how bout my bike project?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dpakwv

by dpakwv

Hi all,
This is my first post, but I'm lurking around in this forum since last month... 8)
anyway I'd like some advice about makin a new bike.. budget doesn't count.. here it's my project.. I'm searchin for something competitive, lightweight, but also durable..

c4 vyrus/time vxrs/look kg486/scott cr1 ti/calfee tetra/colnago c50/Giant trc/billato competizione/pegoretti marcelo... don know what's better for carbon..
then also steel attracts me.. wht do u think?better steel or carbon?? I read carbon is too stiff, and it doesn't damp vibrations.. so for long trips it's not the best.

giant/easton ec90 slx/look hsc 4l/ pinarello onda, what do you think bout the last one??
selle sanmarco aspide fx replica peperoncino 130
deda elementi black stick mag 145 or schmolke??
extralite ultraclamp 9
chris king nothreadset 1-1/8” (nero) 98 is it the best??
deda elementi spadca
deda elementi carbon spacer
deda elementi mag 61 112 anythin better??
3t bio morphe 200 or schmolke
cinelli cork ribbon
cinelli spinaci light 190

fsa pro team issue triple 660
soul kozak bottom bracket for campa 135 or fsa one?? are soul kozak very fragile?

campagnolo record tripla derailleur 94
campagnolo record ud 10s titanio 156 are tiso better?
campagnolo record 10s medio 193 (thought tiso is too fragile?? is it true?)

wipperman record c10 ultra 259 (read campagnolo is fragile)
deda elementi dog fang

ax lightness front brake 68
ax lightness rear brake 59
zipp brake blocks
campagnolo ergopower record 10s 324
zipp z3 1065
arezipp wheels solid?? it doesn't seem so

controltech race skewers 47

soul kozak road hub 55
soul kozak road freehub for campa 168

soul kozak or even extralite only if they've got ceramic bearings

tufo elite road 310

look keo 190
lust shoes (are em comfortable and stiff?? if not so i'd take sidi ergo 1 carbon

helmet selev alien 210

campagnolo record, portaborraccia 18

cat-eye hl-el400
cat-eye tl-ld100
specialized 04 turbo pro (what do you think bout it?? is it better vetta

bye.. hope you give me some advice
:D :wink:

Delpi

by Delpi

My opinion:
budget doesn't count

:shock:

Frame (for race) : Scott CR1 (simply the best)

Fork: Stork Stiletto Light (2004 Aramide version) with Aero Cover
(now I use this fork with my CR1)

Stem: Syntace F99/254 with Ti-Bolts (mag 61 really sucks)

Bar: Schmolke ( :?: but I don't know if you can use the spinaci)

Crankset
fsa pro team issue triple 660

:idea: I prefer Compact Crankset ISIS (34-50)

Bottom Bracket
Zero Scandium ISIS 115g

Cassette:
Campagnolo 10s titanio 12-25

Brakes: OK 8)
ax lightness front brake 68
ax lightness rear brake 59

Whells: :idea: 2 whellsets
RACE: Lightweights 8)
Training: Standard wheelset / Mavic Ksyrium

Ergopower, Front&Read Derailleur, Cassette, Chain: Campagnolo Record 10S

Cables: Metawire
Ciao Zauri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dpakwv

by dpakwv

Hi, thx for reply.

I heard scott frame's got a plush riding.. then how do u find billato's and calfee??

i'd like to know some opinions about pinarello onda fork.. i love the design and I think it's very comfortable :oops: .. i would sacrifice 85 grams for it..

i totally agree with the cabling 8)
for the stem i changed to extralite the stem UL

would you exclude zipp wheels? why? high profile wheels like lightweight are unstable in descents :cry: .

anyway i'd like also opinions bout chris king, tiso parts, lust shoes and soul kozak.. and also bout lighning and computer system...

ah, can you give me a link to the zero BB :lol: ?

Delpi

by Delpi

I have used these frames: :lol:
Scott CR1
890g (L=56cm)
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ott_2a.jpg

Calfee Tetra Pro
1252g (58cm)
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... fee_1a.jpg

Litespeed Ultimate
1560g (57cm)
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... ight=delpi

Scapin Eos Pro Team (Columbus Foco)
1550g (57cm)

The Calfee Tetra Pro is a good frame but i have had same problems (vibration). In my opinionit's not the best for long trips ( 150 Km)

The Scapin is a great frame for the long travels/races but it has not a great stiffness.

The litespeed Ultimate is the " worst " :cry: . Too stiffer!!! The best for Time Trial and criterium. (50-60km race)

would you exclude zipp wheels? why? high profile wheels like lightweight are unstable in descents .

