superlight...?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dan

by dan

I saw on your pics of your bike that you are running what looks to be the Nokon (nokian?) shift/brake housing. I know that the stuff is supposed to be lighter than standard housing, but I heard from a reliable source that the shift cables shifted like crap. I've seen that on Simoni's bikes Saeco is running these type of cables on the brakes but standard Campy cables for the shifters. How are your working?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jam23

by jam23

I have both on my bike, shifters needs more time to work well, you have to readjust them some times, the small aluminium pieces have to seat well ( I think that is the problem that have pros, no time to wait for a good seat of pieces) and you have to do it many times, after some readjusts they work fine.
Brakes work well, have the same problem but not so accentuated.
One thing more, they are from NOKON house.
www.nokon.de
Excuse my English, it is not my mother tongue.

Joel

by Joel

jam23 wrote:I have both on my bike, shifters needs more time to work well, you have to readjust them some times, the small aluminium pieces have to seat well ( I think that is the problem that have pros, no time to wait for a good seat of pieces) and you have to do it many times, after some readjusts thay work fine.
Brakes work well, have the same problem but not so accentuated.
One thing more, they are from NOKON house.
www.nokon.de

Do you use the black plastic between the inner cable and the housings?

jam23

by jam23

Yes, I have do it, thank you.

Joel

by Joel

jam23 wrote:Yes, I have do it, thank you.

and what about the Tune housings?

Florian
Site Admin

by Florian

Joel wrote:and what about the Tune housings?

They're out of production since nearly 2 years, because they didn't meet tune's expectations in terms of durability and stiffness.

jam23

by jam23

No news about them, now I´m watching they web page!!!!

Joel

by Joel

to dan: where have you found the pic of Simoni's bike?

dan

by dan

Thje picture I saw of Simoni's bike was from the Giro and was in an issue of the American-based magazine Bicycling, but I'm sure that you can find pics of the bike anywhere from the mountain stages of the giro. The bike is the polished one he rode in the mountain stages. Also of note, he runs a rear campy brake on the front due to the fact that its a little lighter on that same bike.

Superlite

by Superlite

THEY WORK GREAT! Unless... you dont lube the housing on the actual links. Every month or so I work some grease onto the houseing. You'll know it's time to grease them because the cable will start to squeek like CRAZY! By the way, mine are IRD Metawire, not nokon cables, but the same thing.

by Guest

How much grams would it save to change Campagnolo ordinary brake housings into Nokon housings per bike. I should still run the Campy shift housings

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I dunno who asked, but there is a pic of gilberto simoni running nokon cables on the brake on the home page of the cannondale site, www.cannondale.com

Joel

by Joel

520 Dan wrote:I dunno who asked, but there is a pic of gilberto simoni running nokon cables on the brake on the home page of the cannondale site, www.cannondale.com

His shift housing are quite short :idea:

Superlite

by Superlite

Of course they are, the nokon system allows you to run very short cables, they work better the shorter they are.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

His shift housings aren't Nokon, they're yellow(?), his brake housing is Nokon, or similar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com