....when I look at pics of the disc it looks like they are spokes, but if I understand you right they are something different.

Thank for your input on this forum...I for one appreciate having you involved.

CarbonSports

by CarbonSports

Xterra Racer wrote:Cabonsports - if you have time, can you explain the carbon rowing in the disc wheel?

As I said: My English is not good enough to fully explain. Maybe somebody can help me????

Look here for the English translation of the disk wheel technology on our homepage (The guy who translated is better than me :shock: ) http://www.carbonsports.de/English/Prod ... enrad.html

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Okay....I hadn't seen the tech info on the website. This makes sense to me know.

Very cool!!

MiNtzNUrMth

by MiNtzNUrMth

I tried to find a price on the disk but couldnt. does anyone know how much they cost?

cadence90

by cadence90

Carbonsports: the description of the carbon fiber thread pattern on your website is very interesting. It looks like an expanded "diamond" mesh oriented from the hub to the rim. And it is very beautiful, elegant and logical.
I think it is 72 "spokes". My question is: how did you develop the actual pattern and the dimensions, spacing, quantity, and number of crossing points of the "spokes" or rays? Was it developed in a computer model, or by physical models/experimenting/testing, or because of the availability of a particular mesh? Thank you.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

CarbonSports

by CarbonSports

cadence90 wrote:I think it is 72 "spokes". My question is: how did you develop the actual pattern and the dimensions, spacing, quantity, and number of crossing points of the "spokes" or rays? Was it developed in a computer model, or by physical models/experimenting/testing, or because of the availability of a particular mesh? Thank you.

The LW disk was the first LW wheel ever developed. The very first disks were built early 1990. Mr. Obermayer used to make diskwheels for sulkys and that´s where he got the idea to transfer the knowledge to disks for cycles.
I will have to count the number of rowings, but I can tell you already that there are twice as much "rays" on the power transmission side of the disk.

The development was made by Mr. Obermayer using only his common sense and experience. If you´d ever seen the place where Dierl & Obermayer worked, you would never have asked if they used a computer :)

We use no mesh to produce the disk. We have a pattern how the rowings have to be wrapped. The pattern is transfered to the core foam. Then somebody wraps a single rowing around the foam in this pattern. Using epoxy and vacuum then makes one side of the disk.

cadence90

by cadence90

Thank you for your reply. When I wrote "mesh" I did not mean a typical carbon mat; I meant if the "rays" or rowings are all pre-woven and pre-connected to form the circle of expanded diamonds, and then applied as a whole to the foam core. It is interesting that the rowings are individually laid instead.
I have never been to Lightweight or CarbonSports. It makes sense that the wheels were developed by Mr. Obermayer using his experience; I thought perhaps that when CarbonSports became involved, that besides the famous oven, computers might also be used.
In any case, certainly the design looks very interesting and natural. I look forward to seeing the new "unpainted" wheels. :)
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

HakeemT

by HakeemT

CarbonSports wrote:There was no ADA wheel used in the complete TdF 2004 and -as far as I know- not in the last few years.

Didn't Jalabert use ADA's in the 2002 Tour? Every time he went uphill you could see him open (there must be a better word for it :? ) his brakes.
And I thought Virenque used them too that year.

edit: added pics

Joel

by Joel

Lightweights with an ADA sticker :lol: I guess these are ADAS 8)

divve

by divve

HakeemT, a little off topic. I just visited your Le Garage website and saw a Taxc Cycle Motion stand. Could you tell me whether the BB support is made from some sort of softer rubber or is it hard slippery plastic? Thanks.

HakeemT

by HakeemT

Divve, the BB support is made out of plastic and it is shaped so that the bb fits in nicely. It's not as soft as rubber but it doesn't damage the frame, and the frame only moves a bit when you swing the crankarms really hard (and why would you wanna do that :) ). All in all I think it's a great stand and I really love how you can mount the frame with front or rear fork.

CarbonSports

by CarbonSports

HakeemT wrote:
CarbonSports wrote:There was no ADA wheel used in the complete TdF 2004 and -as far as I know- not in the last few years.

Didn't Jalabert use ADA's in the 2002 Tour? Every time he went uphill you could see him open (there must be a better word for it :? ) his brakes.

You are right.

Florian already sent me a pm and corrected me. But I´m no expert in TdF history and that´s why I added "-as far as I know-"

OK, again: As far as I know, nobody at the TdF ever opened his brakes using Lightweights uphill.

Florian :?: :?: :?:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com