Tubular vs Clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OLver

by OLver

What are the advantages of a clincher versus a tubular?

... I don't see any, except the price...
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

well, I'm going to tell you basically what the advantages of each are, and then after that a bunch of people are going to disagree. imo, tubulars are better for racing. A normal weight tubular tire is lighter than a normal weight tire/tube combo (no superlight tires and tubes). In addition to this, tubulars feel a lot faster to me and from what i have heard, have less rolling resistance (insert a disagreement from an engineer here). Anyway, I have also noticed tubs are much less likely to flat. Clinchers are better to train on, because tires and tubes are cheap and easy to replace.

OLver

by OLver

Thanks Dan,
But I knew what were the advantages of Tubular over Clinchers, but I'd like to know what are the advantages of Clinchers versus tubular. Why some pros are riding on clinchers even if tubulars are lot better? sponsor?

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

sponsors would rather hand them a bucket of clinchers than tubulars. mechanics would rather have to only fix clinchers, rather than reglue tubies.

When the Riso Scotti team switched over to Conti's clinchers, their mechanics were over the moon with joy. They lost a major pain in the ass part of their job.

Mathieu

by Mathieu

Yup, the clinchers save a lot of time. And it's cheaper :lol: 8)