building a new bike...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pf4161

by pf4161

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum and I'm excited to see so many knowledgeable people talking about road bikes.
Anyway, I look for some suggestion from you guys in order to build a sub or close to sub-UCI light bike, I've narrowed down my choice to three brands and models: Time VXRS, Calfee Dragonfly, Look 486.
There are only three things that I want for sure: a clinchers' wheelset, Time MAG-TI pedals and Selle Italia SLR.
I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks for your help.
Paolo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Core 22

by Core 22

If you have really, really a lot of money: Scott Team Issue CR 1, Campagnolo Record, Mavic brakes, Lightweights, Tune Stem and Schmolke handlebar, Schmolke seat post, hmm did I forget an important component? :roll:

Oops, you want clinchers, hmm I would not choose a carbon rim, if you like more aerodynamic wheel sets you could try American Classic CR 420 rims, Tune hubs, Sapim CX-Ray or DT Aerolite Spokes. If you want a really lighweighted wheel set: maybe American Classic 350? they're really cheap and weigh under 1400g.

cadence90

by cadence90

:welcome:
Some choices will obviously depend on your own build + intended use.
The Calfee Tetra generally receives more favorable reviews than the Dragonfly. The Look 486 looks good to me. The Scott is always a candidate, as is Giant. If you do a search on this forum you'll find Scott v. Giant debated endlessly.
And then there is the Storck C1.1 or C0.9....http://www.storckusa.com/Welcome%20to%20Storck%20USA.htm
As far as clincher wheels the AC rims are seen well, their hubs much less so...personally I would recommend a Spada build (contact Mark: Spada-USA at earthlink dot net, also for Storck); Dave Thomas Speed Dream AeroLite or R359: http://www.speeddream.com/road.php;or Joe Young wheels: http://www.youngwheels.com/index.html.
This link will help you look at clincher wheel weights: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=550&highlight=production+clinchers
Campagnolo Record.
Bars, stem, post, seat, etc.: up to you.
1. Frame.
2. Wheels
3. Wheels
4. Wheels
5. Gruppo
6. Kit
Post a build list: you'll get feedback.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

spytech

by spytech

well, i would def. include scott cr1 team frame into the mix. i was at my local bike shop, and the frame is impressive, as is the bmc phonak team frame, that was built and sold today.

schmolke bars and seatpost, syntace f99 (some dont like the look, but its light and stiff for its weight), if you go with campy, i would say get carbon cranks (FSA they are just as stiff as the campy but cheaper), i would say stay away from the mavic brakes, either get ZG brakes or record if you use campy.

as for a wheelset, i would say get something custom-spada, new spada hub, and alex R1.0 rim w/cx-ray spokes, if you want aero rim; if not you can get stella spada hub with est 13 and 14 rims, save 90 grams but no aero profile on the rims.

Core 22

by Core 22

spytech wrote:well, i would def. include scott cr1 team frame into the mix. i was at my local bike shop, and the frame is impressive, as is the bmc phonak team frame, that was built and sold today.

schmolke bars and seatpost, syntace f99 (some dont like the look, but its light and stiff for its weight), if you go with campy, i would say get carbon cranks (FSA they are just as stiff as the campy but cheaper), i would say stay away from the mavic brakes, either get ZG brakes or record if you use campy.

as for a wheelset, i would say get something custom-spada, new spada hub, and alex R1.0 rim w/cx-ray spokes, if you want aero rim; if not you can get stella spada hub with est 13 and 14 rims, save 90 grams but no aero profile on the rims.

Why stay away from Mavic brakes? I think they're the best brakes on the market, much better than the campy brakes and only 20g heavier...

spytech

by spytech

Core 22 wrote:
spytech wrote:well, i would def. include scott cr1 team frame into the mix. i was at my local bike shop, and the frame is impressive, as is the bmc phonak team frame, that was built and sold today.

Why stay away from Mavic brakes? I think they're the best brakes on the market, much better than the campy brakes and only 20g heavier...

the person i ride with has them, he says the only reason he uses them is because they were free, if not he would not have them on. he has a different opinion says campy brakes are much better. but to each his own.

Core 22

by Core 22

spytech wrote:the person i ride with has them, he says the only reason he uses them is because they were free, if not he would not have them on. he has a different opinion says campy brakes are much better. but to each his own.

I've had never any problems with them, but you're right: to each hi own :D

OLver

by OLver

For your seatpost, stem, handlebar, seat clamp and quick release, have you look to www.extralite.com?

Joel

by Joel

Frame: Scott with Aero fork
Wheels: AmClassic 350 or Spada/Alex
Seat: SLR seatpost: Extralite The Post UL seatbinder: Extralite
Stem: Syntace Bar: Schmolke Headset: Campa/Extralite
Gruppo: Record BB/cranks: Record or FRM BB + FSA Brakes: Record or ZeroGravity
Pedals: Time

Smahatma

by Smahatma

Just a note if you are outside the EU:

Schmolke will not subtract the full 16% VAT for non-EU customers if you order direct from them, only a much smaller percentage. If you are trying to decide between posts, I would go with an AX-Lightness europa. Starbike for example sells this post and will subtract the full 16% VAT, so it will come out quite a bit cheaper than the schmolke. That's the reason I decided to go with the europa over the schmolke (and plus it matches the seat :))

Core 22

by Core 22

Inspite of the lower price I would choose the Schmolke seat post, the accuracy to size is much higher and the processing is much better...

Smahatma

by Smahatma

Core 22 wrote:Inspite of the lower price I would choose the Schmolke seat post, the accuracy to size is much higher and the processing is much better...

Interesting. Might you elaborate, please?

Core 22

by Core 22

I found a test of some seat post in a German bike magazin. The AX Lightness post is 20 Euro more expensive, has a little bit interference and is not exactly round...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com