Lance in '05

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

C-40

by C-40

So the rumor was made public in the New York Times, lance will not ride in '05. So is this why they want Levi back on the team? Well it would be interesting to see lance ride some other events, especially the Giro....

Ralphy-boy

by Ralphy-boy

Sad to hear that. Has anyone else noticed how he has become more relaxed in the past 2 years, just in front of the press ect, I think he has chilled out as he has nothing to prove now, where earlier there was a lot of pressure on him to win, and keep winning. Just my 2 cents

cheers
Ralph

"the older I get, the better I was"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

So the rumor was made public in the New York Times, lance will not ride in '05. So is this why they want Levi back on the team? Well it would be interesting to see lance ride some other events, especially the Giro....

You do know he is required by contract of the new Discovery Team to ride next years tour don't you? Unless he wants a big fine and the team to disolve he'll be riding in 05.

zoey

by zoey

Superlite wrote:You do know he is required by contract of the new Discovery Team to ride next years tour don't you? Unless he wants a big fine and the team to disolve he'll be riding in 05.

Where did you get this info?
Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

cadence90

by cadence90

He had already stated that he wanted to ride in '05, regardless of '04. And, perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't Ventoux planned for '05? You know he wants that....I remember that at the time of Pantani's funeral they brought up the old subject of the Ventoux stage, and Lance, in his inimitable way (a slightly strange brew of tact and arrogance) said something to this effect: "I'm glad Marco won that stage, he deserved it, and anyway I'm going to win there next year."

Lance Armstrong after Stage 18:
"It's a special race. It's everything. You can't have this intensity in any other event," he said. "I'll do it again before I stop."
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

tom2517

by tom2517

I have read bunch of articles regarding to this news and supposely, the contract requires the team to ride the TDF, but it's unclear whether or not it requires Lance to ride it.

Furthermore, I think someone quoted Lance saying he will do what the sponsor (Discovery) wants him to do and that he will have discussions with them.

But Lance had made it clear that he would like to do classics and the hour record, and even the Giro. So if he does that, especially the Giro, chances are he won't ride the tour because we all know Giro can burn you out and for a sixth time to be winner, why ride it if you are not in good shape to win it.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

USPS without LA could make for an exciting Tour.

The competition havn't tried to win this year. They're too busy fighting for 2nd.

USPS is a strong team, I'd like to watch them contend the tour without Lance.

C-40

by C-40

Tom got it right and once again Superlight, shooting his opinion with none of the facts has it wrong.

Maybe it will be Landis' year, whoever he is riding for.........

Superlite

by Superlite

Tom got it right and once again Superlight, shooting his opinion with none of the facts has it wrong

:lol:

nikh

by nikh

Lance has dominated this race again. Why would he not be back next year? After this years performance I think he will be back with the Discovery team.

On a side note, perhaps he wants to focus on other races before his career comes to an end?
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Adri

by Adri

Today during the Live broadcast on Sporza they said that Bruyneel had said that LA would definitely race next year. And since there is only one race that counts for Lance, that is as much as saying he will do the TdF next year.
Still, it's a full year to go, lots of things can happen between now and then.
Pity/shame he doesn't do the Olympics this year :evil:
Auribus teneo lupum