The lighweight whells are my dream...
The Z3 are a good product but they haven't a great braking performance.
The corima's rims (MY OPINION) have a better stopping power and stiffness but the rims are more heavy.
For example:
Corima Winium (rim) 300g
Zipp 250 (rim) 250g
You can also use Corima/Zipp rims with Soul Kozak/Extralite hubs and CX-Ray. The total weight should be 1000g :shock:
NB too fragile?

controltech race skewers 47

Have you a immage/link?
Attachments
zerolite_bb_01.jpg
Ciao Zauri

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

Hey dpakwv............do you need the Zero BB in italian or english threading? I will have a NEW one for sale in a few days(when it arrives to me) if you are interested. Are you in the USA? IM if you like

gentri

by gentri

cyclemanpat wrote:Hey dpakwv............do you need the Zero BB in italian or english threading? I will have a NEW one for sale in a few days(when it arrives to me) if you are interested. Are you in the USA? IM if you like

ey, cyclemanpat. where can i get Zero BB's? I am interested in getting one. don't know which one of my bike gets it (english thread or italian), depending on the price.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

Genti.............PM me and we can talk about it. The one I will be selling is english threaded

dpakwv

by dpakwv

thank you for the offer cyclemanpat, I need italian treadin, but I think I'll buy bike parts this winter :cry: .. do you have a bike parts shop??
if so maybe I could take a look at your shop when i'll be searchin parts :wink: ... and if I can't find em in italy or europe...

then talkin again bout my bike 8)
I've chosen scott as frame
I think I'll get pinarello fork, the ego one, if I find it w/o the frame.. oor slx from easton

then maybe i'll get fir or x-treme wheels.. what do you think of them??

i'll get extralite hubs

and maybe tune skewers and seat clamp of the same color as the chris king... 8)

do you know ehn the zerolite site ll be up?? cos i'd like to have a deeper look at it..

ah, and what do you think of zerolite pedals??
Attachments
you just have to search for controltech with google..
you just have to search for controltech with google..
RACE_SKEWERS.jpg (8.85 KiB) Viewed 3715 times

Joel

by Joel

wheels: corima winium 24/28h, Sapim Laser, Extralite Ultrahubs 1100g with Zipp 250 1000g don't know about durabiltiy etc of Extralite hubs
FRM BB is also very good 145g

cadence90

by cadence90

Your parts list seems a bit unfocussed, sorry. Even if "budget doesn't count", the relationship of the parts does....An expensive bicycle is not necessarily a great bicycle.

1. People can help you better if you describe what type of riding the bike will be for, and also your own style and body type.
2. I believe for long rides titanium is as good or better than steel, or carbon.
3. I think you should be careful to mix forks/frames without knowing the various rakes + fork lengths relative to frame geometry and the ensuing effect on steering geometry and ride characteristics. That being said, the Time Millenium Stiff and AlphaQ Sub3 are also very good forks.
4. Some of these frames have integrated headsets only; in that case you must use Chris King "Perdido"; not the A-head.
5. The Deda Elementi Spadca; again, on some forks you might be better off using their own expander system. On an AlphaQ Sub3, I looked at using Modolo, Schmolke, UltraStar, etc. but the wall thickness on the steerer is very thin, and I ended up being more confident the aluminum sleeve was the best solution for durability, rigidity and peace of mind....
6. I am curious why you are considering using Cinelli Spinaci with a triple crankset. What is this bike for?
7. Are you sure the Record medium cage is best for the triple, rather than a long cage?
8. If you are big, or descending at speed, I would be careful of the AX-Lightness until the product has been tested (by others I mean :wink: ) regarding power and modulation...could be risky.
9. Campagnolo chains "fragile"? More than any other? :?
10. The brake blocks (not necessarily Zipp) will depend on the wheels you get.
11. The Control Tech skewers require an allen key, as you know. I see you are thinking now of tune. Also, there is Bold Precision or Heylight.
12. The Lust shoes are custom made (su misura) for each person, and they cost US$ 900: they better be comfortable and stiff!!!
13. I think there are quite a few better stems than the Deda mag...also it has a 10 degree angle: check your frame/fork geometry. But now you're looking at Extralite UL anyway.
14. How do you know that you need Italian threading if you do not have the frame yet? :?
15. The ZeroLite site updated???....who knows???http://www.zerolite.com/index.asp. But the products are available. The pedals are called AeroLite: some people like them, some people don't....http://www.aerolitepedals.com/home.htm
16. Peperoncino??? It might not match your frame/skewers/seatclamp/headset, be careful. :wink:

Delpi gave you some good advice, and Joel too: durability is important...good luck.
In Italy you can find good parts at ShockBike.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

gentri

by gentri

i guess cadence90 asked the questions i would also ask.

dpakwv, what do you ride right now? It would be helpful if you compare the geometry of your current bike to the bike that you plan to bike.

dpakwv

by dpakwv

Ok, sorry if I’ve appeared confused… :lol: thank you cadence90 for makin me see that I’m not so focussed on what I want to buy.

