Moots - currently in a transitional state

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Registered Executioner

by Registered Executioner

The Moots has taken a turn towards the hefty side (+150g) while the carbon cranks are being replaced and the Crumpton UL is being built.

Also stripped the decals so I can play with paint options for the Crumpton.

Doesn't even qualify as a WW bike... for now... the buildlist is as follows:
- Moots Vamoots
- Reynolds Ozo Pro fork
- Chris King Headset
- Ritchey WCS steam
- FSA K-Wing bars
- Moots Layback seatpost
- AX Lightness endurance saddle
- Arundel carbon cages
- Campy record gruppo with compact carbon cranks +++ Broken - had to revert to alloy cranks while the warrenty is sorted out.
- Zero-G Ti Brakes
- Reynolds Stratus Clincher wheelset
- Salsa Ti skewers
- Continental GP4000 tires
- Ergomo Pro power meter (new bracket!)
- Speedplay zero-steel pedales +++ standing in for the Ti set that was still attached to the crankset that went back.

New picture:
Last edited by Registered Executioner on Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

Very clean & very sweet. Congrats on a great looking ti bike!

They sure need to slim down that Ergomo headunit though!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

pritchet74 wrote:Very clean & very sweet. Congrats on a great looking ti bike!

They sure need to slim down that Ergomo headunit though!

The new ones has a much lower mounting bracket.
In our shop we have had a metalworker bend a piece of aluminium to mount the head unit on, instead of the original plastic horror. Then it sits almost as a SRM unit. Much better looking.

But a very nice and classic bike. Not sure about the red tires, but it freshens the bike somewhat up, so maybe...

alienator

by alienator

Very nice. If it were mine, though, I'd peel the Moots stickers off the seatpost, 'cuz that's what I did with the one that is actually mine.

Tristan

by Tristan

I wish people would stop posting pictures of their beautiful titanium bikes. It makes me feel inadequate.

Just kidding. Gorgeous bike, very clean, very sexy...well done!!

ViperZ

by ViperZ

Wow, I can't believe you jammed that beautiful bike with the lovely carbon wheels into the gravel like that..... :sick:

It's making me clench,

Nice photo and bike though :D

Registered Executioner

on the ergomo headunit:
- Mine is new as of May this year so it should be the new bracket. Still, I agree that the unit is a bit large. The main difference I’ve noticed compared to the SRM is that it sits higher up. The SRM has a larger ‘footprint’ where as the ergomo has greater 'stack height.' Do note, however, that the picture is taken from a low camera angle which emphasizes the height of the ergomo.

On the moots seatpost:
- I just got the seatpost last week so haven’t decided on whether to keep the sticker. The frame has silver decals that I like quite a bit whereas the seatpost has the white logo. I’m inclined to agree with you, alienator, that the seatpost would look better sans decal. Also I just slapped on the black electricians’ tape to mark my saddle height – from an aesthetic standpoint this detracts from the cleanliness of the seat-tube to seatpost transition so I expect to remove this once I’m comfortable with the seat hight.

On the red tires:
- I’ve been playing with the color choice – the careful eye would notice a bias towards a silver/red color preference with the tire & skewer choice. As tires and skewers represent among the easiest components to switch out, I feel that the current color palette is an easy decision to reconsider in the future.

On the bike ‘jammed into the gravel’
- This was the first time I photographed my bike and I was trying to avoid the cliché of leaning it against the garage door so thought I try something I hadn’t seen before. As I’ve indicated in previous posts, I ride my carbon wheels in all conditions so the ‘crushed marble’ in my back yard was as valid a surface as any for the photograph.

Lastly,
Thanks for all your posts, this bike has been a labor of love of mine for the past two years and I consider the weightweenies forum the most critical venue for posting the buildsheet.

bike bling

by bike bling

What can I say?

Hot :thumbup: Hott! Hottt!!!!!

alienator

by alienator

Registered Executioner wrote:On the moots seatpost:
- I just got the seatpost last week so haven’t decided on whether to keep the sticker. The frame has silver decals that I like quite a bit whereas the seatpost has the white logo. I’m inclined to agree with you, alienator, that the seatpost would look better sans decal. Also I just slapped on the black electricians’ tape to mark my saddle height – from an aesthetic standpoint this detracts from the cleanliness of the seat-tube to seatpost transition so I expect to remove this once I’m comfortable with the seat hight.

How gauche. I've used Sharpies and and the point on an expensive drafting compass to mark my SP height. I might use a crayon if I ever change the height again.

Registered Executioner wrote:On the red tires:
- I’ve been playing with the color choice – the careful eye would notice a bias towards a silver/red color preference with the tire & skewer choice. As tires and skewers represent among the easiest components to switch out, I feel that the current color palette is an easy decision to reconsider in the future.

You have to remember what Confucius said: "The only good tire is a black tire. Anything else will totally f*ck up your chakras."

Registered Executioner

alienator wrote:On the moots seatpost:
How gauche. I've used Sharpies and and the point on an expensive drafting compass to mark my SP height. I might use a crayon if I ever change the height again."

Good call - a sharpie it is (I've even got a silver one) until I find an expensive drafting compass.

alienator wrote:You have to remember what Confucius said: "The only good tire is a black tire. Anything else will totally f*ck up your chakras."

hmm... I thought that quote was from the Aryans Vedas, not Confucius. :wink:

kleiner

by kleiner

I like this one - how did you manage to fit the ax saddle rails into the moots seatpost?

Remdog

by Remdog

Damn you! :x Now I NEED another Moots. :shock: :shock:
Pinarello Prince
Look 386i
Moots Smoothie
Triumph Daytona 600

Registered Executioner

kleiner wrote:I like this one - how did you manage to fit the ax saddle rails into the moots seatpost?

It took 4 people to put the saddle on that seatpost: one holding the seatpost, one forcing the seatpost head open, one positioning the saddle, and one inserting the top-half of the upper-rail clamp.

wana be like jan

by wana be like jan

finally! a decent ride, that is nice, very nice, i love it
im too poor to be on this forum

leave

by leave

i lost 21 grams by removing the tacky stickers on my dv uls

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com