Build my walser TT bike. (pictures on page 9)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

KF

by KF

Great pictures of a great looking bike.

Quite a bit of $$$ you've put into that one. I hope it rides as well as it looks :D But I think it does, never heard anything bad about Mr. Walsers products.

Hope that I one day can afford one of his dreamframes.

Are you sticking with the dual Xentis or do you have a disc in mind? I think a disc would look really cool on that bike.
- G. Digital K. Loco

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Is it a 1" fork you have on your Walser bike ?
See all my bike h e r e

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

equinox13

by equinox13

Kuiper: The first six picutures are still not working for me. I have tried 3 different browsers on two different computers (apple and windows) and they still do not come up. If you could e-mail to me then that would be good, problem solved!

Rob

jeffr

by jeffr

Some of the permissions on the big pictures were wrong. I fixed that. You should be able to click on all of them now. Thanks for letting me now.

hooker_elite: I live in fremont. I'm desperately looking for a place where I can ride this thing at full speed without feeling like I'm going to run into cars, people, stop lights, etc. I've been riding it down lk wash blvd but it's pretty scary at speed! Let me know if you have any tips.

equinox13: The cranks are srm professional on a square taper bb. Walser can supply a square taper axle. The chainline isn't perfect with them but it works.

fffastfaz: I'll shave them for the next racing season. I won't get to wear all black for races either. :-/

KF: A disc would definitely look cool but walser said at less than 50km/hr it isn't any better than the xentis and just adds problems with side wind. I may get a disc as a backup wheel in case I flat and so I can get some experience riding with a disc. I have never used one before.

Tillquist: Yes, walser uses a 1" steerer. He tries to get the bike as narrow as possible.

Again, thank you all for the nice words. I feel very fortunate to have this bike. I hope to do many TT races next year and do not want it to be just a show piece. Although two funny things have happened while riding it:

Yesterday while riding by a big crowd of people on the way to some flat road someone shouted "Walser! It's a f**king walser!' at me. And the day before a truck pulled over in front of me, and the man inside pointed and shouted "What are you riding!?" and then demanded I give him the web address. Really incredible! I'm actually somewhat uncomfortable with strangers commenting on my expensive things, although the internet and this forum obviously is an exception.

Kuiper

by Kuiper

Walser is a very exclusive bike/frame ;-) that you won't see very often even in europe, it will really put you in the picture like lightweights how are you thought's by the way about Lightweight maybe a custom disc as rear?

you must be the king of the road right now, so I think it's not wierd that they're shouting

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

"not often seen in Europe"

I dont think they're often seen anywhere...but they're fantastic bikes :)

lindsay

by lindsay

Skillgannon wrote:"not often seen in Europe"

I dont think they're often seen anywhere...but they're fantastic bikes :)

Don't forget, most of the time these bikes sail under foreign flags.
Attachments
TRI_Zurich-01072006-190 LC.JPG
Bianchi DSC 157-18.JPG
PICT6738.JPG

KF

by KF

jeffr wrote:
KF: A disc would definitely look cool but walser said at less than 50km/hr it isn't any better than the xentis and just adds problems with side wind. I may get a disc as a backup wheel in case I flat and so I can get some experience riding with a disc. I have never used one before.

I'd go for the disc wheel.

I have a disc and a set of H3s. I thought about the crosswind factor, but I couldn't feel a difference in those two combos. I know that an H3 is not quite the same as a Xentis, but you get the idea.

I ended up selling my H3, because I didn't think that there was a difference. We're all different, and me being a heavy rider certainly has a lot to say in that matter. But I would recommend a disc based on own experiences.

The most critical in my mind is the front wheel in cross winds, your weight should be able to keep the bike on the road on a windy day.

Just my 2 cents... 8)
- G. Digital K. Loco

Boonen

by Boonen

jeffr wrote:Lots of pictures here :

Bit late to join the thread here but the bike looks awesome Jeff!! Sounds scary to assemble though :lol:
Thanks for all the pictures, hope you enjoy the ride :D

jeffr

by jeffr

So I'd like some advice on gearing please! I'm trying to work this out, using the following formula:

((wheel size in cm * (ring teeth / cog teeth) * rpm * 60 minutes) / cm per km) * km per miles = mph

So for example:

((2095 * (53.0 / 11.0) * 110 * 60) / 1000000) * 0.62137119 = 41.396370048989994
((2095 * (53.0 / 19.0) * 110 * 60) / 1000000) * 0.62137119 = 23.96631950204684

This is the usable range of my present cassette/big ring with my approximate tt cadence. This is the gear I'd most use on the flats:

((2095 * (53.0 / 17.0) * 110 * 60) / 1000000) * 0.62137119 = 26.785886502287649

This means I only have one gear below my normal crusing gear when tt'ing! I'd much rather have some more above and below. So should I consider a smaller big ring? Putting a cassette with larger teeth on the walser is not going to go well I expect. I'd much rather put on a 50t ring, for example. I know most pros go to larger rings but I'm not a pro and want something reasonable for me.

50t would give me 39.0mph - 22mph in 11-19 teeth with 26.8mph in 16. This looks much better. Comments?

KF

by KF

I'm not that good with the geartables... :oops:

However, I ride a 54/42 front and 12/21 rear.

That seems to work for me, and I have plenty of gears on both sides of what I can cruise with.
- G. Digital K. Loco

efahl

by efahl

Yeah, I agree with KF on this, keep it big and use the small ring. If you end up in a race with a decent tail wind on one leg, then you'll want that big gear. I have run out of gear TTing on a 52-13 in those situations (back in the pre-cassette days with a 6-speed straight block), wished I had a 12 or 11 in the back or at least a 53-54 in the front...

frode

by frode

Guess you have to paint your bottle black eh? Its standing out like....well like fergie in the peas :-)

KF

by KF

@Jeffr

Does it still ride like a charm?
- G. Digital K. Loco

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffr

by jeffr

I have updated the pictures at:

http://www.chesapeake.net/~jroberson/walser/

My girlfriend took a few of me on the walser at the velodrome. I'm having some trouble getting my watts up. The earlier poster was right, my saddle was too high, and may still be. I'm losing ~40 watts over my road position as it is now. When I ride at the power I can sustain on the road bike I hover just under 27mph.

I have disassembled it for now, however. I'm painting the fork this week and I got something very special from pritchet74. I'm also doing some tuning to get the weight down just a little bit. I'll have some new pictures when it's all sorted out.

Now that I have ridden it on a very windy TT course (thanks hooker_elite!) , I can say that it handles incredibly. I'm getting very comfortable with the bike and I'm continuously surprised by it. Hopefully I can get my position/power sorted out and post some great 20k tt times!