Have I made the cycling gods angry?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bruiser

by Bruiser

I purchased a frame on ebay a while ago, just after a cheap frame to lace with 98 RSX from a previous bike to use as a training rig.

It turns out my $300 frame is an Alchemy with Sc7000 tubes (previously a team bike with low k's :? )

I've almost finished building it up with the parts (which I'm polishing as I go) but will I make the cycling gods angry if I present this dishonour to the world at largeImage

I'd like to buy a 9sp ultegra group when the 10sp pushes the price down. For the moment I hope the cycling gods will understand the abomination I have created.

martin

by martin

Bruiser wrote:I purchased a frame on ebay a while ago, just after a cheap frame to lace with 98 RSX from a previous bike to use as a training rig.

It turns out my $300 frame is an Alchemy with Sc7000 tubes (previously a team bike with low k's :? )

I've almost finished building it up with the parts (which I'm polishing as I go) but will I make the cycling gods angry if I present this dishonour to the world at largeImage

I'd like to buy a 9sp ultegra group when the 10sp pushes the price down. For the moment I hope the cycling gods will understand the abomination I have created.

I don't know if there are cycling gods, but bicycles can get angry at you if you mistreat them. Let me tell you this story:
I bought my first really good rig, a georgeous green Principia RSL ,in 1998, equipped it with Syncros, Campa Record and Suntour Superbe Pro, and promised it it would be my No.1 for at least the next 10 or 15 years.

But then i got an orange 2000 Principia REX frame for very little money, so the good stuff moved from the green RSL to the new frame, and the RSL got some cheap second-hand parts, avanti shifters, ancient Campa Victory crank and MTB pedals to serve me as a foul wather and winter training backup.
I must have hurt it badly, because the first few rides on it were hell:
it ripped its chain, it lost its rear derail. pulley, it rattled its cogs, and it punctured a *lot*.

It only forgave me when i gave it a bladed Mizuno fork, some nice light wheels with green nipples, a nice Lightweight disc for races and made it my No1 TT bike. It even may get equipped with my very best front wheel when the weather is right!
It has served me well ever since :-)
Attachments
The RSL when it was Nr. 1
The RSL when it was Nr. 1
The RSL as it is now (in race setup)
The RSL as it is now (in race setup)
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

I've done the opposite. My wife laughs because if one of my bikes gets consistently cranky, I throw it in teh garage and won't ride it for a while to "punish" it...heh...

haven't ahd to do that since my main road bike was flatting on every ride for a week..1 week in isolation and it was back to normal ;)