$5000 - what should I buy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mises

by mises

Got a job offer just before my employer goes belly up so I get to spend some money. Trouble is I don't really have any ideas. At a bit over 14 lbs my bike is already about as light as I can trust on 200km rides far from help so I think that leaves only another custom frame or another wheelset. Current wheels are zipp 280 rims, cxray spokes, american classic hubs. Any ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cadence90

by cadence90

A pair of Lightweights?
Or another bike (cyclocross, mtb)?
Or some really great furniture, books, whatever?
Or a cycling trip to Europe? Maybe Vuelta....
Or a good investment account, maybe high-risk, high-return?
Dang, I wish I were in your position.... :)
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

bobalou

by bobalou

A lifetime supply of GU?

yoko

by yoko

If your an athlete and your career is into cycling:

Buy the best bike you can with it.

If not and you're single:

Put it on your 401k or on ROTH IRA

If you're married and have kids:

Put it on their College Fund

... it's hard to get $5000. Don't waste it. (just my opinion)

spytech

by spytech

cadence90 wrote:A pair of Lightweights?
Or another bike (cyclocross, mtb)?
Or some really great furniture, books, whatever?
Or a cycling trip to Europe? Maybe Vuelta....
Or a good investment account, maybe high-risk, high-return?
Dang, I wish I were in your position.... :)

i second that, get a pair of lightweights (uphill only :idea: )

a cycling trip would also be nice, if you get furniture make sure you go light...lol ralph lauren has carbon fiber sofas.

401k would also be nice, but if you come across this type of money regularly then i would say its up in the air, im so into cycling now, that i would just buy the best bike that i could with $5k, but ultimately its up to you

i also wish i was in your position, $5000 is hard to come by. :roll:

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Leave the AC hubs alone.
What frame have you got currently?

C-40

by C-40

Put a portion into savings- how much dpends on your situation

Then I have an opinion that many of the riders here will not agree with because so much of the talk here is about "off-the-shelf" equipment-

Get measured by a true pro and have a custom frame made- The C-40 I ride was custom sized and it fits like a glove (not OJ's). Seven makes gorgeous Ti bikes that are pure custom. Who else will make a custom carbon frame. There is a limit in terms of how many wheel sets you can own.

rico

by rico

C-40 wrote:There is a limit in terms of how many wheel sets you can own.

Is there? :D

rico

Bruiser

by Bruiser

ROFL

mises

by mises

Wow, I am stunned at the conservatism of responses on a weight weenie forum.

I can only get health insurance through an employer and need it to cover my sky high medical bills so retirement is out of the question, and my wife took all the money and ran a few years ago anyway (her idea of an equitable split was 96/4).

I am thinking about a bike tour through the Dolimites next year but in my twisted accounting that comes out of a different pot of money so it doesn't effect my decision.

The current leader for what to do with the money is wheels. I am thinking of Soul-Kozak hubs, Zipp 250 rims, CX-Ray spokes, 20F, 24R laced 16 drive-8 non drive with a 32 hole rear hub. I have only 1 wheelset now and do like building wheels and am not that thrilled with the current AC rear hub on my wheels either.

My current frame is a Calfee custom Tetra Pro which I really like - I had the tubeset modified for greater stiffness plus assorted geometry changes. I just finished putting together a SS MTB so I already have all the bikes I would ever ride.

Other than the Corbusier lounge chair I got, furniture is just not that exciting and since my tastes are minimalist/modern classic it doesn't take much furniture.

nikh

by nikh

If I had $5K it would be spent on a bike frame from Vanilla Bicycles, if you can stand the wait that is.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

ks_rider

by ks_rider

Obviously, you have a bike. Go do a tour, like the Vuelta de Espana, coming up or a bike camp like Carmichael's or Dr Michele Ferrari's in October. Make a vacation out of it. If you race, then use that as a budget to make sure you can go do them. Use the money to take the bike on a vacation.

cadence90

by cadence90

mises wrote:Other than the Corbusier lounge chair I got, furniture is just not that exciting and since my tastes are minimalist/modern classic it doesn't take much furniture.

True, true, true. But, if dump the Corb and get a Poul Kjaerholm PK 24, you'd be more excited more minimal and about $5000 in the hole. :wink:

I think the trip is a good idea too, the Vuelta. Espana es mejor....

If you have only one wheelset, I'd say definitely wheels. Those you described or Lightweights or Spada/Corima....And a Poul Henningsen Artichoke Lamp....oh wait, you'll be in debt again! Darn, good minimalism is expensive!
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

C-40

by C-40

Thanks for turning us on to Vanilla- now that is steel craftsmanship.......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gentri

by gentri

Those Vanilla bikes just made my mouth water. Guess that'll be in my to buy list.