Armstrong and Simeoni

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ralphy-boy

by Ralphy-boy

A big "what the" is going on there with those 2, anybody know the full story?

cheers

Shimano 550 wheels............sorry Superlite this damm keyboard is playing up.

cheers

:lol:
Last edited by Ralphy-boy on Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph

"the older I get, the better I was"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C-40

by C-40

You got it WRONG Ralphy-me-boy
Simeoni not Simoni
read the following: http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/6654.0.html

Ralphy-boy

by Ralphy-boy

Whats in a spelling mistake, C40

cheers

:roll:
Ralph

"the older I get, the better I was"

gerry

by gerry

velonews says simeoni talked poorly against dr. ferrari about his involvement with drugs and athletes. la wasn't pleased with this and said that simeoni was a punk i guess. simeoni then filed a suit against la for soiling his name.

i hate to say this but it's like the lemond thing. a cyclist can't go against the peloton. he may love cycling more then anything and not like the way it's spinning down the toilet into the world of drugs so he stands up for the right thing and wham! the cycling world jumps on him because if you bring a guy like ferrari down others will follow and then people will see cycling has a larger then life problem with drugs.

what lance was doing was protecting the drug cheating system. if ferrari is innocent and cycling is clean then i guess that will be proven. or at least he should be afraid for it.

no it think this move was like a mofia boss trying to silence a stoolie.

i know blah blah blah. i just want everyone to know you won't have any problems from me. chich a port!

Weisse Luft

by Weisse Luft

Simeoni claims Dr. Ferrari instructed his patients (cyclists and other atheletes) how to use EPO without detection. In translation to English, it came out like Lance, who had seen the doctor, had been told how to do the same, implying Lance uses EPO. Lance called Simeoni a liar. Simeoni took offense to it and his lawyers, seeing a large payout, pushed Simeoni to file a lawsuit.

Mind you, this all transpired in the pages of Le Mond so we are dealing with three languages. Since Simeoni has been sanctioned for banned methods, he feels his now clean test results are in question.

How about all those in Le Mond who accuse Lance of being a dopa?

martin

by martin

For those german speaking people among us,

at
http://www.sueddeutsche.de/sport/weiter ... 269/35234/

you can read an interview with simeoni
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

martin

by martin

Weisse Luft wrote:Want to save a few grams? Leave the cap off your threadless stem

that is a very dangerous thing to do. There is a good reason why sports regulations require that all ends of tubes on handlebars, barends etc. need to be covered.

...unless you like those ring-shaped scars on your breast ;-)
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

Ralphy-boy wrote:Whats in a spelling mistake, C40

cheers

:roll:

HUGE difference

Simoni is another rider - it'll get folks confused with the Italian Giro-Italia rider from Saeco.

C-40

by C-40

I like Ralphy-me-boy's attitude......

Nonetheless, the NYTimes claims that Simeoni flat out accused LA of using drugs- So what was LA going to do???? Allow some 2nd rate rider to falsely accuse him??????? The suit is BS and will never produce an results.

cadence90

by cadence90

Sorry, I completely disagree on this one:
"2nd rate" riders are allowed their freedom to work too.
Whether or not the suit is "BS" and will "never produce results" is not for Armstrong himself to determine on the road to Lons-le-Saunier.

Simeoni did not accuse Armstrong specifically, but rather commented on experiences he claims to have had relative to Dr. Ferrari, doping, etc.
Armstrong then, in an Italian interview, called Simeoni a liar.
Simeoni then filed a lawsuit against Armstrong in Italy, for libel.
Overreaction? Perhaps. But that case and disagreement is in a court of law.

Yesterday, instead, Armstrong acted like a strongman bully, and used his power in the peloton to threaten and humiliate a fellow rider. It is unprecedented that a yellow jersey wearer chases down a guy in 114th position, talks to him, and tells him not to ride in a breakaway. No matter what Simeoni said, the TdF is not the appropriate "battleground" for Armstrong to engage any other rider in that manner.

If Armstrong disagrees with Simeoni, he should contest that in court, not on the roads of the Tour, denying another rider (relatively minor or not) the chance to ride his own race.

I found it arrogant, crass and stupefying behavior, not the behavior of a "champion".

"Protecting the interests of the peloton"? That is not Lance Armstrong's job, nor is it his anointed role, and certainly not at the expense of another rider, no matter what he thinks of himself, or how many riders he says/thinks "congratulated" him on his disgusting behavior. Does anyone really believe Pippo Simeoni can and will "destroy cycling"? This maneuver was not the enactment of a belief in "freedom of speech" or "freedom of opinion"; rather it was a demonstration of bully tactics by an arrogant and powerful personage. Many associations to this kind of behavior can be drawn, and none are good.

"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Villadsen

by Villadsen

Couldnt agree more with Cadence90.

This incidence just show what bad conscience LA has. Everytime somebody mentions LAs name and doping in the same sentence or book he sues them. And now when a small guy like Simeoni sues him then he has to do something as childish as this.

Lance is a doper. Ok, Lance, come on and sue me too.........

C-40

by C-40

From a naive point of view- Why can't the yellow jersey chase down a break? I have heard that Merckyx performed in a similar way. Hinault's comment about "no gifts" is in line- This incident was a show down about words and accusations fought out on the ROAD- and if people think that it is better to fight in courts with lawyers, etc, etc then I do not know what to say. Regardless of the truth or lack thereof of Simeoni statements, he is not well regarded by the peloton. To be sure, he would have lost the sprint anyways......... Finally, LA is not only the yellow jersey holder, he is the patron and through tradition "is" allowed to control such activities

gerry

by gerry

exactly! like the godfather.

ras11

by ras11

Modern society...

I feel bad for Seminonionieioie (sp), his life pretty much sucks. Everyone hates the dude, he can't keep his mouth shut, the law is running and ruining his life. He must be a proud or stupid man, cuz he keeps getting kicked in the teeth. Whether LA is doping or not... this guy suffers.

Big Tex has always been an poopy head. Put a 10 gallon hat on his head, tooth pick in his mouth, and a waft of cow poop on his plad shirt.. and you'd understand exactly who LA is. Hum... sound like another Texan... Bush Jr.. Starting battles that he has no right to... but only because he wields the power.

Confucius:
Absolute power corrupts, and corrupts absolutely.

Man if I had the power to do something I'd invest my money into education in texas. No offence to texans... those guys have some serious problems.
:-) Toys-R-Us

cadence90

by cadence90

"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com