Tubulars and Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

willf03

by willf03

A while back, there were some guys on this forum talking about using tubular tires inside of clinchers as tubes. Theory would be that the ride would be better and, more importantly, you would never, ever get a flat. So I found me an old 21mm tubular and 28mm clincher and tried to make it work, but I couldn't get the clincher bead seated on the rim over the tubular. Is there some special techique I should know about? Or am I just wasting my time? Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

willf03 wrote:Or am I just wasting my time? Thanks

Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

there isn't any ride enhancements with this system, its just heavy as hell and pretty much totally resistant to flats. If you train on a wheel like that come race time your other wheels will feel super fast. I thnk you just need a narrower tubular, like a 20mm.

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

If you want flat protection for your training wheel I think you better use Specialized Armadillo tires or so, maybe with an extra anti-puncture strip between the tire and the tube.
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

Mr_Potatohead

by Mr_Potatohead

try Panaracer Flat Aways, made from ballistic Kevlar, much lighter than Mr. Tuffys and very, very tough. I have over a thousand miles on a set of tires with not one flat. The tread is sliced up from riding over glass and gravel but no penetrations.

I tried poking a barbeque fork through the stuff and I couldn't do it.