1 Well.. starting from me: I’m a 70-75kg rider, 1,85 tall.. I like climbing a little bit more than descending… anyway I like less flat roads..
Usually I have 120-150km rides but when I’ve got time I also go over.. sometimes I only ride for 50km.
2 For the bike, I’m searching for a bike and bike parts that: firstly are as much durable as possible, secondly as much performant as possible without givin away comfort, thirdly lightweight. :thumbup:
I’m also tryin, wheather possible, to take only italian or deutsch parts.
I’d like some advice to choose the frame. :lol:
3 For the forks, well, surely before I would look if it is possible to combine it with the frame.
I had a look at AlphaQ forks and I think there are many different sizes, so I can match it with almost any frame.. I’ll go for it or for easton slx (if it fits frame). Have they got maximum riders weight?
You said you’d prefer alu steerers, what about titanium ones?
4 I just had a superficial look at the frames, so by now I’d exclude the ones with integrated headset, I find myself better with non-integrated.
5 DE Spadca wasn’t cancelled from the doc I posted, I’m sorry.. :sorry: :mrgreen: Anyway thank you for advice on expander systems.. but I think you’re right in using non-carbon steerers.. As I said maybe I’ll go for a titanium one from AlphaQ..
6 Spinaci from Cinelli, I’d have em on the bike, because I’d use use them not only in flat roads, but even in descents, as I already do :mrgreen: .. then why triple and spinaci wouldn’t fit together? I’d put triple just to go even in 20-25% ascents. 8)
7 Again medium cage is a residue of old doc, quite surely I’d put a long one, even if I’m makin up my mind over it.
8 You missuggest ax lightness brakes? So which ones would you take? Zero gravity? CampY? :?:
9 Who said campagnolo chains are fragile?? I just think wippermann are less fragile.. if you suggest me campy, well, I’d maintain it.. :wink:
10 I know brake blocks have to fit rims. :thumbup:
11 I’m more over Tune ones.
12 I hope too LUST shoes are comf and stiff… :mrgreen: But now I’ve also seen SIDI ergo 1 carbon..
13 Yes I’m for Extralite
14 Made a mistake for threading, I thought was something other.. :oops:
15 I’ll search for opinions over them. The choice is among em, look keo and time rxs. You can help me.. :lol:
16 Why shouldn’t peperoncino match other parts of the bike?? Isn’t it an aspide fx just with different textile design???

Again thank you for advice :thanx: ; tomorrow I’ll edit my project.. please let me know your opinions

BYE
:waving:

cadence90

by cadence90

Hello dpakwv,
When you post a new list people can help you more.
I did not say alu or titanium steerer anywhere. I said that I thought a titanium frame (telaio) might be more comfortable and durable for long rides. In Italy there is Rewel, and Nevi, who make custom frames. Or maybe you can find a perfect Colnago Bititanio? 8)
If carbon, people on this forum like Scott Cr1, Giant Tcr (Advanced 8) ) or Storck C.09 or C1.1. Billato also make nice frames, I think?
The steerer (prolunga forcella) will certainly be carbon, with the fork. Most carbon forks (not all, though) do not have a real weight limit.
However, if you choose the lighter version (i.e. SLX instead of SL) it might be less stiff. At your weight of 70-75, any fork is probably OK. Why not Mizuno/Pesenti?

It would be nice to make an all-Italian bike: with the frame/Mizuno Pesenti/Campagnolo/Extralite/FRM/Tiso/Aken you have choices. Maybe the only parts not Italian would be the pedals....
On an integrated frameset, if the headset is not perfect, and there is wear or damage, the frame can be damaged. On a non-integrated, only the headset would be damaged (but Chris King is never damaged, if installed correctly :) ).
If you like the Spinaci, that's fine. If you buy a carbon handlebar, make sure it can take an aero bar clamped on. Or maybe the integrated bars, tipo Deda Synapsi or Roi Zefiro???
I just don't know the AX-Lightness, and I don't know if people have tried them yet. I have heard that Zero Gravity have trouble in the wet, descending, at speed. I would stay with Campagnolo or Aken.
Wippermann chain is also fine.
Tune skewers are fine.
The stem is OK. I like the stem to match the bar, if possible (but often does not!!).
Look Keo, Keywin, Time mag/ti or Speedplay X-1/Zero? Up to you. I guess there are no good Italian pedals, except Campagnolo?
Only because the peperoncino has lots of red, that's all...with the right frame it can look good, with a different frame maybe not, depends on the colors/design you choose.
Post you new list, and people will comment. Good luck. :)
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com