Alpe d'Huez TT Tech Talk Topic

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tom2517

by tom2517

Maybe even with the bars Jan's bike still weights 6.8 kg. As I understand that now bikes can get so light some T-Mobile riders ride with SRM cranks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

the water point is moot as well, if you watched closely you would have noticed riders like basso jetisoning water throughout the stage (just squeezing it onto the road) why do you think that they wouldd do that if they didn't feel like the weight advantage was worth it?

simonali

by simonali

Bruiser wrote:looked a bit like an aero advantage.
I know that camelbacks are illegal due to their aero advantage :?

Aero advantage at 15mph?! :?

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

Maybe even with the bars Jan's bike still weights 6.8 kg

They said Jan's bike weight was 7.2kg - strange he had a heavier one.

Notice Lance only had one ring on the front (at least no shifter cable on the left)

pk0r

by pk0r

Lance used a double setup in the front.
But he (once again) hasn't been using the left STI unit, but a thumb shifter on the downtube.
Notice the front derailleur cable in the pic and Lance being on the small chainring.

[/img]
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

It's been said before, but why doesn't Lance use a lighter seatpin or something, and then use a front STI. Maybe it's just for show or a psychological advantage. Those Trek frames can't be all that light if this is the case.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

thanks for the correction. I just noticed no sti on the left. Unusual set up

BigFloppyLlama

by BigFloppyLlama

Mile Ditch wrote:It's been said before, but why doesn't Lance use a lighter seatpin or something, and then use a front STI. Maybe it's just for show or a psychological advantage. Those Trek frames can't be all that light if this is the case.

Why the brake at all? I doubt he was doing much braking today:D Isn't Lance known to go with what he knows and trusts, thus he uses the downtube shifter just because he's used to it?

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

nzkiwiguy wrote:thanks for the correction. I just noticed no sti on the left. Unusual set up

I think Alex Zulle started this, quite a few people have done this on their climbing bikes over the years. Ullrich used to do it too.

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

asphaltdude wrote:
divve wrote:...because weight isn't all that important. In real life conditions no one is going to loose time over a few hundred grams.

Rough calculation: every 100 grams cost 3 seconds.......

don't you think that calculation is rather simplistic?

not all savings in weight are equal

rotational weight saves more than static weight by quite a large margin - I'll rather have a bike that weights 8 kilos with sub 1kilo wheels than a bike at 6.8 with wheels over 1kilo.

Mile Ditch

by Mile Ditch

BigFloppyLlama wrote:Why the brake at all? I doubt he was doing much braking today:D Isn't Lance known to go with what he knows and trusts, thus he uses the downtube shifter just because he's used to it?

Unfortunately they have to have 2 brakes. Tom Danielson used only 1 on his hillclimb bike for some American race, not under UCI rules.

BigFloppyLlama

by BigFloppyLlama

Mile Ditch wrote:
BigFloppyLlama wrote:Why the brake at all? I doubt he was doing much braking today:D Isn't Lance known to go with what he knows and trusts, thus he uses the downtube shifter just because he's used to it?

Unfortunately they have to have 2 brakes. Tom Danielson used only 1 on his hillclimb bike for some American race, not under UCI rules.

Just tape the cable to the handlebar and yank on it when you need to:D Forgot about that rule though.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

to futher add to Mile's post - they have to have 2 working brakes.

BigFloppyLlama

by BigFloppyLlama

And to add to the downtube shifter thing, if the SLBS-78 downtube shifter he uses is set to friction, it could give him greater control over the front derailuer. Much more so than the trimming the STI levers use.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

Great photo of L'Alpe d'Huez from a satellite.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!